Basement Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement Build

I decided to start my own topic on my project rather than adding comments here and there on other posts.
    I picked a spot in my basement where I could build a sim room 13' wide x 17' long with 9' ceiling height.

Thanks Alex. I can't wait either. Getting close though.

Comment

After waiting for a long time for the GreenLine putting green carpet to arrive from Home Depot I cancelled the order. I found 24"x24" Sport Turf peel & stick carpet squares from EZ Carpet to cover the floor. At 1/2" with padding it matches nicely the height of the stance mats and Soft Strike hitting mat. And its nice for putting. I commend them for their quick shipping. I covered the front floor area with peel and stick carpet squares from Lowes in Smoke gray to blend with the walls.
      The picture shows the Carl's 8 1/2 x 10 screen and enclosure assembled.
      Last edited by lawrencejp42; 10-21-2020, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• lawrencejp42
        lawrencejp42 commented
        Editing a comment
        The correct screen enclosure size is 8x10.5x5'

• Alex.Morgan
        Alex.Morgan commented
        Editing a comment
        looks fantastic! great job

At this point the sim room is functionally complete. The EYEXO, Optoma projector, pc, touchscreen tablet and 4K 43" TCL smart TV are all connected and working as expected.
      After playing a few rounds I decided that I need some protection on the walls beside the stance mats because I'm concerned that a club might brush the wall so I am thinking of hanging a couple of tarps on either side. The room is narrow, approx 13' wide.
      I also want to move the screen enclosure closer than the current 12" to the back wall and will need some protection behind the screen to prevent walls from impacting the wall. This is because an occasional wild swing might hit the front EMT on the enclosure frame I know others have done this but it is impossible to search through all of the postings to find them. So any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comment

I'm a new forum member, but found this forum by searching for basement sim builds and your thread was one of the first I read. Excellent work, and thanks for the detailed descriptions. I'm about to embark on a build in my basement nearly identical to yours, except for my intention to use a desktop (with touch screen) rather than laptop and a Skytrak instead of the Eye XO. This thread has been remarkably helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrencejp42 View Post
          After waiting for a long time for the GreenLine putting green carpet to arrive from Home Depot I cancelled the order. I found 24"x24" Sport Turf peel & stick carpet squares from EZ Carpet to cover the floor. At 1/2" with padding it matches nicely the height of the stance mats and Soft Strike hitting mat. And its nice for putting. I commend them for their quick shipping. I covered the front floor area with peel and stick carpet squares from Lowes in Smoke gray to blend with the walls.
          The picture shows the Carl's 8 1/2 x 10 screen and enclosure assembled.
          Nice setup! How do you like the soft strike mat? Can you compare it to any other mats you've used? Would you be able to tell me the height of the mat? You mentioned the carpet squares are 1/2" thick. How thick is the padding you have underneath to match the height of the mat? I'm debating between this and a fiberbuilt setup.

Thanks!

Comment

• lawrencejp42
            lawrencejp42 commented
            Editing a comment
            The Soft Strike mat is the only one I have hit off. It is spring loaded so there is give fore and aft. I think it is fairly realistic. I got is and the stance mats after consulting with Jay Lasko (Golf Simulator Videos on YouTube). Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzzDInyEDhU.
            The Soft Strike mat is about 1.5 in tall. It sits on the concrete floor with the Dri Core tile (1" ) in front and back. When the 1/2" Sport Turf is layed on the Dri Core the transition is practically smooth.
            I hope this answers your question.

• linkkingx
            linkkingx commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes thanks. I saw Jay's video and just got some info from him as well. Not too many people have this mat so I'm just looking for some feedback. I'm a few months out on my sim build, but I currently have a fiberbuilt strip and quattro mat strip in an outdoor setup. I like the quattro but I'm worried about using it long term because I'm already experiencing some elbow pain. The soft strike looks like it will be more forgiving seeing how it moves and has softer foam underneath.

How does the 9 foot ceilings work for you?
          are you able to hit driver freely?

I also have the soft strike mat and really like it. I am still struggling without how to secure it permently and you have a great solution>
          my only concern is it might be too forgiving but so far has not been a problem in real golf so far
          Last edited by Jnc10; 10-22-2020, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• lawrencejp42
            lawrencejp42 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have to mention that my sim build was just completed Monday. I have no long term experience hitting from the Soft Strike mat but I have followed Jay very closely since I found this forum and believe he has fairly evaluated most of the systems and equipment and trust his judgement.
            Regarding the 9' ceiling I am 5'8" tall so there is no issue for me but I think a 6' person might encounter a problem with the driver. If I had conceived the sim idea before construction I would have gone 2 feet deeper in that section of the basement. I am experiencing "indoor syndrome" and just starting to get comfortable with a full swing. So far so good.
            I am a 16 hcp. I have noticed from the beginning that the shots with all clubs (except putter) on the sim seem to be flying and carrying shorter than on a golf course. Maybe its the "syndrome" or maybe I think I'm hitting farther than I actually am.. I'm 77 and know I don't hit very far. At first I suspected it was the EYEXO. I checked the calibration and it is OK.

• Jnc10
            Jnc10 commented
            Editing a comment
            I had that same problem and took a month before I was hitting it the same as outdoors

• Dax
            Dax commented
            Editing a comment
            I have about 9’2” ceiling and grip down about an inch for my driver just to be sure, but I would say for someone who is 5’11” this would be the minimum.

I wanted to post a picture showing how flush the 2 stance mats, Soft Strike mat and Sport Turf carpet from EX Carpet intersections are. I might have mentioned earlier that I raised the 2 stance mats with left over 3/8" drywall. I'm really pleased with the overall look and feel of the flooring.
          BTW - there have been many questions on the forum about ball bounce back and I will say the Carl's screen absorbs most of the energy and the remainder is transferred to the Sport Turf. The ball usually rolls back to the Soft Strike and stops.
          But see my next post about the screen dimples after only a few days of use.
          Last edited by lawrencejp42; 10-23-2020, 03:45 PM.

Comment

After a few days of use the Carl's Preferred impact screen has several impact dimples. I'm not happy with that. It doesn't affect the play but it does give the false impression of green undulations. Not sure what to do about this.

Comment

• Adrenaline
              Adrenaline commented
              Editing a comment
              I wonder if their premium screen is better?

• lawrencejp42
              lawrencejp42 commented
              Editing a comment
              I am interested in other's experiences. A double layer construction might be more durable. The fabric needs to be able to elongate but also return to its original shape. I am old and my ball speed is <100 mph. This shouldn't happen.

• Cheeselog8
              Cheeselog8 commented
              Editing a comment
              I had the same issue with the Carl's Preferred screen. Way too many impact marks, I expected some but it was much worse than I anticipated. I ended up getting a "direct form the mill" screen and it is much improved. Not sure you can still order the direct from the mill screen but people have said that it is comparable to the Carl's Premium.

Just some thoughts:
            1) Soft Strike Mat: Been hitting off it for several months, great mat with not wrist pain...I bought the stance mats along with it, the strike mat sits about 3/8 inch above the stance mats-I bought some Apache Mills Inc, 12x12 3/8 inch rubber squares at Lowes and placed them below the the stance mats--they matched up perfectly level.
            2) Attaching Soft Strike Mat to concrete floor: My mat and stance mats are recessed into my hitting floor (1 inch think foam squares below 1/2 inch putting green turf) and none of my are attached to the floor and they don't move...I found that double sided carpet tape is plenty strong to hold anything to the concrete floor (don't need much at all to hold anything to floor)
            3) Carls Premium Screen: I have a 16x9 screen and I am hitting from 9 feet back--I find that I hit almost all my shots into an 8 inch diameter section on the screen, however, I do notice that the screen will bow in a bit after a number of hits and it can look odd when putting, however, you control the putting direction from the computer so it doesn't really play a roll in my putting...

Comment

• linkkingx
              linkkingx commented
              Editing a comment
              Your build sounds very similar to what I'm planning. My space is going to be 16'x36'. I'm considering the soft stike mat with the stance portions as well. The height of the soft strike mat according to the rep I'm in contact with is 1-3/8". You mentioned you have 1" foam squares and 1/2" putting turf for your surrounding floor. Does that make it level with the installed soft strike mat or did you have to raise the hitting strip up a little bit? I was considering 3/4" foam tiles with the 1/2" turf on top. If my calculations are correct that will put the soft strike 1/8" above my surrounding turf. I think for putting, I'd rather have the ball drop off the mat very slightly and keep rolling rather than have it bounce over the seam. Does that make sense?

• DreamsofaGamer
              DreamsofaGamer commented
              Editing a comment
              For some reason, my stance mats were about 3/8 inch lower than the hitting strip, so I had to add the additional flooring under the stance mats...that made those 3 pieces perfectly level...my turf was just over 1/2 inch on top of the 1 inch foam tiles...making the entire floor even...

• Jnc10
              Jnc10 commented
              Editing a comment
              you have the hitting and stance mats all held down by carpet tape?
              which carpet tape did you use?

linkkingx - my subfloor is 1" Dri Core tile (interlocking OSB on top of foam pads purchased from Menards). The Soft Strike mat sits on the concreted floor and the stance mats are raised 3/8" with drywall panels. The area is surrounded by 1/2" Sport Turf carpet squares. The Soft Strike mat is perhaps 1/8" above the carpet squares. It makes no difference because I am about 8' from the screen and the EYEXO captures the ball movement before it leaves the Soft Strike. I think the Sport Turf is a good texture match with the Soft Strike. Putting is no problem except for lack of skill!

Comment

• linkkingx
              linkkingx commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I've been to a lot of commercial setups where the hitting strip and surrounding turf are flush but the ball usually takes a hard bounce over the seam while putting. I have a GC2 so it won't affect the read, but it will annoy the hell out of me, haha. If the turf is slightly lower I think the ball will just roll off the edge of the mat and keep going with minimal interference.

I have a short video showing shots during my front 9 round at Bandon Trails on EYE XO/TGC 2019. https://youtu.be/rGzmnTCkIUY

Comment

How is the 13' width? I'm also a lefty, but want my friends to be able to play too. So, want a centered matt.

Comment

• lawrencejp42
                lawrencejp42 commented
                Editing a comment
                chrisbr: Not a problem for me. I was worried at first that I was going to hit something with my driver but I am more comfortable now that isn't going to happen. My follow through is still a little inhibited but I know I will overcome the "indoor golf syndrome." But I am 5'8" tall and don't swing the club around my body. My ceiling is only 9' high. Admittedly it is a tight fit but I am very happy with the result. I haven't had friends over yet. That will be the test. How tall are you?

• chrisrbr
                chrisrbr commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm 5'5" and my wife is 5'--and both lefties!, so perhaps I could offset it slightly so that the righties will have a bit more room??

After using the sim for about 2 weeks I decided to hang black moving blankets behind the screen to soften the ball's impact against the wall. I used Ultra Thick Pro 80x72 blankets from Mixwholesale (eBay), doubled and held with tarp clips and bungees. I am pleased with the result

Comment

A few more shots from the sim room

Comment

Can I ask how much you paid for the soft strike strip, I am interested, but Jay let me know they are not taking orders until mid Dec. I might have to get something sooner then that, probably a Fiberbuilt. Thanks

Comment

• lawrencejp42
                    lawrencejp42 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes I paid $450 for the soft strike and 2 stance mats
                Working...
                X