QED - Modify fiberbuilt mat for putting strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QED - Modify fiberbuilt mat for putting strip

I'm still waiting for Fedex to properly route and deliver my QED, but since I decided to go that route this past week and the putting is apparently very good with this unit, I wanted to see what I could do to improve what I have in my initial sim build to accommodate better putting. Now, of course, I wish I had a full floor with a sunken mat, ect, but the QED already blew my budget and I'm trying to stick with what I have now.

I thought I read somewhere that the area the QED can read from is 18" wide. The hitting area on my 4x5 Fiberbuilt is 12" wide so I thought through a few ways I might be able to use that ~6" for a putting strip. I know everyone has different mats, but curious if anyone has modified theirs in a way to do this. The main reason for doing this is that the stance mat has some curve in it, especially towards the outer edges and either way, the rubber corner is in the path and is raised about .25" above the grass.

I haven't cut the fiberbuilt stance mat yet, but the current design I have going is to cut ~6" off of the stance mat and insert a putting strip. The pic here shows my rough work on it to see if it will work. I have some left over putting grass from a green I put in the yard earlier this year. Basically, I have .75" of board under the putting strip which makes the top of the grass dead level with the rubber corner of the mat. Those corners are there to hold the stance mat in place and I don't want to cut anything away from there. I did roll a few putts on the strip and it rolls right over the rubber corner like it's not there. If this works, I'm thinking I'll need to put a short extension of the putting strip past the rubber corner to the screen to make sure the ball rolls as it should until it gets out of camera range so I get a proper calculation. Then it can fall and roll into the mat.

Thoughts? Good idea, terrible idea? I think the mat will stay in place pretty well even if it's really only tucked into the rear rubber corners. I could possibly try to find a way to affix the stance mat to the putting strip so that it mechanically is under all 4 rubber corners in the end.

I have the FB hitting strip embedded into a DIY platform. I do not putt of the FB strip. I putt off the smooth turf surface that serves as the stance mat. I have my QED setup in my garage which has slightly sloped floors. My platform accounts for that and is a level surface so that QED can get accurate readings. For putting I created a turf ramp that allows for smooth roll off front of platform towards the screen. The turf piece a turf tile from EZ Carpet and is sample piece that cost $2.99. It works great.
    Attached Files

Comment

That's very cool! Yeah, there's really no way to putt off of the FB strip. I love the $2.99 mat, great idea

Well, the QED showed up yesterday, and wow....what a machine! It picked up shots everywhere on the hitting mat and it picked up the puts from the strip I have in there perfectly. I've probably hit hundreds of shots since late yesterday and the stance mat didn't move at all on me (this is with ~6" hanging over the back of the foundation) so I'm thinking this idea will work and I can always splice the mat back together if needed.

My garage floor is really uneven, as well. It's not the main garage, it's a side garage that was put on the house after it was built. In 12' of run I have right at 1" of slope. When I was initially building out the room, I knew I was going to have to fix that. I didn't want anything permanent, so I built a frame out of 2x4 and lined with plastic. Then I used self leveling concrete to make a mold to put the mat on. If I wanted to redo the hitting / putting area down the road, I'd have to find some way to do that across that entire area.

Comment

Well, I went ahead and made the cuts, the mat works great for everything, including pitching from the putting strip if you want to practice from the fringe - here's how it looks in its finished state!

Comment

• 3on3putt
          3on3putt commented
          Editing a comment
          How close are you to that screen?

• leibin
          leibin commented
          Editing a comment
          About 7’
      Working...
      X