Projector recs and mounting location advice with QED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projector recs and mounting location advice with QED

Building out my first sim with QED. I've been researching these forums for months and the only thing I can not figure out is the projector. I have plenty space for a full throw projector, howeverI do not want to have shadows. I'd also prefer to have the projector mounted above or behind the hitting area. Here are my room and enclosure dimensions.

Room 13W x 23L x10.5H
    Screen 10.5W x 8H (enclosure 5 feet deep from Carl's Place) This screen will be 4:3 aspect ratio.
    Hitting zone 10-12 feet from screen with QED mounted 3.5 feet behind hitting area.

I'll be using Ignite and TGC 2019, computer is Dell G5 (intel i7, 16GB, windows 10, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB GDDR6).

I'd like to stay in the $800-1200 range, and was checking these models out on projector central:
    -Optoma HD39HDR
    -Optoma EH412
    -BenQ MH733.

Any advice on projector and whether to mount in front or behind the QED is much appreciated. Cheers!

Did you ever pull the trigger on one of these projectors? I am looking at the Optoma HD39HDRx and BenQ MH733 myself.​

Comment

I just got the Optoma GT1080HDR. It is great. They are now under $800. I got an open box on eBay for $700. Most important thing, You want to check the Throw distance - use ProjectorCentral throw distance calculator. Issue with projectors like the Optoma ES412H for example is it has limited zoom, so to get the image size you are after that projector will have to be nearly 20ft from the screen and you will cast shadows, additionally the image probably won’t be bright enough. Hope this helps

Comment

• Brettster
        Brettster commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, that's true... shadows are almost gone on mine, I am hanging at about 9' height and 15' back from screen. Have to be about 5' from screen to see shadows, so hitting area is fine. Make sure you have good Keystone Correction dial(s), that's the best way to know that at any angle it still looks ok. Though mine seems fine, even if it's more like a trapazoid shape at the highest keystone!
    Working...
    X