Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour 2021-2022

Join the most exciting Golf Simulator Tour!

Tournaments are open to golfers of all ages and skill levels. Get in on the excitement of Golf Simulator Tours, Challenges and Tournaments: https://golfsimulatortours.com
See more
See less

Garage Sim Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Sim Upgrade

My garage sim has gone through many variations over the past 1.5 years. I'm always looking to make things better. My latest upgrade -- covering the entire landing area with putting turf -- is one of the greatest things I've ever done. I know this isn't groundbreaking but from where I was with my stance/hitting mat sliding all over the place and a poor putting area it's a big upgrade. I used 1" EVA interlocking rigid foam tiles and covered it with Rymar Pro Putt turf and recessed a YGT-3D hitting strip into the turf. I' going to add some putting cups I ordered from Birdie Ball to make the 250 sq. ft. a putting area.

When my wife came in the garage and said "I guess I'll never be parking in here again" I replied "that's correct, honey.".

Looks good. That's the goal for my garage. I doubt I'll get the same response about not parking in the garage though

Comment

That looks great! Congratulations on that, it must feel awesome.

I'm working at the moment on flooring in my shed (concrete). I'm planning on framing the floor around edges (2x4s) and with joists (2x4s), then screwing that to the outer rim boards, dropping in 2" insulation board, covering with 1/2" plywood (underlayment) and adding turf. I will also want to cut out for a drop in a similar type of hitting strip.

Can you tell me where you got your turf (Rymar pro putt), how much is it, and that hitting strip (YGT-3D)? I'm still deciding on what type of turf, are you able to put anywhere on the pro putt? What kind of stimp is it?

TIA,
      -Brett

Comment

Your plan sounds solid and will offer plenty of depth when you insert your hitting strip or if you insert a stance mat.

I got the Rymar Pro Putt at a local Rymar dealer. I'm in Calgary, Canada. The price was $5.00/linear foot for a 15' roll so the piece I purchased was 14 linear feet ($1050). Not cheap but worth in, IMO. I just laid the entire piece over the interlocking EVA tiles and didn't fasten or adhere it and it sits nice and flat. You can put from anywhere on the turf. It's about a 10 stimp, I believe. There is another product I looked at after called Augusta Putting Green by Synlawn. I wish I had gone with that. It was a bit more expensive but looked and felt way more durable.

The YGT-3D hitting strip I ordered from China - I emailed a guy named Steven. There is a thread about it on this forum. I really like it so far. It's basically a Quattro mat. I ordered a 48"X18" and I'm not even sure why. I've had it for over a year and now I'm finally using it.

Comment

Thanks JayJo13 ... I see this putting turf is not going to be cheap... It looks like I've got to drop $600+ USD to cover 12'x16', have you ever tried that cheap stuff they sell at big box stores (Lowe's, Menard's in USA), up where you live? I may go there and test it out, just to see, but we have some on our porch that has probably been down for 30+ years and is still fine.... about to test it for putting though, and it's probably terrible with that I've heard of Synlawn too, it's expensive as well.... more durable than the Rymar, cool.

I remember hearing about the YGT-3D hitting strip... I think I even tried to contact 'Steve' about that, but never got a reply? How did you reach someone for that purchase? How much did you pay for the YGT-3D? That is just the small hitting strip in the middle - is it holding up? I could see that being useful for fairway action, but does it provide any ability to dig down, like a divot action? Every time I try those type of mats that are not Fiberbuilt I end up with all kinds of wrist pain!

Comment

Hey man I’m up here in Fort mac and I’m wondering where you got those floor controls? I’ve got a GC2 I use with TGC2019 and I’d love to find one of those. Preferably not one I need to build myself haha I’m not all that tech savvy.

Comment

I built that one myself. Ordered a plastic box and the arcade buttons from Amazon. It was actually pretty easy to build. You could also just buy one from https://www.roxorgolf.com/store

Comment

Originally posted by Brettster View Post
              Thanks JayJo13 ... I see this putting turf is not going to be cheap... It looks like I've got to drop $600+ USD to cover 12'x16', have you ever tried that cheap stuff they sell at big box stores (Lowe's, Menard's in USA), up where you live? I may go there and test it out, just to see, but we have some on our porch that has probably been down for 30+ years and is still fine.... about to test it for putting though, and it's probably terrible with that I've heard of Synlawn too, it's expensive as well.... more durable than the Rymar, cool.

I remember hearing about the YGT-3D hitting strip... I think I even tried to contact 'Steve' about that, but never got a reply? How did you reach someone for that purchase? How much did you pay for the YGT-3D? That is just the small hitting strip in the middle - is it holding up? I could see that being useful for fairway action, but does it provide any ability to dig down, like a divot action? Every time I try those type of mats that are not Fiberbuilt I end up with all kinds of wrist pain!
              The original version of my sim was that cheap outdoor carpet from Home Depot. I never putted on it as I had a hitting mat and then a putting strip right in front of that. It worked fine but the mat always moved around and I was constantly adjusting it, which is why I switched it up. Honestly, I wish I had just done it this way to begin. Yes it's expensive but worth it, IMO.

I ordered the YGT-3D mat from Steven, just sent him an email steven@yuhegolfmats.com. This was back in May of 2020 so not sure if he's still around. I ordered an 18"x48" strip and it was $110 USD + $60 USD for shipping.

Comment

• Brettster
                Brettster commented
                Editing a comment
                thanks for followup... I'm still debating the cheap indoor/outdoor carpet, but likely will go with something nice as far as turf, probably from http://www.purchasegreen.com (can easily drop over $500 here for what I want, may be one of the more expensive parts of my sim).

Hows' that mat holding up from Steven? Not a bad price... so many mats to try out too... just to want to get the screen up and start hitting soon - weather is changing fast... but still a few more 50 to 60 degree days.

Yeah I was surprise how much good turf was. It was something I didn't really account for when I started building my sim. But if you do it right and get good turf it makes a big difference, IMO.

I really like the YGT-3D hitting strip. It is holding up well but I've only hit a couple of hundred shots on it. No signs of wear or anything yet. I also got a Fibrebuilt strip because everyone has been raving about it but I really don't like it at all. I don't find it realistic and you can't compress the ball at all. Yes, easy on the joints but it comes at a price. That's just my opinion, I know most people love them.

Golf season here is pretty much over. I'll play my last outdoor round of the year today and my course is closed on Tuesday next week. Excited for indoor golf season, though.

Comment

I think someone on this forum, maybe Celeras found an indoor padded turf that was cheaper than some of the putting turf you're mentioning. I can't find the topic that it was mentioned. And I apologize if I tagged the wrong person.

Comment

• DS12
                  DS12 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Celeras, yep that was it, I knew I saw you had decent pricing but forgot the website

• Brettster
                  Brettster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Celeras and DS12 - you're right it's cheaper and I can buy narrower widths which makes it much less expensive! That's a good idea to keep it to the landing area as I plan on filling around the edges with thicker 'Fringe' anyway for chipping. Did you glue yours down Celeras? How is it holding up and how good is it at holding line for putts? I think I would prefer to velcro, or tape it down, just in case, but if that is a problem, I could see glueing it - just hate to think of slopping over my brand new flooring underlayment with carpet glue.

Wow, just priced it out and that 84 sq. foot number (12x7) is only $20/shipping $20/tax - so just around $300 that's reasonable.

• Celeras
                  Celeras commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Brettster Mine is on hardwood so I just used carpet tape. It's holding up fine for my purposes, but watching putts roll wasn't a consideration for me. My putts drop off a fiberbuilt (landing area isnt level with the stance mat) so I'm probably not the best judge of how it holds a line: https://i.imgur.com/BdhjuaJ.jpg

I'm sure it's not as good in that regard as more expensive alternatives actually labelled as putting turf.

Looks awesome. I don’t think I would get away with telling my wife she can’t park in the garage anymore though. 😏

Comment

I saw you original build post and I'm wondering - are you still using the screen that you got from heavydutytarps.ca or have you switched to something else? The screen in these photos looks like a finer weave.

I'm just setting up my system and I have to say that I'm not impressed at all with the picture quality on the screen that I got from HDT.ca

Curious to get some feedback on how you improved it, or what you upgraded to!

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by b.cortese View Post
                    I saw you original build post and I'm wondering - are you still using the screen that you got from heavydutytarps.ca or have you switched to something else? The screen in these photos looks like a finer weave.

I'm just setting up my system and I have to say that I'm not impressed at all with the picture quality on the screen that I got from HDT.ca

Curious to get some feedback on how you improved it, or what you upgraded to!

Thanks in advance.
                    Yes, I have upgraded my screen and basically entire setup. My original setup was made to be disassembled so we could park cars in the garage but that turned out to be too much work so I started to plan something else. I ended up going with a Carl's enclosure and I am using a SQ-RAW screen from Par2Pro. Massive upgrade in picture quality, bounce-back, durability and general use and I'd highly recommend. The HDT screen was cheap and worked okay and I agree, very grainy and translucent as well.

Comment

Thanks for the info - I ended up hanging a white photo backdrop material in front of the coarse mesh and it produces a nice crisp image and the mesh absorbs the impact nicely so the fine fabric holds up. It has a bit of noise to it but mines inside a concrete room below a suspended slab garage so the wife never hears it anyway! Only problem is it starts to sag a bit after 100 shots or so but its easy to tension - i'll probably do a screen upgrade further down the road but for now... we're golfing!

Comment

Upgrade looks fantastic! I have a similar set up but have a 7’x10’ synlawn remnant as my landing turf and a mat butted up next to it. I also have a Mevo as my LM. Is the section that your Mevo sits on removable? Does that last section that the Mevo sits on just butt up to the main section?

After seeing this I think I have some work to do! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X