Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Genghis (NET) and @Bradford (GROSS) winning the TGC 2018 Spring Tour - ATT Byron Nelson !

Join this weeks TGC 2018 Spring Tour - Fort Worth Invitational with 2 rounds at Colonial CC (beta) : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...h-invitational
See more
See less

Build your own budget "golfboard" thing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build your own budget "golfboard" thing.

Video with 260lb rider:
    https://youtu.be/iACy6-plSdw

$200 Chinese off-road hoverboard + golf pull cart + scrap metal
    Last edited by Jerome; 05-15-2018, 12:05 AM.

Do not taunt happy fun ball. Looks fun and dangerous...

Comment

^^^
      Top speed 9mph. Transitions from path to rough can make you poo a little.

Haven't fallen yet.

Comment

• tron
        tron commented
        Editing a comment
        "poo a little?"

• Jerome
        Jerome commented
        Editing a comment
        poo a little -> soil your boxers.
        It is scary

Very cool. I think bigger wheels would help the poo factor. I have a Segway mini and it’s better in the grass and off-road. However, it’s not possible to attach like that because of how it works. I’ve considered getting a 10-inch pneumatic wheel hover board to do something similar to what you’ve done there.

Comment

• frodaddy00
        frodaddy00 commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember shortly after the Segway craze there was a course here in Atlanta (Wolf Creek near Hartsfield airport) that had segway single rider carts. I heard about it and went down to try it out only to hear they had discontinued it.. not sure if there were accidents and/or the insurance risk was too great.

At any rate the idea was definitely intriguing.

I thought about the 10” overboard and the Segway but they were a no-go because of the max weight limit of 220 lbs. I'm a fatty, 260lbs, and wanted to be able to test the thing. This off-road hoverboard wheel diameter is 8.5 inches and the tires are a bit wider(less turf stress) than the 10” overboard. I think the ideal would be: 12” diameter, 6” width and 500 watts per wheel. The hoverboard I used is 350 watts per wheel.

Comment

• Godfather
        Godfather commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point about the tire width. I tried a push cart with my Segway minipro and it was too unnatural and possibly dangerous.

• Jerome
        Jerome commented
        Editing a comment
        Without a solid link from the drive wheels to the front castor and bag it would be unruly. In this version, 100% of steering is done with the feet. I'm only holding on to the bag for my balance.

How did you connect around the axle to the hover board? I like your compact design. Can it be pushed if the battery dies?

Here is another one I came across for anyone else interested in a DIY:

Comment

• Jerome
        Jerome commented
        Editing a comment
        The "axle" is part of the hoverboard. Really is is two half axles about four inches long each held in by a clamping mechanism.
        They do not spin because there is a hub motor in each of the wheels. 5:43 of this video shows a small hoverboard clamp:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IieBKIfCvWU.
        With wheels/shafts removed it was easy to fit the bracket to the hoverboard and reattached the wheels. Bracket has a holes for the wheel shafts to fit through. Bracket "floats" with a plastic bushings on the wheel shafts.

When the battery is dead it rolls easy. Rolls like a 30lb push cart.
        Last edited by Jerome; 05-16-2018, 04:35 PM.

Been doing some on course testing. I get 6-7 holes on the internal 4AH battery on a slightly hilly course following 90* cart rules. Planning to add a 10AH external battery pack mounted on the bracket crossbar. The 14AHs should get anyone under 250lbs around an average 18 hole track.

Comment

• Jerome
        Jerome commented
        Editing a comment
        Was too cheap to pull the trigger on a 10+AH battery pack. Ordered a 4.4AH replacement hoverboard battery which there is space inside the hoverboard for. I will add it and continue to test with the combineded 8.4 AH in my nine hole evening golf league. Should be more than enough power for 9 holes.
        Last edited by Jerome; 05-19-2018, 08:22 PM.

I bought a 10” hoverboard, 10” swivel caster wheel (heavy and probably overkill, but couldn’t find any lightweight, big diameter ones), a donor handlebar that attaches around the center of the hoverboard (instead of like you did by the “axles”), and an old donor pull cart.

If you have any recommendations before the parts all arrive, I’m all ears.

I’d love to swap out the big heavy swivel caster wheel with a pull cart wheel, but not sure how to make that work.

Comment

• Jerome
        Jerome commented
        Editing a comment
        I worry about connecting the bag load at the center point and pushing that load. I don't see how you can eliminate slop/play. That slop in the joint especially while traversing along a side hill could force the whole unit down the hill.

Pulling/towing the bag load might work better with a center connection to the hoverboard.

Took a video while test charging system with second battery to show the bracket attachment.

Last edited by Jerome; Yesterday, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X