Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @graham camm (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2021 WINTER TOUR - Sony Open in Hawaii !

Join this weeks TGC1 2021 WINTER TOUR - The American Express playing 2 rounds at PGA West (Palmer)thursday - 6487y: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...erican-express
See more
See less

What about 3D printed tees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about 3D printed tees?

I did a quick search and didn't see anyone mention it. Anybody try it? I'm going to try it with flexible TPU filament(waiting for the printer to be delivered). Here is a GIF of model I built in Blender: Click image for larger version  Name:	tee.gif Views:	0 Size:	392.4 KB ID:	305833
    The slicer says it will cost 9 cents to print.

Tried to copy tomahawk design. Uploaded animated GIF doesn't always work so Youtube:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/190J...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Jerome; 12-27-2020, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• Jerome
      Jerome commented
      Editing a comment
      Printed this in PLA just to test my printer. Broke second swing. Setting up TPU print now.

• Jerome
      Jerome commented
      Editing a comment
      TPU version was still serviceable after 20 driver shots. I'll print 9 more overnight.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4078821/comments

Comment

• Jnc10
      Jnc10 commented
      Editing a comment
      I printed these and they look really good. I will test them tonight to see how they hold up

I built a more traditional style of tee which I've been using for a couple years. If you're wondering, the hex base helps with tees rolling away. I usually print these out of TPE because it's both flexible and indestructible, but I've also used generic TPU and NinjaFlex, which are both far easier to print. The one shown below is actually printed with flexible resin on my SLA printer and was a test a to see how they stand up (Spoiler - they only last a few rounds before disintegrating. I don't usually print them solid but you do want a high level of infill to add both strength and weight. The "30" designation is the height in millimetres, which I've decided is the best height for me

I have also printed a few of these with a hole in the bottom that can accept the shaft of a regular wooden tee (and some superglue) so I can use them on a real course as well. This ensures that my desired tee height is preserved in the real world as well.

The STL file is here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4699829

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1263.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	307144
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Image 2020-12-28 at 8.23 AM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.0 KB ID:	307145
    Last edited by javaman; 12-28-2020, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• Jerome
      Jerome commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, added to my list of tees to test.

• leibin
      leibin commented
      Editing a comment
      Solid design Do the TPU ones last for more than a few rounds?

Yes TPU is pretty good. The durability is largely determined by the amount of infill. The current design on Thingiverse does have some added strength and I’ve played with the same one for a couple dozen rounds.

Comment

• Jnc10
      Jnc10 commented
      Editing a comment
      I made this with 20% infill with some goo quality TPU and it broke in 3 swings at the base where it meets the skinnier part
      how much infill do you normally use?

Originally posted by javaman View Post
    Yes TPU is pretty good. The durability is largely determined by the amount of infill. The current design on Thingiverse does have some added strength and I’ve played with the same one for a couple dozen rounds.
    Solid! I'm resizing one now and giving it a go, will let you how it turns out

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	D8647608-907E-48A4-9F55-E8AD1E577DE6.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	307296 This is what I printed today
      Attached Files

Comment

I had this idea last night. The thought is to vector the energy down and the tee wont fly away.

Comment

• Jerome
          Jerome commented
          Editing a comment
          For 100mph club head speed, If the club hits the tee 1 inch behind the ball it will strike the ball 0.006 seconds later. My thinking was that the ball would not move much in 6 thousands of a second. This design is moot for me anyway.

Being able to print(got my printer yesterday) and test designs helps a lot. Tomahawk like design (post #46) in TPU 0.2mm layers was good for 20+ swings. The cone shape is a big issue. The cone adds rigidity that we don't want. A sideways printed version of post #42 is much stronger and more flexible but it needs supports to print which is a pain. I just printed ,vertically, a non-cone version of post #42 with feet but no holes(i will punch the holes because they don't print well). Will test this soon.

I like post #48 but that base at the bottom has too much mass and thus inertia. It is going to want to stay in place while the top wants to shoot off at 100mph.
          Last edited by Jerome; 12-30-2020, 02:41 PM.

• Jnc10
          Jnc10 commented
          Editing a comment
          yep. i snapped a #48 right at the base in 3 swings

• Jerome
          Jerome commented
          Editing a comment
          Sideways printed tee still split between layers. Increasing temp to 250 and changing layer to 0.1mm.

This went 15 shots with no signs of damage in 35F weather before I lost it.
        TPU, 250 nozzle, 0.1mm layers. 20mm/sec speed.
        No supports and printed upright.
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ob7...ew?usp=sharing
        Click image for larger version  Name:	best.png Views:	0 Size:	37.3 KB ID:	307779
        Last edited by Jerome; 12-30-2020, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I printed version 6 of this tee and it seems to hold up the best out of all I have printed

Comment

If anyone gets an update on that Fibrebuilt ramp, please let me know!

Comment

I have a new design that lasted pretty well, but I ordered some Ninjaflex TPU with a hardness of 85A vs at least 95A on what I've been using. Should be here in a couple of days. I think I'll be able to do something closer to the birtee design and have longevity with it. I'll update the thread as that progresses.

Comment

Please make sure these stand up on fiberbuilt mats. The tomahawk tees were way more durable than the birtees, but they can’t stand up on the fiberbuilt mat(they just sink down in it).

Comment

• leibin
                  leibin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, still have that in mind. I tried the tomahawk on my FB and had the same issues. I built a diy divot action and might try the tomahawks again, but trying to make a tee for either setup.

Does anyone have designing skills? If I draw out a sketch/schematic of what could work as a ramp for a fibrebuilt mat, could anyone draw and make it a printable file? My dad just got an Ender 3 Pro for Christmas but he does not know how to draw yet. I would include all dimensions so there was no guess work.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mahoooner View Post
                  Does anyone have designing skills? If I draw out a sketch/schematic of what could work as a ramp for a fibrebuilt mat, could anyone draw and make it a printable file? My dad just got an Ender 3 Pro for Christmas but he does not know how to draw yet. I would include all dimensions so there was no guess work.

Thanks!
                  I could give it a whirl, draw it up! I have the same mat, so I’m interested

Comment

• Mahoooner
                    Mahoooner commented
                    Editing a comment
                    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1id4...ew?usp=sharing

Here's my attempt at 3D drawing for a fibrebuilt mat ramp. Let me know if you think it might work. Little super glue and push those halves together to make it 12.75" wide to fit perfectly with the hitting strip on the mat.

Here is a birdTee model attempt. I haven't tried to print it, I'm very happy with the tee in post#53.
                  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xG5...ew?usp=sharing.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	bird.png Views:	0 Size:	169.0 KB ID:	312898

[edit] printed in TPU, lasted about 12 shots in 35F shed.
                  Last edited by Jerome; 01-19-2021, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Jerome
                    Jerome commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks, after I printed it I noticed the bottom torus(ring) is too thin. Anyone that prints it might want to add a thicker one.

• Mahoooner
                    Mahoooner commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Would you be able to add a thicker ring and reupload the file? Appreciate the work! I am still learning so don't trust myself with making modifications.

• Jerome
                    Jerome commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thicker ring:
                    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q10...ew?usp=sharing
                Working...
                X