Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blades vs Game improvement irons

Hello Everyone!
    My first topic here (I only replied to the one about the asian version of skytrak that I mistakenly just purchased ...) so some info about myself.
    I'm a 38 yold software developer, and I just started playing golf in October 2020... I'm completely addicted and I'm always looking for time to practice or play short or full courses.
    At the moment I'm gaming the following:
    Ping G15 Driver s-flex
    Ping G15 Hybrid 4, Irons 5-PW
    Ping i-wedge AW 50
    Ping G-series SW (54) and LW (58)
    I am slowly making progress, taking indoor lessons every week, and I'm currently scoring ~115 on Par 72 courses, so i'm an extremely high handicapper :P

Yesterday I went to talk to another teacher that gives on-course lessons (playing 9 or 18 holes on a very nice course nearby) and during our chat he let me hit a few balls at the range with his clubs... which were Ping Blueprint irons...

Needless to say, I loved his clubs so much!... so much smaller at approach but for some reason not scary, and I was hitting them quite well, basically the same distance as my current clubs.

I didn't have my own clubs so couldn't make a direct comparison, so maybe the dispersion would have been larger, but with those clubs I really FELT the hit, I could tell if I hit a ball at the toe, or too low on the face, my hands actually hurt a couple of times, but a good pain if that makes sense :P
    When I hit with my clubs, I often feel like I don't understand why the ball went the direction it went... when I shank it it doesn't feel any different from when I hit it more centered...

So my question is... is it really better for high handicap players to use game improvement irons? I mean I understand that the scores would probably be better, but can a player really reach his full potention playing those clubs?

I really want to improve, my goal for this year is to reliably break 100 on a Par72 course, and get to single digit handicap in a matter of a couple more years, I'm really committed to putting the effort required to do that...

Wouldn't a set of REAL irons, like the blueprint or other forged blades help me in the sense of giving me more feedback on each swing?

I guess in a way I'm trying to convince myself that I should just buy them :P but I'm not going to do that, I will wait until I break 100 and then get a fitting, but even then I don't want the fitter to think that he has to give me game improvement irons just because of my handicap, I want the player to improve before the score if that makes sense :P

What do you guys think?

The set you have looks solid, I'd wait a while unless you want to start collecting clubs. Club collection addiction can seek up on you. I had more than 20 sets of irons at one time.

[Edit] What dot color are your irons? Are you average height? A bad "fit" would be a good reason for a change.
    Last edited by Jerome; 03-01-2021, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Here is what I can tell you. Get professionally fit on Trackman and or GCQuad. I was hitting some of my buddies blades a while back and loved them, was totally going to buy them... I got fit with the newer version of his clubs because I had such a positive feeling towards them... The numbers don't lie to you. I was easily 10-15 yards behind the set I ended up with, and the spin for me was way too high with the blades. My ball striking is not great so I need the forgiveness that cavity backed clubs give you.

Granted, when I hit a 6iron in those blades flush, it felt like angels were singing behind me... My recommendation besides getting fit, is to take a look at the new Taylormade P770's. At address they are much better looking than the cavity back counter parts, and honestly, you could also look at the 790s as well.

And I love my Mizuno's so check them out as well. BTW, you said you feel the strike location with the blueprints... I have Mizuno 919 Hot metals, and trust me... I know when I don't hit it out of the middle. They provide tons of feedback. New technology has made it so that the cavity backs and GI metals have tons of feedback and forgiveness.
      Last edited by SkeetShooter; 03-01-2021, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Depending on where you live, why not check out the demo days that each manufacturer does this summer to try and see and try out what is available. You can also compare some of these with what you currently have in your bag. This may help you either decide to stick with what you have or to narrow down your choices to a few that you might go with and then look more closely at those.

as noted above, a good fitting is important. I would also take a look at your current clubs to see if anything has changed. Probably the biggest thing to look at is your favourite club or the one that you hit the most and just check out the shaft as given its age, it could actually have bent (assuming it is not graphite).

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome View Post
          The set you have looks solid, I'd wait a while unless you want to start collecting clubs. Club collection addiction can seek up on you. I had more than 20 sets of irons at one time.

[Edit] What dot color are your irons? Are you average height? A bad "fit" would be a good reason for a change.
          My irons have blue dots, while the two G-series wedges have black dots... I bought them online and tbh I didn't even know about the differences in the dots before :P
          I'm 182 cm not sure if that changes much...

I'm trying not to rush into anything so I made the goal to go for a fitting once I start scoring around 100. I really like PING as a brand and there's a good ping fitting center here in Tokyo so I'll definitely check it out when it's time.

I just think that I would like clubs that I can use to become a better player, not just get better scores, but yes I have to try a lot of clubs yet to understand the differences

Comment

• Jerome
            Jerome commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm guessing blue dots might be a little too upright for you. This early in your learning process it might be best to do a fitting based on your body size/proportions. https://webfit.ping.com/. If you have the time and money, keep taking lesson and groove a consistent swing then see a professional fitter,

My tip -- go somewhere you can buy used golf clubs. Buy a set of good looking and tiny blades for practice and keep the Pings in the bag for playing. You'll feel like you're cheating on the golf course. Just don't cheat.

Comment

The online fitting from Ping says I should get green dots based on my measurements... so not too far from blue... maybe if I can verify that at a fitting they might be able to bend mine? although being cast maybe bending is not the best option...

Comment

• Jerome
              Jerome commented
              Editing a comment
              Pings can be bent. I think that is why they have that notch in the hosel. Shops used to be able to send them back to Ping for a reasonable price per club to have them bent. Maybe Ping still provides that service. As stated in this thread, old clubs can get bent out of spec just from use. Good pro shops should have lie/loft measuring equipment to check. It seems odd to me that Blueprint irons would "feel" much better than your G irons unless the G irons were the wrong lie for you.

• alexpedini
              alexpedini commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! I checked I have a Ping Fitting studio not far from my place and they can check the specs of my club and adjust them. I'll try to book an appointment there
          Working...
          X