This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tour Rules

i just got back from Vegas and my club closed on Sunday. It's sim season and we are getting new players every day so I figured I'd repost this. Tour Rules

Rules Sticky
    Purpose To offer an online league format that facilitates all that we enjoy about playing the Sport of Golf. To make Tournament settings on each round that compare

06-26-2017, 03:49 PM
    Hi everyone. I think it's important to revisit the rules every now and then as we keep getting new players. Our tour is designed for everyone and every system. It's only for fun but like real golf, we have chosen to allow you to police yourselves. Also like real golf cheating will get you banned. If you are going to play, play by the rules. Everything else is managed by the game. Below are mostly settings.

TGC Tour Rules

Boost and other shot mods:
    +/- 5%. Most ProTee/ TGC supported systems have the ability to adjust your settings. This is from having sensor mats and tweaking them. For tour play, you are allowed to adjust any setting by 5%. This means you can add 5% max boost and decrease 5% spin. Believe me, 5% isn't going to change anyone's life. A 20 yard draw would draw 19 yards with 5% adjustment.

Putting:
    The standard putting setting was 2. We set it this way because we believed the GC2 would perform fairly at that setting. We recently changed it to allow you to increase the setting so the ball will only go straight. It's your choice what you use. I use 2. Move the slider all the way over and aim with the pointer only if you choose.

Gimmies:
    You have to set your system to a max of 1.8 yards. This is done by setting the Gimmie Setting to "Gimmie". If you want no gimmies, knock yourself out.

Wind:
    We play without wind. You must as well.

Shot Recording:
    Turn it on. You'll see SR in the standings. An X means it's off. We contact those who have it off but sometimes someone that isn't on the form enters a tournament. If it's off, you won't be included in any rankings.

Rewinds:
    Obviously a big one. Some systems give errors and strange things happen. Here's some examples:

Allowed:
    -A ball was in the FOV of your GC2 and you rolled another couple of balls near by and it read a 2 foot put.
    -Your protee said the ball you hit in the middle of your screen went 25 degrees right.
    -Your GSX said the ball went 20 yards and it was flushed into the screen.
    I think you get it.

Not allowed:
    -Your putt lipped out but you think you hit it straight
    -Your bunker shot didn't clear the lip but you think it should have
    -You sliced it and it's behind a tree
    -You hit a 3 wood over water and it didn't make it but you once hit a 3 wood far enough to carry
    -You hit a 5 iron and it rolled over the green but you hit a 5 iron outside last week and it stopped
    -You hit it in the water and the game put you all the way back where you hit it from. Too bad.

Have fun and play by the rules.

mthunt

My Courses:
    World Par 3's by mthunt
    Toronto GC (L) mthunt
    Burlington G&CC by mthunt
    Weston G&CC by mthunt
    London Hunt Club L mthunt
    Park CC Lidar mthunt
    Sunningdale GC Robinson L
    Sunningdale GC Thompson L
    Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
    Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
    The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
    The National GC L mthunt
    Mississaugua GC L mthunt
    Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
    Markland Woods CC mthunt
    Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
    Magna GC L mthunt
    Barrie CC L mthunt
    mthunt Range

If your handicap is -36 please PM me.
    My Courses:
    World Par 3's by mthunt
    Toronto GC (L) mthunt
    Weston G&CC by mthunt
    Park CC Lidar mthunt
    The National GC L mthunt
    Mississaugua GC L mthunt
    Markland Woods CC mthunt
    Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
    Magna GC L mthunt
    Barrie CC L mthunt
    mthunt Range

Comment

All,
      Frodaddy here. I see there is a lot of angst about my recent tournament score. I've been dealing with a lot of SkyTrak issues and my last two rounds (this tournament) have been incredibly frustrating for me.. taking 2-3 hours to finish due to my SkyTrak and/or TGC giving me fits.

First off my apologies to everyone as my intention was not to post a low score. I have been more fixated on why my system is so flaky and was rewinding more than I should have. I will work to resolve the problems I am having (posted in SkyTrak forum since early Dec) before playing more tournaments in the future. I asked that my rounds be DQ'd if that hasn't been done already.

My apologies again to all.

thanks,
      fro

Comment

• BadEddieKit
        BadEddieKit commented
        Editing a comment
        Just an FYI, i have recently discovered that the latest windows update, which was December 13th for me, caused internet connectivity issues. I was unable to play live rounds with others, and even playing alone, it would take 30 seconds for a shot to register in TGC. If its a new problem for ya, might wanna uninstall the latest updates and see if that fixes it for you.

I played my first tournament this week (won't count, user error on setting up shot recording), but I have a question. I used 1 rewind on an actual good shot because I was hitting a 2 iron but TGC was set to 3 wood (which I have set to 3% boost). As a result, my 2 iron went about 15 yards farther than usual and ended up on the fringe. On the rewind I set the club correctly and promptly pushed my shot 30 yards right and short of the green.

Is this a valid use of rewind, or should I have just played the first tee shot that would have actually benefited me?

Comment

• DirtyGarry24
        DirtyGarry24 commented
        Editing a comment
        What do ya think guys? Should we string this poor newbie SOB up by his shoe strings and leave him in the hot sun for a few days? Should we remove his golf balls, cut off his shafts, and take his head covers from him?

Nah Hell, lets let him have some fun! Hehehe, take a rewind friend and golf your balls off! We’ll only judge you when you win something... đŸ¤£

• mthunt
        mthunt commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll put it to you like this. I once read a sprinkler head in a tournament as 96. It was 69. I made 6 and came in second. The rule is the same.

In answer to your question, it’s not a valid reason for rewind. Rewinds are for hardware failure only.

• cooke23
        cooke23 commented
        Editing a comment
        LMFAO Gary..........

Originally posted by abirdie4me View Post
      I played my first tournament this week (won't count, user error on setting up shot recording), but I have a question. I used 1 rewind on an actual good shot because I was hitting a 2 iron but TGC was set to 3 wood (which I have set to 3% boost). As a result, my 2 iron went about 15 yards farther than usual and ended up on the fringe. On the rewind I set the club correctly and promptly pushed my shot 30 yards right and short of the green.

Is this a valid use of rewind, or should I have just played the first tee shot that would have actually benefited me?
      Thanks Gary. You guys are all safe from me ever winning anything as long as putting is involved!

Comment

My $.02... the putting is difficult even with the straight putting patch. There are times when I am playing a lot and can make tons of putts, that definitely is not right now. Usually, when I do make a ton of putts I just happen to be reading and hitting the putts perfect distances. Isn't that like real golf? I agree with mthunt about the rewinds. If you have a HW hiccup or issue with your system, feel free to rewind. I have an issue where the first shot on TGC sometimes is a 100 yard popup. Though I crushed the drive, I do not rewind. If you played with my ghost you may have seen this. I have 1 rewind in the year I have played and it was because I was moving the ball into position on my GC2 and it registered as a 1 in putt.

I enjoy playing with all you guys and the format that is created here. I do not care if we have different systems or if you have a 10 handicap and shoot 68. I like to play and try and post low scores. I have learned a ton about course management, distance control and the TGC course options. I appreciate what they are trying to do here with the awesome tour that is provided. Please do not take this so seriously that ProTee and the committee have to tie things down so tight it will not even be enjoyable anymore. Just go have fun!! That is what this is all about!

Comment

• cooke23
          cooke23 commented
          Editing a comment
          amen to that ^^^^^^^^

• Sascha1818
          Sascha1818 commented
          Editing a comment
          I 2nd this 100% !!!! Well said. I don't care about the leaderboard, it's just about the "tournament feeling" and to be forced to not only play courses I like lol.
          Of course it's nice when you end up in the top 10 once in a while but bad rounds happen too. Being last don't bother me either.

I'm with ecarl97

Comment

Amen ecarl97 I don't even want to play online on our tour with the fear that I will have a misread. I've already been called out for hitting ball too far. Thought it would be fun, but think private games have my interest more. If I get called for cheating I will gladly quit won't be necessary to DQ

Comment

• ecarl97
            ecarl97 commented
            Editing a comment
            With a ball speed of 178 you should not be called out for length

BTW yesterday I hit an 8 iron 270yrds. Hopefully nobody else has a missread. In our game they let me rewind, but not sure the same would be warranted on the tour.

Comment

• bob chung
            bob chung commented
            Editing a comment
            I wish, I could hit 8iron 270yards too.

• Sascha1818
            Sascha1818 commented
            Editing a comment
            Now I know where the name thundergolf comes from lol.

What's interesting is that the shot carried 270yds on TGC but the recorded shot data on GFS shows it carried 220yds. I'm wondering why the information would be different? According to the recorded data it doesn't appear as an obvious miss read.

Comment

I just came across this thread...So I checked and yup...I guess I was "flagged" due to some rewinds. Ok - I get it. I'll admit when I first started playing TGC my settings were way off. I took some rewinds and nobody cared because I was far down the leader board. It took research on this great forum to figure out what to do to make things closer to real life using green speed, putting speed adjustments, etc.

I guess I view this more as a video game that let's me practice my swing during the winter. For me, it's about fun and hitting shots. You know those shots in real life where you saw the shot and knew you could pull it off but in the moment you failed to execute and walked on but it ate at you the the next few holes and you wish you could have another chance to pull it off? Well, sometimes that happens in simulated golf and, I admit, sometimes I hit rewind. It's not at all about the score...not even a bit. It's about pulling off the shot. I couldn't possible care less if I rank or make 'earnings'. It's about the feeling of sharing the same golfing experience with other real people. I love seeing the ghost shots! That's really fun.

On the other hand, it's also impossible to really know why there was a rewind. Can you see in my garage or know the motivations of my heart? The last tournament I finished over new years, in the 1st round I was playing pretty ok. My teenage son wanted to hit some shots. He does that every now and then and since he and I don't get to spend much time together as it is, if he shows any interest in golf, I'm not going to put him off. Building my relationship with him is way more important than a simulated tour. So he wanted to hit some shots while I happened to be playing a tournament round. I let him hit, and then rewind and take my swing (no harm I thought)...he stuck around for a number holes, hit some shots and a putt or two...got bored and that was that. BTW, the second round I scored a 69 with no rewinds. Definitely lower than my normal mid 70s (gotta love making 100% of putts inside 6 feet - wish that was true IRL). Was it cool seeing my name near the top? Sure...but do I really care about my tour ranking? no. I just like to play and have fun. Honestly, I spend more time working on my swing with the foresight range than anything else.

Anyway, some people take TGC Tour more seriously than others and that is totally cool. I think a zero tolerance policy of banning someone for taking a rewind is a bit extreme but I'll vow to not take any more rewinds when I do play a tournament.

Honestly, I'd much more enjoy adding a few of you as TGC friends and playing together live. I'm the in the Central Time Zone. PM me if you would like to get together and play online. I'm not sure how to do that, but I'm sure I can figure it out by searching the forum etc.

Comment

What's this business with all straight putts? I'm gathering from this thread that there is a setting that would facilitate that and it is now permissible on tour? If that's true, please give instructions on how to set this up.

IMO the easiest way to deal with the rewinds is to not allow any. Don't believe I've ever taken one whether I've questioned the result or not. Don't think I'm a good enough feel golfer to say when the gc2 is wrong even where it might seem obvious. I just consider it part of the game much like a bad break on the real course.

Comment

• andygg1986
                andygg1986 commented
                Editing a comment
                With a GC2, you can set the putting forgiveness in GSX. The rule used to be that you could set it to 2. This meant that any putt that read within 2 degrees of being straight (actually I think it rounds so within +/- 1.5 degrees) would go straight in the game. You will notice this in the screen that shows the shot data in TGC. It will say something like the club went 1 degree right but the ball went 0 degrees. The theory behind setting it to 2 was that the GC2 accuracy for horizontal launch is supposed to be 1 degree, so if you hit a straight putt it could read as 1 degree left or right.

Skytrak is less accurate on horizontal reads and people said that they were getting putts that went straight but read several degrees off. Protee released an update to let Skytrak users ignore the horizontal reading and only use speed for putting, which means all of their putts read straight if they want. You still have to play the break but you need to aim left or right with the keyboard. To level the playing field, other systems like GC2 can move the putting forgiveness way up so all putts will also read as straight. Personally I have a GC2 and think 2 is a fair number. Even with putting on a Fiberbuilt mat which lots of people say isn't ideal, I rarely have a putt that I feel like I hit well read as more than 2 degrees offline.

As far as rewinds, GC2 users have it the best in terms of reliable readings, but even we have some situations when one should be given. I have had it read a shot when I pick up a tee because a ball is in the field of view. I have also had it pick up the white on my M2 driver so that a shot that hits the middle of the screen reads as 30 degrees left with crazy spin numbers. I've only used rewinds a few times in over a year, but if I had a system that gave errors like that more frequently I wouldn't want to be penalized because of my hardware. You can't take everyone else's score too seriously in the tournaments. If someone wants to cheat they will. The handicaps of new players quickly dropping as they get the hang of the short game means that new players usually win the net leaderboard anyway. I like to find a few guys who seem to be a little better than me and try to beat their gross scores each week, and I try to get my scores trending down over time.

• mthunt
                mthunt commented
                Editing a comment
                Rewinds are only for hardware failure. It's easy as anything to tell if there's a hardware failure. The tour is owned by ProTee. ProTee manufacturers floor sensors. They sometimes give a failed reading. We can't get rid of them yet

The straight putting thing is for Skytrak. It's a patch in the game that eliminates all data from a Putt except ball speed. Yes, it take all human error out of putting except speed. Anyone can use it. It makes putting incredibly easy.

Andy, the putting forgiveness is a percentage between 0-100 I believe. I don't think it is degrees like once thought.

Originally posted by theizer View Post
              I just came across this thread...So I checked and yup...I guess I was "flagged" due to some rewinds. Ok - I get it. I'll admit when I first started playing TGC my settings were way off. I took some rewinds and nobody cared because I was far down the leader board. It took research on this great forum to figure out what to do to make things closer to real life using green speed, putting speed adjustments, etc.

I guess I view this more as a video game that let's me practice my swing during the winter. For me, it's about fun and hitting shots. You know those shots in real life where you saw the shot and knew you could pull it off but in the moment you failed to execute and walked on but it ate at you the the next few holes and you wish you could have another chance to pull it off? Well, sometimes that happens in simulated golf and, I admit, sometimes I hit rewind. It's not at all about the score...not even a bit. It's about pulling off the shot. I couldn't possible care less if I rank or make 'earnings'. It's about the feeling of sharing the same golfing experience with other real people. I love seeing the ghost shots! That's really fun.

On the other hand, it's also impossible to really know why there was a rewind. Can you see in my garage or know the motivations of my heart? The last tournament I finished over new years, in the 1st round I was playing pretty ok. My teenage son wanted to hit some shots. He does that every now and then and since he and I don't get to spend much time together as it is, if he shows any interest in golf, I'm not going to put him off. Building my relationship with him is way more important than a simulated tour. So he wanted to hit some shots while I happened to be playing a tournament round. I let him hit, and then rewind and take my swing (no harm I thought)...he stuck around for a number holes, hit some shots and a putt or two...got bored and that was that. BTW, the second round I scored a 69 with no rewinds. Definitely lower than my normal mid 70s (gotta love making 100% of putts inside 6 feet - wish that was true IRL). Was it cool seeing my name near the top? Sure...but do I really care about my tour ranking? no. I just like to play and have fun. Honestly, I spend more time working on my swing with the foresight range than anything else.

Anyway, some people take TGC Tour more seriously than others and that is totally cool. I think a zero tolerance policy of banning someone for taking a rewind is a bit extreme but I'll vow to not take any more rewinds when I do play a tournament.

Honestly, I'd much more enjoy adding a few of you as TGC friends and playing together live. I'm the in the Central Time Zone. PM me if you would like to get together and play online. I'm not sure how to do that, but I'm sure I can figure it out by searching the forum etc.
              No one banned you. In fact, I didn't call you out on the forum. I said PM me if your handicap is wrong.

It's a tour for fun but it still has simple rules. If you want to play on the tour please do follow the rules and please have fun. I don't agree that following the rules is taking it too seriously. Just please don't take any rewinds unless you have a hardware failure. Hardware failure is the only reason for a rewind. An example of a hardware failure is the ball hitting the dead centre of your screen and your shot showing 20 degrees left. I don't need to know what is in your head or what is going on in your garage to know that if you hit 1 shot straight and it carried 5 yards farther than the one you took a mulligan on you didn't have a hardware failure.

Please follow the rules and please take as many mulligans as you like in non tour events. When the tour first started we had to play with other players live to monitor each other. We don't want to go there again.
              My Courses:
              World Par 3's by mthunt
              Toronto GC (L) mthunt
              Weston G&CC by mthunt
              Park CC Lidar mthunt
              The National GC L mthunt
              Mississaugua GC L mthunt
              Markland Woods CC mthunt
              Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
              Magna GC L mthunt
              Barrie CC L mthunt
              mthunt Range

Comment

can I take a rewind?

Comment

• Jwheels9876
                  Jwheels9876 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Of course. As long as you're having fun

Originally posted by bob chung View Post
                https://youtu.be/_qXxy4n6Mao

can I take a rewind?
                Awesome shot bob but you know it’s rub of the Green. Lol
                My Courses:
                World Par 3's by mthunt
                Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                Weston G&CC by mthunt
                Park CC Lidar mthunt
                The National GC L mthunt
                Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                Markland Woods CC mthunt
                Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                Magna GC L mthunt
                Barrie CC L mthunt
                mthunt Range

Comment

How does the committee/protee search and detect rewinds? With the shot data available that would be impossible to sift thru by eye. I'm assuming a smart sob from this very forum could write a program to search for them and evaluate from the shot data, whether it is suspicious or not, but that seems like a lot of work too. Maybe it already exists? Just curious how the system works.

Comment

Working...
                  X