Software, Rewinds, Tournament Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software, Rewinds, Tournament Play

I have to say that I am disappointed with the direction to not allow rewinds in future tournaments, since the technology platform that is the most likely to produce misreads is ProTee and I am a ProTee user. That leaves me, and other ProTee owners the option "deal with it" to address misreads.

It's clear that there are participants who abuse the rewind feature in tournaments It has been documented several times. I don't understand why some sort of automated review mechanism (software) has not been instituted to track the use of rewinds. I'm pretty sure that it could be done. That would remove the onus of manual review by tournament organizers to check for the legitimacy of scores.

What is telling is that the overwhelming number of votes for no rewinds comes from those with launch monitors that "never" have misreads. That of course makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that some of those people using these technologies are also those guilty of cheating. It's pretty blatant when participants with "no misread" monitors have multiple rewinds in a round. Guess these are the same guys who "fluff up" their lies on the course.

Is it really not possible to use a bit of software to highlight rewinds in tournament rounds?

aja

I understand your concern.
    You mentioned "What is telling is that the overwhelming number of votes for no rewinds comes from those with launch monitors that "never" have misreads."

I can tell you I usually get 1-2 misreads per tournament. A gap wedge that is hit in the middle of the screen but go 30 degrees to the right. I forget it and move on to the next spot. Figuring the golf gods will give me back a shot or two.
    No rewinds will definitely keep it on the up and up.
    Last edited by triplebogeysrbetter; 01-11-2019, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• CBG778
      CBG778 commented
      Editing a comment
      I play with the Protee setup, and usually have 1 or 2 misreads, but there are times when I have no misreads . I voted for no rewinds, because I feel like
      it will eliminate a lot of worry for me , because sometimes i am not 100% sure it was a misread. I will just have to be careful walking around putting sensor
      so i don't set it off . I am looking forward to playing with no rewinds

Curious. Are you the same AJA that completed his last tournament event in July... 2017!?!?! I can't be sure so that's why I ask. But if so, what in the hell is the problem then? No rewinds will make a better tour.

Comment

I will miss it when I have an egregious misread but I think the good equals the bad. Maybe I will have to convince my wife to let me get a CG2

Comment

• mthunt
        mthunt commented
        Editing a comment
        Spend the money once, regret it once. Don't spend the money and regret every time you use it. That and you only live once.

i used to have a protee system before moving on to a gc2. i would guess that i averaged around 5 rewinds per round. the misreads were almost always caused by high lofted shots. it kind of sucks not being able to play certain shots but you may find it less frustrating to try to play the ball lower around the greens and see if the protee system reads it correctly more consistently.

Comment

Votes been passed.

Nothing to say it can't be reviewed after 3months or what ever.

Get behind it. It was a landslide.

Perhaps you could offer an extra pair of hands to admin rewinds? What about build the software?

TGC and this tour is bashed by certain parties. I'm over the moon that rewinds and multiply tees has been addressed. As it's less ammo and will overall improve everything. 2019 should really crown TGC and this tour as the #1 and I look forward to that.

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by aja View Post
          I have to say that I am disappointed with the direction to not allow rewinds in future tournaments, since the technology platform that is the most likely to produce misreads is ProTee and I am a ProTee user. That leaves me, and other ProTee owners the option "deal with it" to address misreads.

It's clear that there are participants who abuse the rewind feature in tournaments It has been documented several times. I don't understand why some sort of automated review mechanism (software) has not been instituted to track the use of rewinds. I'm pretty sure that it could be done. That would remove the onus of manual review by tournament organizers to check for the legitimacy of scores.

What is telling is that the overwhelming number of votes for no rewinds comes from those with launch monitors that "never" have misreads. That of course makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that some of those people using these technologies are also those guilty of cheating. It's pretty blatant when participants with "no misread" monitors have multiple rewinds in a round. Guess these are the same guys who "fluff up" their lies on the course.

Is it really not possible to use a bit of software to highlight rewinds in tournament rounds?

First, it's a poll. Not the final anything. It's obviously the preference.

Here's the thing. If you have rewinds, the people who are rewinding always give me an answer to why they rewound. They say I hit it farther than 150 but it went in the water. Or, I'm getting strange readings. Or, that's not the shot I hit. So what do I say? Ok, I'll accept it or don't accept it. It's a huge grey area. How do I say you cheated if you really thing it's a misread? Having the software tell me where there is a rewind doesn't solve anything except pointing out the rewinds. I already have it. I agreed in the beginning to rewinds but how is it fair to the guy in second when the winner had 2 rewinds?

I lost to Bob Chung by 1 stroke once and on the last hole my, what I thought was hit perfect, went right and took a strange bounce into a tiny little creek that I didn't know was there. It put me back on the tee and I made 6. How would Bob have felt if I hit rewind and won? That's the problem with rewinds.

Another possibility is dual tournaments every week. 1 with rewinds, 1 without. The poll was to determine if that would be of interest.

So what is the better answer? 1 or 2 mulligans per round? That's not fair either. Yours would be used for a failure and mine would be used for a bad shot. Or, trust everyone? That's where we are at now.
          My Courses:
          World Par 3's by mthunt
          Toronto GC (L) mthunt
          Burlington G&CC by mthunt
          Weston G&CC by mthunt
          London Hunt Club L mthunt
          Park CC Lidar mthunt
          Sunningdale GC Robinson L
          Sunningdale GC Thompson L
          Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
          Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
          The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
          The National GC L mthunt
          Mississaugua GC L mthunt
          Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
          Markland Woods CC mthunt
          Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
          Magna GC L mthunt
          Barrie CC L mthunt
          mthunt Range

Comment

• DirtyGarry24
            DirtyGarry24 commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you sure it's just a poll? Protee made the last post in the poll thread where it sure sounded as if rewinds were gone in 2019. Maybe you didn't see it?

• mthunt
            mthunt commented
            Editing a comment
            It was just a poll. Now it's law. lol. I'm a little behind today.

mthunt wrote "
          Spend the money once, regret it once. Don't spend the money and regret every time you use it. That and you only live once." Thanks for the advice AND the future inscription on my tombstone

Comment

I think that everyone knows where this is heading.....no rewinds. Some players with camera based systems have a few rewinds per round and some have none. With GSA and I am assuming that ProTee is the same. You can look at the screenshot and see the ball trace. This can help you identify the cause of the misread. Maybe somebody dropped a white shoe in the FOV. Maybe, you need more light or a small adjustment on the camera settings. I believe that misreads can almost be eliminated with these two sims. Ask a few of the senior guys with these sims. I have helped more than a few players with GSA. And when we came across issues that we couldn't solve, we went and asked the manufacturer for help. I used to be nervous as hell playing a tour round. Now there are systems in place with GSA to virtually eliminate the misreads. I realize that all enclosures are different and each one has its challenges. We shouldn't have to rely on a mulligan because of something that may be avoidable. If my sim messed up shots over 35 degrees LA.... guess what, I would not take those shots. I already don't ….. mostly because I am 12 feet away and I would hit the ceiling. Some of the launch monitors have trouble with slow and low LA chips...… well chip with a little more LA..... New guys need to ask this forum for help.

Comment

• Jwheels9876
              Jwheels9876 commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol I noticed the 100 balls there also. When I have even one laying around it inevitably gets kicked right though the hitting zone.

• mthunt
              mthunt commented
              Editing a comment
              Canadian Tire has Project A’s for cheap. They are by far the best sim ball I’ve used. They spin well, feel great and last. I, however Keith, open 1 sleeve and use them until dead before opening another.

• keither5150
              keither5150 commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL, we seem to differ there. I open the ends of all 4 sleeves and then turn them upside down and shake. And I buy 3 or 4 dozen when on sale. I recently started my own business, so I will be holding off on buying balls. I am going to buy about 15-20 dozen at golfballs.com with company logo. Cheaper than on sale and a write off. So, what I have will have to last. I do find it hard to see a difference between the TP5 and the Project A. Both feel good and go far.

I'd love no rewinds. And yes I have a GC2, but putting on a CCE mat with the GC2 is like misread city. Id rather not have any chance for anyone to cheat and take it on the chin when I do have a true misread putt due to the tech I'm using.

This is just a silly online golf sim tour in the end. Cmon.

Comment

Originally posted by rjd1975 View Post
              mthunt wrote "
              Spend the money once, regret it once. Don't spend the money and regret every time you use it. That and you only live once." Thanks for the advice AND the future inscription on my tombstone
              Mine too brother. I'll never forget the Cobra Knock off irons I had custom made for me by a local club maker. He sold me on how they were as good as cobras. Every bad shot was followed by "cheap ass, buy the right clubs". That was my last mistake. lol

My tomestone also will say "he who dies with the most toys wins"
              My Courses:
              World Par 3's by mthunt
              Toronto GC (L) mthunt
              Weston G&CC by mthunt
              Park CC Lidar mthunt
              The National GC L mthunt
              Mississaugua GC L mthunt
              Markland Woods CC mthunt
              Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
              Magna GC L mthunt
              Barrie CC L mthunt
              mthunt Range

Comment

Originally posted by goatbarn View Post
                I'd love no rewinds. And yes I have a GC2, but putting on a CCE mat with the GC2 is like misread city. Id rather not have any chance for anyone to cheat and take it on the chin when I do have a true misread putt due to the tech I'm using.

This is just a silly online golf sim tour in the end. Cmon.
                Goatbarn, turn on 0HA putting. Solves the wobbly CCE putting woes. I usually find a straight line in FOV and putt from there.
                My Courses:
                World Par 3's by mthunt
                Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                Weston G&CC by mthunt
                Park CC Lidar mthunt
                The National GC L mthunt
                Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                Markland Woods CC mthunt
                Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                Magna GC L mthunt
                Barrie CC L mthunt
                mthunt Range

Comment

Not having rewinds will just eliminate a lot of the unnecessary drama that has been happening during the tour rounds. The tour should be a fun communal event and lately there's been an increase animosity and people questioning other people's honesty.

Getting rid of the rewind will eliminate a lot of the hostility that has been slowly building up here.
                  My courses:
                  Aldeen
                  Butler National
                  Cantigny
                  Canyata
                  Cog Hill #4
                  Harbor Shores
                  Harborside
                  Naperville Country Club
                  Prairie Landing
                  Rich Harvest Farms
                  Ruffled Feathers
                  Shoreacres

Comment

Originally posted by mthunt

Here's the thing. If you have rewinds, the people who are rewinding always give me an answer to why they rewound. They say I hit it farther than 150 but it went in the water. Or, I'm getting strange readings. Or, that's not the shot I hit. So what do I say? Ok, I'll accept it or don't accept it. It's a huge grey area. How do I say you cheated if you really thing it's a misread? Having the software tell me where there is a rewind doesn't solve anything except pointing out the rewinds. I already have it. I agreed in the beginning to rewinds but how is it fair to the guy in second when the winner had 2 rewinds?

I lost to Bob Chung by 1 stroke once and on the last hole my, what I thought was hit perfect, went right and took a strange bounce into a tiny little creek that I didn't know was there. It put me back on the tee and I made 6. How would Bob have felt if I hit rewind and won? That's the problem with rewinds.

Another possibility is dual tournaments every week. 1 with rewinds, 1 without. The poll was to determine if that would be of interest.

So what is the better answer? 1 or 2 mulligans per round? That's not fair either. Yours would be used for a failure and mine would be used for a bad shot. Or, trust everyone? That's where we are at now.
                    How would you feel if you lost on that last hole not taking the rewind and then found out the guy that beat you by 2 took 2 rewinds. No rewinds. Yippee-ki-yayyy! Less baby sitting and more golfing for you too.

Comment

• mthunt
                      mthunt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Same page. Tomato.

Originally posted by mthunt View Post

Lol...
                    next time mthunt beats me, I will review every shotdata...

Comment

Working...
                    X