Number of Players Competing Weekly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of Players Competing Weekly

Noticed the number of folks completing last week was around 120. Fantastic to see. I know there are peaks and troughs but I'd love to see the tour grow to the point of 100+ weekly and beyond.

I know it takes work to administer but I wonder if 2019 will bring some additional weekly events perhaps in a different format. 9 hole events or nearest the pins or something.

I know this point is thrown in the face of TGC when comparing with other softwares. We've knocked off multi tees and now rewinds. Sounds like boost might be next.

Feels like we are really making strides at the moment

Honestly, I believe we (the members) should start something.

Re: "I know it takes work to administer but I wonder if 2019 will bring some additional weekly events perhaps in a different format. 9 hole events or nearest the pins or something."
    I'm sure ProTee United would embrace it (if successfully and well run) in time. Perhaps folks interested can work together to develop a weekly event.

I feel it would be better for us to "just do it" then wait for the 800 lb gorilla to take off.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Last year, about 15 of us set up weekly tournament and had leaderboard and everything...
      Just find some nice courses, set up tournament and invite some people to play...
      the tournament leaderboard doen't work right, so someone should keep the score s and post..

Comment

I think that's a great idea. Of course we would have the main tour be the focus but there could also be exhibitions/challenges to make it interesting when you're done with the main tour rounds.

Comment

Just started on the tour in the past month. Has been great fun. Other events like a chipping or putting course/competition or a pitch and putt type event could be interesting. Anything to help pass the time in the winter and play more golf!

Comment

Skins games? Nine holes nearest the pin challenges. Lots of options I guess. Will see what formats 19 brings us.

Comment

Originally posted by dg_1983 View Post
              Noticed the number of folks completing last week was around 120. Fantastic to see. I know there are peaks and troughs but I'd love to see the tour grow to the point of 100+ weekly and beyond.

I know it takes work to administer but I wonder if 2019 will bring some additional weekly events perhaps in a different format. 9 hole events or nearest the pins or something.

I know this point is thrown in the face of TGC when comparing with other softwares. We've knocked off multi tees and now rewinds. Sounds like boost might be next.

Feels like we are really making strides at the moment
              A lot is said about boost but the point of the rule isn’t adding 11 yards to your drive. It’s about tweaking sensor systems. For example, reducing side spin by 4% or increasing back spin by 3% or adding or decreasing ball speed by <5%. If you eliminate the adjustment of ball speed you likely need to reduce all setting adjustments by having all setting set to 0
              My Courses:
              World Par 3's by mthunt
              Toronto GC (L) mthunt
              Burlington G&CC by mthunt
              Weston G&CC by mthunt
              London Hunt Club L mthunt
              Park CC Lidar mthunt
              Sunningdale GC Robinson L
              Sunningdale GC Thompson L
              Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
              Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
              The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
              The National GC L mthunt
              Mississaugua GC L mthunt
              Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
              Markland Woods CC mthunt
              Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
              Magna GC L mthunt
              Barrie CC L mthunt
              mthunt Range

Comment

• R3dlineR6
                R3dlineR6 commented
                Editing a comment
                I hear what you're saying mthunt...however I can guarantee you that like rewinds...some will take advantage. I won't name anyone but a couple tournaments back I hit a very good drive at 168 mph ball speed with good numbers on backspin, axis tilt and launch angle...but someone's ghost with 149 mph ballspeed outdrove me? Impossible without boosting...at least rewinds can be checked...how can you tell if someone is boosting?

• mthunt
                mthunt commented
                Editing a comment
                You take their carry and the minus it off of the length of tee shot and see what they have for the second shot. So if someone has 250 carry on a 500 yard hole and 180 in then they are likely boosting. Of course you need to see a few holes.

Originally posted by R3dlineR6
              I hit a very good drive at 168 mph ball speed...but someone's ghost with 149 mph ballspeed outdrove me? Impossible without boosting...
              Are you sure?

What does boost change exactly?

I had assumed it was the ball speed input into the tgc game since the game itself has no boost settings.

Comment

• R3dlineR6
                R3dlineR6 commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm 100% sure. When I first joined the tour, I put my boost settings to 5% on woods because I ''Thought" my shots were a bit shorter than in real life and read in the rules that I was allowed to bump it up by that amount. I then got to play outside in the spring and realized that the distances were very accurate without any boosts. Since then, haven't played with any boosts.

Now with that being said, my shot recording data when I first joined the tour shows ball speeds similar to today's numbers without any boosts...if anything it may be even faster now without boost since I'm completely comfortable swinging inside.

Your ball speed in the recorded data will be exactly the same if you enable 50% boost.

So like mthunt said, the only way you can figure out if someone is boosting is by looking at their carry number in the recording and doing math based on the lenght of the hole and distance remaining after the tee shot.

I'm not meaning to open a can of worms but I would like to understand it better. The recorded shot data - is that actual ball data or boosted? I've not any use cases but I have to say sometimes I have a little look through other folks ball data (not to witch hunt just so see their numbers) and sometimes they don't stack up with the ghost balls. From MHunt example I assume if someone cuts a corner on a dog leg things become tricky? I'm not sure I follow the example. Carrying 250 on a 500 with 180 left sort of makes sense but not sure how the "minus the tee shot length" part?

R3dlineR6 I thought boost was limited? I'm not sure how it is tracked but limited boost wouldn't get 149 anything near a well struck 168.......or is that your point that there is some 20% boost out there

Comment

• R3dlineR6
                R3dlineR6 commented
                Editing a comment
                That's exactly my point. Because boosts will not change your ball speed in the recorded data. The only way to verify is like Mthunt stated...doing some math. You bring up a good point too about cutting a dogleg, it will be hard to accuse someone of boosting because it would indeed shorten the hole.

Anyway, my point wasn't to stir up the pot...I enjoy the tour a lot and will be happy with whatever is decided. In the end, I got this set up to improve my game and boosting won't help me at all.

• mthunt
                mthunt commented
                Editing a comment
                Boost of 5% would make a 150BS drive go the same as 157BS. It's nominal and likely that someone with 150 ball speed carrying it 300 is not likely. Actually not possible.

I thought they also knew who was boosting from a computer program. Oh boy, so someone could be using more than the 5% allowed by the tournament directors and nobody would even know unless someone went in and picked apart all their numbers and added and subtracted distances to pin after shots. Then you'd need to know if the holes were also uphill and downhill for roll out possibilities lol...

looks like another option people shouldn't be using In tournaments

Comment

• R3dlineR6
                R3dlineR6 commented
                Editing a comment
                Well imo, it would be worth a vote like we did for rewinds. I do not know all the limitations for every simulator out there, it may be unfair for some and there could be a very good reason to keep them in. With TGC 2019, there's already a bunch of stuff that will make things a lot better and can't wait to try it out. Hopefully it becomes the clear winner of simulation software once released

• mthunt
                mthunt commented
                Editing a comment
                Boost is done in the interface, not in TGC2019 so locking it down isn't likely. If boost is not allowed I'd still need to look at recorded shots to see if anyone is boosting. Honesty, I've only caught 2 people boosting and they both lived at high elevations and claimed it was because of where they live to match their altitude. Boost is really as big an issue as it should be. Giving someone 11 yards of carry on a driver isn't changing much.

• R3dlineR6
                R3dlineR6 commented
                Editing a comment
                I see....that's too bad for you in a way, would have been less work for sure. At least you won't need to review rewinds anymore

It's hard to actually tell if someone boosted. Just because a hole is 500yds and u carry it 250, and have 180 left doesn't necessarily mean boost. In the last tournament I hit a 2 iron both rounds I believe on hole 15 or 16. First round it went 287, second round it went 302. Both of these shots had around 152-154 ball speed. BUT they rolled forever!!

Comment

• mthunt
                mthunt commented
                Editing a comment
                Like I said you have to look at multiple holes so yes you can tell.

mthunt I see what you're saying about checking the yardages and you can probably get a decent idea by comparing a non boosting competitor or yourself. I think the problem is the work involved to check this data. That's a lot of work! I'd be all for getting rid of the boost but at the very least we probably need to look into a better way to check peoples data.

Comment

Also seems unethical and against the spirit of the game to hit driver on your second shot of a par 5. I played with a couple ghost players who had second shots with the exact same ball speed and launch conditions as their tee shot!

Comment

• mthunt
                  mthunt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've seen that too.

• BlechBOX
                  BlechBOX commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That again would take some investigation to uncover as I frequently play whole rounds just hitting 3w off the deck which I can still get 160-165 ball speed.

Originally posted by PunchoutPro View Post
                Also seems unethical and against the spirit of the game to hit driver on your second shot of a par 5. I played with a couple ghost players who had second shots with the exact same ball speed and launch conditions as their tee shot!
                Well that's something nobody will ever be able to fix. People could hit every shot off a tee if they really wanted to. I think most of us want to get better in real life golf so that's not an option for most. But I'd be all for the USGA allowing that rule in starting 2020 lol

Comment

Does everyone agree boost doesn't change the ball speed in the recorded data. IOW, can we take that as proven fact for any or all the systems (ie skytrak, protee and gsx all use different interface software).

If so does the same apply to ghost balls or do they actually show the boosted ball speed and distance?

Ghost balls are inside tgc but recorded data is not so I'm thinking ghost balls will show the boosted values because when I look at the SDK for tgc it does not have a boost parameter as input, only ball speed.
                  ​​​​​​
                  I'm just trying to understand what is actually happening rather than make assumptions.

Comment

Working...
                  X