Number of putts on TGC 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of putts on TGC 2019

When a person has a gimme does that count as a putt on TGC? I'm trying to figure out how somebody in this week's ZOZO tourney has 3 putts for a round.

I don't think a gimmie counts as a putt but 3 putts seems unrealistic. Who is it? Don't make me search.

Comment

Some had even 0 putts in previous tourney...

Comment

A gimme counts as a stroke. I also assumed it would count as a putt.

You'd have to hit every approach within 6' of the pin to not putt. Something isn't registering right with zero putts.

Uneekor QED / The Golf Club 2019
        Epson L1300UNL (8000 Lumen Laser 2160P) ELPLU03 Lens (0.69 Throw Ratio)
        Dell P4317Q (2160P) x2
        PC (Watercooled 2080 TI / 11700k / 16GB)
        Par2Pro Stealth Screens

Comment

Originally posted by jcottfrommn View Post
          When a person has a gimme does that count as a putt on TGC? I'm trying to figure out how somebody in this week's ZOZO tourney has 3 putts for a round.
          Number of putts is putts you hit. Gimmies don’t get counted. If someone sets 50 foot gimmies they’ll have no putts. So either the guy hit all but three shots inside 6 feet or he had long gimmies.
          My Courses:
          World Par 3's by mthunt
          Toronto GC (L) mthunt
          Burlington G&CC by mthunt
          Weston G&CC by mthunt
          London Hunt Club L mthunt
          Park CC Lidar mthunt
          Sunningdale GC Robinson L
          Sunningdale GC Thompson L
          Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
          Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
          The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
          The National GC L mthunt
          Mississaugua GC L mthunt
          Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
          Markland Woods CC mthunt
          Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
          Magna GC L mthunt
          Barrie CC L mthunt
          mthunt Range

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
            Wizard of Coz commented
            Editing a comment
            Dq dq dq dq big gimmie gators dq

A gimmie counts as a stroke of course but it does not count as a putt in your stats. The number of putts shown only show the number of times you actually putt it yourself.

Having 3 putts in a round .... let's say you missed 9 greens and then chipped all of them to within gimmie range. That's 0 putts. Then on the remaining 9 holes you hit 6 of them to gimmie range and 3 were outside of gimmie range so those were the 3 putts that registered in the stats. I suppose it's possible for a very good player who is being aggressive and firing at every pin so they're hitting a lot of them close but also just off the green on others. Keep in mind there are guys who shoot way under par. On the exhibition tour there are guys shooting in the 50s. Can't imagine they're having to putt often.

0 putts would be awfully tough to imagine. I don't think the tour allows you to have gimmies set to more than 6 feet, right? Or is it just an honor system?

EDIT: I just checked the most recent exhibition event and the guy who shot 57 had 15 putts, which makes my above scenario of having only 3 putts seems like even more of a stretch.

EDIT #2: I just found who it is the OP is talking about. He had 3 putts in one round and 2 putts in the other. So 5 putts for 36 holes. Obviously total bogus. Especially considering the top 3 on the leaderboard had totals of 24, 26 and 27 putts. He must have gimmies set to like 25 feet at least. Hope it's not intentional.
          Last edited by 3on3putt; 10-24-2020, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
            Wizard of Coz commented
            Editing a comment
            There are lots of 50 rounds out there if the course is short or the greens are easy to putt. I have like 4 rounds in the 50s. Marc Andre and Nick have equal or more. Noonan this past week had like 4 rounds in the 50s and i watched one live on discord video.
            Last edited by Wizard of Coz; 10-25-2020, 02:45 AM.

• Will
            Will commented
            Editing a comment
            That text was exaggerated for a colorful bit of emphasis. Maybe it should be deleted. I really have fun playing and haven't really thought much about the leaderboard, except that I enjoy watching rank later in the round. It's a great feature to see how you relatively stack up.

I remove my hat in real life. 57 is a video game score.

To your point, I shot 4 under my real handicap today online and didn't strike the ball particularly well. A chip went in, and that happens much more often on tgc2019 than real life.
            I sank a 20 foot putt on 18 and I believe placed two 60 foot putts within a couple feet of the pin. I instantly found my ball in the 2' rough, twice, and then hit it onto the green. Didn't catch my club at all. I hit a wood about 180 yards out of the sand, even though I got under it. That's not happening where I play, yet somehow it all worked out well online.

You are right. Sorry to derail the putting conversation with PGA stats as a perspective. My putting is outstanding on the sim vs real life.

Peace be with you.

• mthunt
            mthunt commented
            Editing a comment
            Will, I’m betting you had more than 3 putt listed in your 4 below handicap. LOL.

I wish there was a way for the game to not allow people in the tournaments who do not have their settings correct rather than it just being an honor system, which makes me wonder how many people are shaving strokes by setting gimmies to 8 feet or 10 feet or something that wouldn't stick out as so plainly obvious as this one. Is the boost max also just based on an honor system as well?
          Last edited by 3on3putt; 10-24-2020, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
            Wizard of Coz commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah it's tricky with the gimmie gators but they can be caught by playing their 👻 or looking at their shot recording.
            They should have some putts between 6-12 ft the settings can be found if you go to the players profile look under all shots then all the way to the right tap the blue icon.
            Last edited by Wizard of Coz; 10-25-2020, 03:01 AM.

Will here is one.
          Last edited by Wizard of Coz; 10-25-2020, 02:46 AM.

Comment

• Will
            Will commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice round.

• Wizard of Coz
            Wizard of Coz commented
            Editing a comment
            It was a crazy good back nine. Thanks. That was back when i played all the time. I'm just getting back into it again. Hopefully there are some more 50s ahead.

Originally posted by 3on3putt View Post
          I wish there was a way for the game to not allow people in the tournaments who do not have their settings correct rather than it just being an honor system, which makes me wonder how many people are shaving strokes by setting gimmies to 8 feet or 10 feet or something that wouldn't stick out as so plainly obvious as this one. Is the boost max also just based on an honor system as well?
          I can tell what people have gimmies set to. Just PM me the name and I’ll check. If they are not using the right settings I’ll deal with them.
          My Courses:
          World Par 3's by mthunt
          Toronto GC (L) mthunt
          Weston G&CC by mthunt
          Park CC Lidar mthunt
          The National GC L mthunt
          Mississaugua GC L mthunt
          Markland Woods CC mthunt
          Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
          Magna GC L mthunt
          Barrie CC L mthunt
          mthunt Range

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
            Wizard of Coz commented
            Editing a comment
            the commissioner ready to drop the 🔨

• mthunt
            mthunt commented
            Editing a comment
            Always. Are a lot of people gatoring again?

• Wizard of Coz
            Wizard of Coz commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know I'm just trying to figure this game out again.

Originally posted by mthunt View Post

I can tell what people have gimmies set to. Just PM me the name and I’ll check. If they are not using the right settings I’ll deal with them.
          Right. I guess what I'm saying is that it would be great if there was a way to set it up so people could not even tee off to start a tournament if all the settings weren't correct. Like an algorithm in the game that would block you from even entering the event without the correct settings.

In any case, the person in question isn't hard to find. He's one of the small handful of guys under par (gross) for the Zozo.

And while we're at it, there's also another guy who has 2 putts for 36 holes. He's currently leading the net portion of the event.

And a third guy who has 0 putts for 36 holes. He's in the top 5 for net.

And a quick look at their player profiles shows that they aren't new to the tours either. One of them has played in dozens of events. Which means they've likely been doing this all along.

That's 3 guys right there, just on a quick search of the leaderboard. Several other questionable ones too. Which is why I say it would be great if there was a way to block these people from ever entering the events in the first place.

Is the boost max also just based on an honor system? Me thinks that if guys are cheating on the gimmies than they are also probably cheating on the boost.
          Last edited by 3on3putt; 10-25-2020, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3on3putt View Post

Right. I guess what I'm saying is that it would be great if there was a way to set it up so people could not even tee off to start a tournament if all the settings weren't correct. Like an algorithm in the game that would block you from even entering the event without the correct settings.

In any case, the person in question isn't hard to find. He's one of the small handful of guys under par (gross) for the Zozo.

And while we're at it, there's also another guy who has 2 putts for 36 holes. He's currently leading the net portion of the event.

And a third guy who has 0 putts for 36 holes. He's in the top 5 for net.

And a quick look at their player profiles shows that they aren't new to the tours either. One of them has played in dozens of events. Which means they've likely been doing this all along.

That's 3 guys right there, just on a quick search of the leaderboard. Several other questionable ones too. Which is why I say it would be great if there was a way to block these people from ever entering the events in the first place.

Is the boost max also just based on an honor system? Me thinks that if guys are cheating on the gimmies than they are also probably cheating on the boost.
            It would be great to have the settings all locked down but it’s not possible. In reality you aren’t allowed mulligans or free drops in real golf but there’s no way to stop someone from cheating. Is it perfect? No. Is it fun? I think so. At the end of the day we have simulators in our home. We are doing ok. Settings can adjusted to a max of 5% including boost. It’s on the honor system but we can see boost settings with the new interface foe each individual shot so that stuff is easy to catch.

Feel free to Pm me who you noticed and I’ll deal with them.

thanks
            mike

My Courses:
            World Par 3's by mthunt
            Toronto GC (L) mthunt
            Weston G&CC by mthunt
            Park CC Lidar mthunt
            The National GC L mthunt
            Mississaugua GC L mthunt
            Markland Woods CC mthunt
            Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
            Magna GC L mthunt
            Barrie CC L mthunt
            mthunt Range

Comment

• 3on3putt
              3on3putt commented
              Editing a comment
              Sent you a PM with 13 names, which is 12% of the field lol. 2 of the top 3 net winners.

• mthunt
              mthunt commented
              Editing a comment
              Good deal. I’ll give you the details on each one. Thanks.

Sounds like I'm an offender! I have my gimme settings set to "on green" (something like that) which means if I'm within 6 feet I get 1 putt, and anything further I get 2 putts. I'm not troubling the leaderboard and I like quickly playing a round without putting, so that's why I have it set that way. I figure it's actually unfair on myself - it means I can NEVER make a 7-foot putt and i actually have 30+ putts every round.

In this setting it will show zero putts in the stats though, unless i'm on the fringe and manually change to putter. Then it will show i've hit a putt. So if you look at my stats it will show 2-3 putts per round when i've actually had 30+.

I was planning to change it to the proper settings if I ever started moving up the leaderboard. Seems to be troubling people though so guess I and others better turn that off. This week's tournament i've had +28 playing off a handicap of 7, so the setting is sure not helping me!
            Last edited by Cameron Oreo; 10-28-2020, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• mthunt
              mthunt commented
              Editing a comment
              One of the rules for the tour is setting gimmies to “gimmie”. Thanks for addressing it.

• 3on3putt
              3on3putt commented
              Editing a comment
              It means you are never 3 putting, which is a huge advantage. It doesn't matter where you are on the leaderboard, because you're still finishing higher than people who are playing it correctly. Just play by the same rules as everyone else. Thats all. You can always do whatever you want in casual rounds.
              Last edited by 3on3putt; 10-28-2020, 12:54 PM.

• Cameron Oreo
              Cameron Oreo commented
              Editing a comment
              In round 1 of this week's comp I shot 87 but only had 52 recorded shots including 2 putts from the fringe. I think that means I had 37 putts. I'm hoping I actually do better with putting on! Anyway we'll see and sorry for causing any frustration. Again, just looking for quicker rounds.

My handicap is showing as -36 in tournaments, I assume because of my previous putting settings issue. Now that I’ve fixed it, when will my handicap go back to normal?

Comment

Hi @mthunt,

My handicap has been set to -36 for four tournaments in a row now. I fixed my gimme settings a while back. When will I get back to having a normal handicap?

Regards,
              Cameron

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Oreo View Post

Hi @mthunt,

My handicap has been set to -36 for four tournaments in a row now. I fixed my gimme settings a while back. When will I get back to having a normal handicap?

Regards,
                Cameron
                Your handicap got set to -36 manually and has to be manually put back. I’ll review and reset it. Thanks for fixing the settings. It’s something I need to be notified of.
                My Courses:
                World Par 3's by mthunt
                Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                Weston G&CC by mthunt
                Park CC Lidar mthunt