Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour 2021-2022

Join the most exciting Golf Simulator Tour!

Tournaments are open to golfers of all ages and skill levels. Get in on the excitement of Golf Simulator Tours, Challenges and Tournaments: https://golfsimulatortours.com
See more
See less

How many are competitively playing with a Skytrak and placing in the big tournaments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many are competitively playing with a Skytrak and placing in the big tournaments?

I feel like obviously the same guys are generally winning the big online society tournaments over and over. Obviously they must have great swings, but where I feel like I'm getting massively screwed is on the greens. I can get an approach to around 12-8 feet on some occasions, and I have literally no confidence that my putt is going to get in the hole (even with a relatively straight put). Crap I remember a putt yesterday that said it was 8" uphill breaking right to left (not drastically) and was 10 feet away. I putt it like a 12 ft putt IRL and the ball shot past the hole by about 16 feet, AGAIN UPHILL!

Are most the top guys mthunt and Wizard of Coz, and Jordan Wood, and Nicholas Archambault all using a GC2 with HMT or other better equipment? Or perhaps maybe its easier to ask if there are some really successful golfers using a Skytrak?

Take my rant with a grain of salt though. I know there is a no-putting tour, but everytime I try to play a round, it has no future event, and the same with the Skytrak Only society...

I'm not saying I'm a great golfer, god... far from it, but nothing craters a round when you are under par and hitting greens in reg all the time and then either playing super defensive putts to get it inside of 6 feet, or trying to go for it and ending up 3 or 4 putting.

I use a GC2 with HMT and have been happy with the results. Wizard switched from Skytrak to GC2. I’d say the GC2 is a lot more accurate.
    My Courses:
    World Par 3's by mthunt RCR
    Toronto GC (L) mthunt RCR
    Burlington G&CC by mthunt RCR
    Weston G&CC by mthunt RCR
    London Hunt Club L mthunt RCR
    Park CC Lidar mthunt RCR
    Sunningdale GC Robinson L RCR
    Sunningdale GC Thompson L RCR
    Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
    Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR) RCR
    The Sanctuary GC ProTee L RCR
    National GC of Canada RCR
    Mississaugua G&CC mthunt RCR
    Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
    mthunt Range Fictional
    Markland Woods CC mthunt RCR Lidar

Comment

I dropped a 63 in the ProTee event yesterday, would've been a 62 had I not missed the par putt on 18. So low rounds are possible with the SkyTrak. The SkyTrak does a good job measuring putt speed so that isn't the issue. Green reading in TGC takes A LOT of time to figure out. I've been at it since 2017/2018 and only now feel like I'm starting to figure it out. Some of the pin positions on some of these courses are total BS as well.

The GC2 advantage is with overall tighter accuracy for each parameter. I don't think GC2 has an advantage over SkyTrak with putting, but it definitely has an advantage with every other shot.
      My published courses:
      Musket Ridge Golf Club
      TPC Potomac
      Worthington Manor
      Baltimore CC (East)
      Caves Valley GC (Members)
      TPC Sawgrass - Stadium
      Lodestone Golf Club

Coming Soon:
      Myrtle Beach National - King's North

Comment

I putted fine with skytrak but my scores came down a bit when switched to gc2. I made fewer bogies because my short game was better with a gc2. That was when I was playing on a daily basis now that I'm not, the gc2 can't save me.

Oh the other thing was my skytrak was reading driver ball speed 6 or 7 mph slower back then but I think they fixed that now.

Comment

I agree, it seems to me at least that it’s inconsistent at best. I also agree about some of the pin locations, total BS.

Comment

• SkeetShooter
            SkeetShooter commented
            Editing a comment
            I played the Q School event last night and I think on the first green, I 5 putted... Up the hill, down the hill, up and down... Good grief!

Make sure straight putting is on. If it is, no difference really between skytrak and Gc2 there, however there is a difference in short game. You can still score well on a skytrak.

Comment

Set you defaults in the “Settings” file to soft and slower. I’m believe your defaults override the speed and firmness set by the course design. Straight putting on for sure is a must as well.

Comment

Thanks all for the feedback. I have changed my settings and slowed everything down on my end, but I'm still struggling. I also seem to get some odd readings in my short game (inside of 20 yards) somehow I generate more spin on a 50* than I do on my 58* around the greens. It really is frustrating for me. I can't imagine its my club, however I will have to test against my old TM RAC tour 60*. I feel like I've only started seeing issues with spin since I changed over to my Blue anodized Mizuno T20 wedge.

I have no complaints about Skytrak with my Irons, and Woods. Although last night I'm 100% sure I hit a killer 7i where I pushed it hard right (visibly saw impact mark) and the ST showed it starting left and staying left. Those little issues do frustrate the heck out of me and make me want to drop $10K on a Uneekor, but it happens maybe once every 100 shots.

Oh and BTW, I bow down to you Sim Golf Gods who shoot consistently in the -8 to -12 round scores!!

Comment

• EG$
                EG$ commented
                Editing a comment
                You need both (Make sure you have the latest SDK that includes the latest version of the config file):
                a. Short Chip Correction = On
                b. Short Chip Backspin Correction = 35 is max. I have mine set to 25 and the ball reacts closer to what I see IRL. Basic example is a short chip with 1000 RPMs of backspin would increase the total backspin to 1250 RPMs.

• SkeetShooter
                SkeetShooter commented
                Editing a comment
                Just curious. What is the most current version of the SDK? and I assume I can just update via the app right? Thats how it auto-downloaded last time.

• EG$
                EG$ commented
                Editing a comment
                The most current version of the SDK is 4.2.7. I think you have to rerun the original installer and that will update all of the associated files. Once updated, I had to actually go into the TGC Simulator Console 'TGCSIM.exe' and get the updated config file from there. I'd make a copy of the original file as well so you can use that as a reference for the new file. You then overwrite the existing file in the directory that the TGC Settings shortcut points to.

Once its everything is updated, and the TGC Settings shortcut is pointing to the updated config file. Close out of everything (SkyTrak TGC Interface, etc.) and start over.
                Last edited by EG$; 09-14-2021, 08:09 PM.

I had a Skytrak for a couple of years. From what I remember, there is a problem with skytrak reading shots within 20 yards. So there is a setting Short Chip Correction setting in the config.txt. With it off, you get more no reads. With it on, the spin numbers are low. I remember always have to play for a run out on the chip or flop.

Comment

That was it exactly. I always left it on since it was too frustrating to have no-reads vs dealing with the rollout. It now sounds like they have an adjustment to add spin back in based on the post above. That's another step in the right direction. That is where the big difference came in on skytrak vs gc2.
                Originally posted by Fantastish View Post
                I had a Skytrak for a couple of years. From what I remember, there is a problem with skytrak reading shots within 20 yards. So there is a setting Short Chip Correction setting in the config.txt. With it off, you get more no reads. With it on, the spin numbers are low. I remember always have to play for a run out on the chip or flop.

Comment

Skytrak had that straight chip too big advantage. I remember playing a short course where the greens were flat no breaks. Bradford chipped every shot in!

Comment

OK Update time. A few things. Yes, newest SDK, I can confirm 4.2.8 is allowing me to add the spin correction to the settings file, and yes, its an appreciable difference.... And.... I realized something in my technique that confirms that I am a total idiot... I must have had literally no weight forward on my lead foot when chipping, and in doing so the club was gliding under and lifting the ball. Shifted what felt like a great deal of weight onto my lead leg, and presto change-o, I was hitting nippy little 3500rpm-4500rpm 20 yard shots and my 40-45 yard shots are all between 6500rpm-7300rpm now.

This game... ugh...

Comment

Working...
                    X