Smooth roll over putting sensor with carpet on top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smooth roll over putting sensor with carpet on top

I am about to put a carpet over my putting sensor. I need to decide on the carpet and to cut the "holes" so that the sensor can "see" the ball. I am not able to find much instruction.

I have a hard time imagining how the ball can roll smoothly over the holes in the carpet. I would imagine (unless it is a 100 km/h put like at the end of this: https://youtu.be/LQGbckYi_5o) the ball changing direction crossing the holes - or maybe even stop in the hole.

How to make the ball roll smoothly over the holes? Do you need to cut them in a certain way? Need a special carpet? "Stuff" the holes with something, like very clear plexiglass or something?

Understand your apprehension. I used high end carpet tile. It does not really have any nap but is more like matted fibres. It is used in high traffic commercial applications.

I cut the slits for the sensor as accurately and narrow as possible.

The slits in the carpet have never changed the direction of the ball and it's not likely that the ball will ever stop in the slits unless you plan on hitting 20 cm putts.

Try making a trial setup with the material that you are planning to use. That should give you a better idea.

To be fair, I have noticed times when the ball bounces a little when travelling over the slits but this has more to do with the natural rolling motion of the ball ( find a slow motion close up of a rolling golf ball and you will see that it never really rolls smoothly).

Hope this helps.
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Thanks aja . Not sure exactly what it is that you used ("high end carpet tile"). Can you provide a link or something?

Comment

• aja
        aja commented
        Editing a comment
        The carpet tile is Interface Superflor. You should be able to find more about it on the internet.

make sure you do the best job on the first strip - it's the one that will matter the most (if the second one makes it bounce or redirect, it won't matter since the putting read is registered the instant the show hits the sensor). The natural tension here is that you want the strips narrow to address your concern, but the more narrow it is the more likely it is you could have with shadows or threads triggering the sensors.

Comment

I had a chance to take some pictures of the flooring and the cut outs for the putting sensor.

The pictures show lots of carpet fibres over the actual cutouts, but in reality they are hardly noticeable and definitely do not interfere with the sensor's operation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180204_135921.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	144074

Name:	IMG_20180204_135909.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	144075

Name:	IMG_20180204_135939.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	144076

Comment

I had a lot of detection problems with mine when I had them cut that closely and had to widen it afterwards (which didn't go so well). Probably an installer issue!

Comment

I had a lot of trouble as well. I removed the top plastic plate from the putting system and used double to apply it directly to the carpet. My putting system has a layer of plexiglass between the plastic top and putting system. So I left the plastic top unscrewed to the putting system but it stays lined up because of the surounding cutout its in. This fixed the problem.

Comment

double meant double sided tape. This technique also makes it easier to make the cutout. I’m using nylon putting turf so it’s hard to keep the strands out. I tried using silicone and a hot glue gun on the edges.

Comment

Did you guys cut that piece separate for the putting sensor pad, or roll carpet over the entire area then only cut the slits into the carpet? To have less seams ?

Comment

I have a complete wall to wall green carpet covering the putting sensor - well except that I have cut lakes here and there :-) While the carpet was still freely floating (and too long for the walls at all ends), I created the situation where I could roll the carpet over and off the putting sensor. That way I could get a very close idea about exactly where the slits should be. I also did a lot of measuring to double check. I trained cutting on a separate small sample of carpet. Finally I did the real thing, and it turned out good. After the initial cutting, I rolled the carpet over the putting sensor to check. Only very minor corrections needed from there. In order to fix the sides of the slits, so that "carpet hair" will not cover the sensors all the time, I use glue along the sides of the slits. I did some testing with different kinds of glue, and the best solution (by far) was my children's hot glue that you mount in a heat-gun to make it heat and pull a handle to make it flow out the gun.

Name:	2019-11-16 12.49.39.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	226786Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-11-16 12.49.47.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	226787
                  Last edited by Per Steffensen; 11-16-2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

The slots do not have to be too narrow for the ball to run over smoothly. If they are too narrow especially with arftificial turf then you will get lots of strands etc blocking sensors.
                    The roll also depends on the surface you use. If you have a ceiling camera, avoid PP and Nylon Turfs as they reflcect a lot of light back at the camera. We use PE turf which is low relfection.
                    The slots below are slightly wider than the sensor rows so never an issue with debris and ball rolls absolutely fine with no deviation
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X