Skytrak with high speed camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skytrak with high speed camera

I know there are a few threads about this, and I have read through them already, but was hoping for some fresh ideas. What software setups do you use? I am currently playing with kinovea and ps3eyes. Trying get the audio trigger to work well, and it is working ok, but kinovea crashes a lot. I think it might be because it is over triggering.

Does anyone have a setup they love?

I use:

Swing Catalyst
    IDS UI-3140CP camera (USB3 version)

Works really well. Software uses a mic to trigger saving the last 6 seconds of recorded video.

Downside is the software cannot be purchased, have to pay $50 a month. I got the camera for around $500-$600 from 1stVision.com.

Comment

I use Motionview Swing Analysis software with two USB cameras running at 120FPS that I bought through Allsportsystems. It is similar to a GoffTEC setup. Everything works well, especially with the audio trigger. Two things to consider: First, make sure your setup allows enough room between you and the camera in order to fit the entire swing in the frame. One of my cameras needs about 10 feet, and the other more expensive one only needs 6 feet. You also need very bright lights in the room or the images will be dark. How much depends on the camera, and make sure to adjust the settings to brighten the image as much as possible. To make the room brighter, I have six high intensity LED construction-type work lights attached to a separate light switch that I use only when recording swings. The LED lights are not cheap but were the only way I could keep the room from getting too hot and not blow out the electrical circuit.

Comment

• dborden0
        dborden0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, unfortunately my room doesn't quite give me enough room to see my full body. I am hopeful a wide angle lens might help if I can find one.

Originally posted by dborden0
      I know there are a few threads about this, and I have read through them already, but was hoping for some fresh ideas. What software setups do you use? I am currently playing with kinovea and ps3eyes. Trying get the audio trigger to work well, and it is working ok, but kinovea crashes a lot. I think it might be because it is over triggering.

Does anyone have a setup they love?
      I use a Zepp sensor. Gives you swing metrics along with an app that records video chopped up according to your swing. I have a Galaxy S7 that can record 720p @240fps - most newer phones are capable. So for your phone + $150 Zepp sensor + $35 tripod, you can have a pretty solid setup.

Comment

I'm setting up something similar to others on this thread. I have two UI-3140CP (USB 3) cameras with Swing Catalyst on a 40" monitor to show swing replay of both cameras combined on every shot. I really like Swing Catalyst except for the 2 camera price ($70/month). I am going to pay the $ until I can get a reliable Kinovea two camera setup completed. I really underestimated the amount of lighting it would require for these cameras to be bright. With all lights turned up, the room is bright by my standards but the video is still very dark. I have ordered some LED lighting panels that run off DC power from an AC/DC converter. This is to minimize flicker. I tried some LED lights that I already had that were bright enough but the flicker was really bad. I'm sure I will figure out the lighting but the cameras are great. I was using logitech webcams and although the lighting needs were a lot less, the video quality was awful with a lot of club blur. Best of luck. I am still trying to figure it out so let me know if you find better software.

Comment

• DWargo
          DWargo commented
          Editing a comment
          weakhead, I have two of these LED panels with AC/DC converter: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I am going to put them on a remote switch so that I can permanently mount them and turn them on with a regular looking paddle switch on the wall. I'll use something like this:

The lights are pretty bright and help the image quality quite a bit. They also have a built in dimmer dial so you can customize for what you need. When 100% they can be overwhelming and kind of like looking at the sun when you make eye contact with one.

• DWargo
          DWargo commented
          Editing a comment
          Inorkuo, I have been following your posts on another thread and am interested in duplicating your 2 camera Kinovea set up. I have a dedicated computer separate from the simulator with an I7 processor and 12 GB of RAM so I do not think it will be a problem. I just have to find the time to copy your work. I am not nearly as savvy with computers as you appear to be. For now, I am going to pay the $70/month until I can get something with the same functionality to work properly.

• sittnndukk66
          sittnndukk66 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Dwargo, what do you use for the AC/DC converter for the lights?

Originally posted by DWargo View Post
        I'm setting up something similar to others on this thread. I have two UI-3140CP (USB 3) cameras with Swing Catalyst on a 40" monitor to show swing replay of both cameras combined on every shot. I really like Swing Catalyst except for the 2 camera price ($70/month). I am going to pay the $ until I can get a reliable Kinovea two camera setup completed. I really underestimated the amount of lighting it would require for these cameras to be bright. With all lights turned up, the room is bright by my standards but the video is still very dark. I have ordered some LED lighting panels that run off DC power from an AC/DC converter. This is to minimize flicker. I tried some LED lights that I already had that were bright enough but the flicker was really bad. I'm sure I will figure out the lighting but the cameras are great. I was using logitech webcams and although the lighting needs were a lot less, the video quality was awful with a lot of club blur. Best of luck. I am still trying to figure it out so let me know if you find better software.
        I have PMed you my Swing Catalyst settings, if you havent seen that message check it out.

I would recommend setting Swing Catalyst to 120fps to start. Turn gain up to 100 and enable the gamma control (found in the FILTERS tab of swing catalyst). Play with gamma until you get a bright image. Gain and gamma will negatively affect image quality, so use as little as needed. For me, 100 Gain and just enabling the gamma control (leaving its setting at the default) and my image is plenty bright.

Also make sure the camera lens is as wide open as you can get it (the lower the f-stop number, the more light gets into the camera). If your lens has f/1.4 or f/2 those are the widest apertures.

Comment

Sorry to bump this old thread, but...

I'm on the hunt for cameras to refine my set up. I have two of the $50 Ebay OV2710 cameras that I've somewhat got working with Kinovea, and they work great for the price, but I really want more. It looks like the IDS cameras are the most popular next step up, and at around $600 that it looks like some of you have found them at I'm happy to step it up.

I was quoted today an "OEM" price for the IDS 3140CP2 & 3160CP2 (CP2 is the new Rev. 2 version) cameras from 1st vision for $720, & $800 respectively + another $125 for a locking USB cable through my manufacturing business. My guess is this is because of the new revision, so I asked for another quote for the old revisions if they are still available.

I'll post my findings here.

Comment

• sittnndukk66
            sittnndukk66 commented
            Editing a comment
            Well they said that there haven't been any revisions to the 3140, or 3160... maybe the price has just gone up that much? You guys that have them, do you know the exact model #?

Those of you that have the 3140CP, or 3160CP cameras; did you have to purchase a USB cable separate?

Comment

Do not spend $125 on a USB cable..that is insane.

Any Micro-B terminated USB 3 cable will work. It doesnt need to be locking, I would recommend against a locking cable just because they are really annoying. The place you are buying the camera from may tell you that you need a "special" usb cable..but that is a lie.

I bought this cable for $9 for my IDS 3140 camera. Works fine. 15 feet long.

I paid $590 for the 3140CP2 + $30 for the tripod mount, from 1stVision.com. The salesrep I went through was Tom Hospod (thospod@1stvision.com). This was December 2016, so prices may have changed since then.

I have attached the 1st Vision quote, maybe it can help you get a better price.

Comment

Hey just super curious. I’m new to a lot of this.
              What are these camera for?

Comment

Originally posted by KPaas View Post
                Hey just super curious. I’m new to a lot of this.
                What are these camera for?
                For seeing just how terrible your swing looks!

Check out Swing Catalyst. Its software that can connect to a high-speed camera and record your swing. There is also a popular free program called Kinovea that does the same (but sadly doesnt support IDS cameras).

Comment

Thank you Shardak!

I'm dealing with the same sales rep. I sent him another email beating him up on pricing. I think your quote will help. Thanks again. I'll let you know what I find out.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with the 3160CP, or have good experience with cameras and understanding the specs? I'm wondering how the 3160CP compares to the 3140CP? I see that SwingGuru sells the only the 3160CP.

Comment

• FaultyClubs
                      FaultyClubs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The 3160 has higher resolution and needs less light (about half) assuming comparable lens and your software fully supports it.

Been doing a bit of research on this topic for a while and found a little different setup that can be used for camera setup. In no way am I an IT person and don’t understand this all.

I am using the Kinovea software with my current setup, looking to switch over to something a little easier to use one day. For a camera I am using Elgato cam link ($150 Can) with an action cam, has to have an HDMI out. What the Elgato cam link does, is turn any camera into a webcam; there is a lot more going on here that I can’t explain. I used this because I was able to borrow the cam link from someone to test it out. It maxes out at 1080P 60 fps from HDMI out to the computer, you can do other resolutions and FPS. It looks just as good as if you were to record your swing, let's say with a go pro, and transferred it onto your computer to watch it on the big screen.

CPU usage using the cam link is very high, you could not run two of these at the same time with sim software as well. There are other capture cards out there that do all the work outside the computer. But from what I can tell reading on forums when you plug these other captures cards in the computer it does not recognize it as a webcam; which is what the cam link does so it is a plug and play. I have seen multiple YouTube videos on showing how to get around this so that other devices could be used and hoping to try sooner than later.

This is really not that much cheaper but just opens the door to using different cameras, or potential that you already have a camera that could be used. Just putting something a little different out there and you could use these cameras for other things other then just golf, might be a little easier for most of us to convince our better half.

I am going to do a bit more research and plan on buying a capture card that has two HDMI inputs and does all the work. This way I would be able to use two cheap action cameras in the "golf dome", this is just what my wife calls my sim setup, and be able to use them at the driving range or other activities.

Comment

Thanks Faulty!

Salomons, cool to see I wasn't the only one who looked into that as well. I really wanted to use my gopro, and buy another; in the end I was afraid that I just wouldn't get the result I'm after. Keep us posted, I'm interested to see how that all turns out for you.

I'm going to place an order for two IDS-3160CP cameras right now.

Comment

Working...
                      X