Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skytrak for Left Handed Players Question(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skytrak for Left Handed Players Question(s)

First off - this forum is an incredible resource. Thank you to all who contribute so much

I'm looking to move from OS2 to a ball-tracker system and Skytrak is a leading candidate. I've searched the forum and cannot find a definitive answer to my question. I apologize in advance for any redundancies.

I've seen other lament that moving the Skytrak unit to switch between left and right players is cumbersome but no one really explains why.

Is the Skytrak difficult to calibrate? Does it require special lighting or is it challenging to get in just the right spot for accuracy? If I were to mark where it needs to go on each side of the 'grass' strip, why can't a person just pick it up and move it to the other side?

Does the software (E6, TGC or JNPG) automatically switch between dexterities depending on the player who's up or does it need to be manually switched in the settings (in this case I can see where it would be an issue)? Is one better than another in regard to this issue?

I've attached an image of my hitting bay for reference. Ideally, I'd prefer to keep everything as is and simply place the Skytrak in the proper position.

Please let me know what I am missing. Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	opti.jpg
Views:	9616
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	146639
    Attached Files

Depends on how type A of a golfer you are. For me and my buddies, we are weekend hackers. I have gotten immensely better with the skytrak but nowhere near the point I can hit the left back green level... more of a GIR 40-50% type skill level. My playing buddies are even worse.

Moving the skytrak back and forth not a pain at all, but likely makes the accuracy slightly off being half a degree off here and there. If you are a really good golfer that might ruin the experience but for me with a couple of beers doesn't bother me at all.
    My courses:
    Aldeen
    Butler National
    Cantigny
    Canyata
    Cog Hill #4
    Harbor Shores
    Harborside
    Naperville Country Club
    Prairie Landing
    Rich Harvest Farms
    Ruffled Feathers
    Shoreacres

Comment

I'd also love to hear some more discussion of this question from actual owners. I'm still thinking about an ST myself. One consideration in the mix is that my wife plays left-handed, and her being able to use it might ease the pain, if you get my drift.

From what I do know about this question, the main issues are these: 1) the simple annoyance/time of moving the unit for every shot; and 2) issues with alignment and leveling. As understand it, you must have the unit parallel (perfectly?) to your target line. I could see how this would be a particular issue if using it direct-connected with USB, less so if on wifi (which apparently is preferred if not required). There have been some solutions noted on these pages: marks, a turntable, and the like. I've wondered about a sort of base with hole for the feet of the metal case, or just the unit if not using the metal case. OTOH, I've seen some YouTube videos where a guy is moving it for putting (the reason escapes me). It doesn't seem like that would be much different than moving it to the left, and he doesn't seem to be placing it all that carefully. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrIzmZz9EAs

Anyway, I'd love to hear more about this issue.

Comment

Get a new wife... problem solved.

Comment

The laser orientation changes for left or right handed players, so that's the main obstacle. If space isn't the limitation, you can technically not have to reposition the Skytrak. That's to say, if you have enough room to set up screen/net on either side of the hitting area then each player have their own surface to hit at.
          But just about everyone is limited to hitting in the same direction, to one screen/net. The Skytrak has to stay in front of the golfer so this is the challenge.
          Someone made a lazy susan, turn table platform and that should work if you have a big enough hitting area to accommodate hitters on both sides of the Skytrak.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

I understand why the orientation changes depending on which direction the unit is facing. I prefer not to make significant modifications to my hitting platform to accommodate multiple hitting strips, however there's room to do so if that's the best long term solution.

I don't mind picking up the unit and moving it from one side to another. I could easily put a little framework in place to make sure the device is placed in the exact same place every time - essentially idiotproofing the platform. The only issue with this approach is that every single shot would need to be hit from the exact same place on the mat, instead of moving the Skytrak and distributing the wear.

Does anyone have any experience with how the various software programs deal with switching between LH & RH players? I think that's the last unanswered question at this point. If the software forum is a more appropriate place for this question, I'll bring it up over there.
            Last edited by mikejuly; 02-27-2018, 01:50 AM.

Comment

This is what I did and you would do the same by indexing the skytrak to a known repeatable position. I had to sell my TGC so I do not know how that handles the l/r switch during a game. JNPG automatically switches during simulated rounds with both right and left handed players playing. You do not have to fiddle with it at all. It makes L/R play very seamless. You can move it faster than Skytrak is ready for the next shot. No time wated.

Comment

• mikejuly
                mikejuly commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the demonstration and for taking the time to chime in.

So if I understand your setup, you don't necessarily have to have the unit sitting even with your feet/hitting surface - i.e. it's OK that it's recessed an inch or so? Does this affect reading of highly lofted pitches & flop shots?

I have a Skytrak and friends who are lefty's come over from time to time. Here's what I've done.
              I have two 4' x 4' standard mats with a 1 ft fiberbilt hitting mat between. My Skytrak is in the metal protective case they sell.
              I turned the legs on the case upside down so that the bolt end is on the mat,
              I then made 2 patterns out of 1/8 inch Masonite in the shape of the bottom of the case and drilled holes where the legs would fit.
              I aligned the unit on both sides using the patterns and then screwed them through the stance mats into plywood below so they wouldn't move.
              Now both left and right are well aligned and it takes seconds to switch back and forth, just place the legs in the bolt holes.
              The only other tip I can give you is to make sure your unit is fully charged so no chords, and operate off WiFi for the same reason. ( also seems to work better off WiFi anyway)
              The sim software will switch back and forth as long as you put the correct setting when you enter you're golfers, at least on The Golf Club, which was my preference for a sim.
              As far as wear goes, I have my unit set up so that the dot's from each side reach across past the middle of the mat to help with the wear. The ball can be moved slightly around the dot as well.

I find the Skytrak is great, you need patience to set it up properly but once you solve all the little idiosyncrasies, it's great.

Hope this helps

Comment

• mikejuly
                mikejuly commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Man.

I like this idea a lot. My setup is similar - I've got a platform made out of OSB and 2x4s extending about 8 feet on each side of the hitting strip, which are covered with 1/2" anti-fatigue mat. I could easily drill through the materials just like you have.

It might be worth mentioning that this is in my office, and my hitting bay's primary function is actually for presentations and such. Adding Optishot when I built out my space was sort of a 'because I can' endeavor. So making major modifications or having odd looking cutouts in the platform is not really an option.

But having a few random holes in the platform isn't going to look bad at all. Thanks again.

You absolutely need to have the skytrak level with the hitting surface. I have a cutout below the surface and the skytrak has legs to raise it up to level. I simply pull the legs up against the wood to align perpendicular to the impact screen.

Comment

I put two pieces of wood trim (1/2" quarter round) - each about14" long - screwed into the sub floor. It is a very quick matter to pick the unit up and turn it 180 degrees and place is against the "alignment rail" when changing from left to right or vicea versa. My sim is in a pole barn with a concrete floor - so I installed a 16' X 16' sub floor - I used 2' X 2' dri-core tiles from home depot - to alleviate potential moisture problems. On top of the sub floor is a synlawn syngreen carpet - also from home depot. For the hitting area I cut out the sub floor - 8" X 16" and installed a cut piece of the ultragel pad - the pad is very close to level to the top of the sub floor and the carpet lays over it. So the skytrak is mounted flush on the carpet and rests against the alignment rail. This is working very well - when the syngreen carpet wears out in the hitting area I will cut out a piece and replace it with a cut piece from an emerald par mat which I am "holding in reserve. So far the synlawn is holding up very well - but for sure you have to hit the ball cleanly - or the distance of your shot is greatly diminished from the silicone pad resistance. I have both TGC and JNPG - both can be set up for left handers. I think with the JNPG you can actually change in the middle of the round or from shot to shot - in the event you should ever need to. In any case the JNPG has been a major PIA and most of the time (thus far) it doesn't work and I haven't figured out why. But I digress.

Comment

• mikejuly
                  mikejuly commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's seeming like the rail method is the way to go. Thanks for chiming in.

I'm curious about your experience with JNPG... what specifically don't you like about it if you don't mind me asking? That's actually the software I was leaning toward.

I bought a wooden dowel from a hardware store for about $5 and attached it to the bottom of the FMJ with a lag bolt and a washer. There was an extra hole already drilled so that made it pretty easy. The hole isn't centered but it's not a big deal at all. With my set up I have a 3" piece of wood that I put on each side of the mat so all we have to do is make sure the feet are nudged up against it. I played two full rounds with a lefty without having to charge the Skytrak and it worked well. I don't have my projector yet so you will have to adjust the offset in the future if/when TGC or JNPG implements righty and lefty profile offsets.

One other thing I will be doing since physically moving the Skytrak from righty and lefty requires you to be in network mode is to attach an external usb charger with some zip ties so I can have the Skytrak constantly charging so if we play for more than 4-5 hours at a time.

Comment

• mikejuly
                  mikejuly commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's interesting. What's the dowel for? A handle? Is it that big of a deal to bend over and pick it up (not trying to be snide or obnoxious - I'm legitimately curious)?

• wbond
                  wbond commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Curious as well as I think the cover has a handle doesn’t it

• brg1875
                  brg1875 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Haha not an obnoxious question, there obviously is a handle on the FMJ, it just makes it that much easier to pick up and move.

I'm a lefty and all my friends are righty. Moving it back and forth (to me) is no big deal. I worried about it a lot before buying the Skytrak but so far has been a non-issue. My hitting bay is only 10 ft wide, and I don't use a projecter/screen. If projecting in my setup one issue would be the fact that I'm hitting on the left hand side of the bay and the righties would be hitting from the right hand side....so neither one hitting the middle of the screen. You need a bay wider than 10 ft to hit the middle of the screen.

I've got a place on each side where I placed some marking tape on the floor of the garage to insure we put it in the same spot every time. I also used the alignment lights and a laser level to place aiming strips of tape between the mat and my net to give you an aiming visual. For me, it works really good. My opinion may change one day when I get a projector.

One other thing I did which helps with playing multiple rounds with both righties and lefties is I attached a portable battery pack, like for charging a cell phone, onto the side of the protective case. That way I can insure I have plenty of power to make it through, since keeping the Skytrak plugged into the wall while moving back and forth really isn't a good option.
                Last edited by Tmorelock; 02-27-2018, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Lefties can hit with the SkyTrak oriented to right hand by having it between the stance and the ball. We do this all the time, my lefty friends have no complaint.
                  e6 software lets you designate right or left for each player...but we set all for right handed.

Comment

In answer to mikejuly concerning JNPG problems. I finally got it sorted out and its working fine. I would have to say the thing I disliked about the whole experience is the total lack of documentation concerning how to get the software up and running. First I tried to call for help - and the support person actually gave me incorrect advice regarding the sequencing required to start the darned software - so the red light never came up. I questioned the directions she gave me and suggested a change - specifically to not "close" the first window which comes up after launching the software (the control panel or whatever its called). That fixed that - but then I got tripped up by clicking on the "connect to skytrak button" during startup - which seemed a logical step. The red light would come up - but no shot reading took place. Instead of calling I searched the various forums and found that my clicking was "confusing the software". So I stopped the clicking and voila - it works just fine. I think the JNPG is a good choice if you want to play scrambles or more than 4 players - which cannot be done on TGC - until version two is released sometime within the current millennium I am quite sure. I like the "auto putt" feature of JNPG - but when you're playing a scramble it putts out the first player to land on the green instead of the best shot on the green - that's pretty poor feature implementation in my view - who wouldn't agree? Lastly - when I did get it working and tested it I found it to be great fun to play a two against two scramble (4 golfers) all by myself. Gee - I played "72 holes of golf" in about an hour and a half. My team won! Lastly - to anyone, if you like golf I'm pretty confident you'll love having a simulator - this is unanimous view of the 12 or so buddies who have also played on mine.

Comment

• Whiskeyjack
                      Whiskeyjack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah I totally agree, any buddies who come over to play on my setup are impressed with it. And I'm still working on it. Using an old projector now looking to upgrade over the summer or maybe soon if I see a good price anywhere. Looking at either an Optoma gt1080Darbee or a BenQ th761st. Once I get that going it's going to look great.

Thanks for all the feedback guys - I've learned a lot and am much closer to a buying decision

Comment

Working...
                    X