SkyTrak update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkyTrak update?

SkyTrak_Seth I've been on vacation and out of the loop for a few weeks. Any news on when the update ST has been working on will be released? I assume it has not yet as my ST has not done any update that I saw. Thanks

It's due out in Q1...

Comment

Originally posted by trumb1mj View Post
      It's due out in Q1...
      ...of 2020?

Comment

It was a joke. Obviously well beyond the promised q1 date.

Comment

Maybe some BIG is coming....like.....SkyTrak II with dual cameras to track club data ?

Comment

• Gresh12
            Gresh12 commented
            Editing a comment
            I tested mine against Trackman indoors. I’m confident in my unit aside from left to right deviation. My driver ball speed in the 150s so didn’t notice big under reporting.

My unit seems to have a bit of a left bias on hla (even once setup square for multiple shots many still read left that I don’t think are) and I think the hooks/slices are a touch extreme versus what I see in real ball flight (the small draws/fades seem realistic).

End result is more big left misses than I believe are actually happening.

• calebm1001
            calebm1001 commented
            Editing a comment
            @gresh we’re in the same boat. The tolerance of +/-2,3 certainly feels to just be -3 at all times. As you know, that means a nice push draw of +2 HLA could end up being -1. Instead of maybe being at target when the ball lands, now we’re 6-9 yards left of target. That’s what we paid for I suppose. I just never see a ball that 100% starts left of target show up as a +1-3. The incorrect read is always left.

• jrz
            jrz commented
            Editing a comment
            I remember a comment was made a while ago where someone said they had been unable to get a draw to start to the right with ST, and I agreed. It's good to hear of others voicing the same issue.

I found their hardware spot on and repeatable. I did feel that it was slightly low on ball speed but not that noticeable until higher ball speeds. Caleb should be able to take it to the range and confirm. It's not going to snow here til tomorrow night.

Comment

• calebm1001
            calebm1001 commented
            Editing a comment
            I was hoping to get to the range yesterday or today but for some rediculous reason, we got 6” of snow... ugh. May can’t come soon enough.

• Wizard of Coz
            Wizard of Coz commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe gone by this afternoon ridiculous ridiculous ridiculous!

I'm guessing something similar to TrueGolferNorth - Rapsodo has been working on tech for a camera/doppler device for a while, and now is the time that SkyTrak would need to enter the market with something to compete with the Uneekor. ST has been quiet for a while, which usually happens before the PGA show and around big software updates. I may have missed something, but it appears that ST has been quiet for noticeable amount of time. They are focused on something - it may be a software update, but fingers crossed it's the next version of ST...

Comment

• gkkling
            gkkling commented
            Editing a comment
            I had asked a similar question and Seth had responded that no new hardware updates would be out in 2019. Most likely they are focusing on the 3.4 (high ball speed) and 4.0 (graphics). They were out in California doing some ball speed testing a few weeks ago so I figure it either didn't go well or they are polishing it up. I'm expecting a firmware update for that one so they need to be careful on pushing that out (i.e. extra testing).

• jrz
            jrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmm, good insight gkkling. It will be interesting to watch how Uneekor changes the sim landscape this year. Without knowing a lot about the Uneekor, but knowing that ST won't be releasing new hardware this year, makes me pretty close to an instant convert.

• Morini
            Morini commented
            Editing a comment
            The doppler would make sense as it is low coast and would give measured club head speed, and a second opinion of ball speed. I really really don't think there is any hope of a new device that can measure club head data. Far too complicated, and far too small a market.

I think anyone who bought recently is safe from obsolescense. I can maybe see some minor improvement to remedy some of the weaknesses. Perhaps more accurate HLA. And possibly lower production cost, which may or may not result in a cheaper device.

Good points,Morini , but I am still clinging on to a tiny bit of hope because:
          1 - The time between the latest relevant Rapsodo patent and today is already a lot longer than the time between the SktTrak release and its patent filing (this from memory, so I may be wrong, but I’m fairly confident I’m close);
          2 - They do cool capture things in other sports, which means their developer bench is probably pretty good and know how to do club data several other companies have figured it out;
          3 - Three years is about right for a hardware update, bolstered by the fact that Doppler and camera components gets lower every day;
          4 - We, the little ones in the golf world, need SkyTrak to rescue us from the tyranny of the expensive and fancy launch monitors... Uneekor gets us closer to fair for home consumer, but is price tat will still be too hefty for many, if not most;
          5 - Bedause it would be totally f#cking awesome to have a consumer affordable launch monitor on the market!!!!!Good points

Comment

• trumb1mj
            trumb1mj commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you have any other info (or links) on "Uneekor"?

• jrz
            jrz commented
            Editing a comment
            There's a thread on this forum about it.

For me, the most valuable part about the ST is the portability and integration with iOS. My setup is outdoors and requires I break it down after each use. If I had a sim room, something like Uneekor would be more competition for GC2 I'd think.

Comment

I think its interesting that Skytrak reps have all gone quiet in the last couple weeks. I can only imagine that this means all hands on deck right now as they are working on the updates, and who knows, while they said they wont have any hardware updates/upgrades for 2019, perhaps they will announce a prototype in 2019 for alpha testing and release in 2020.

Comment

• jrz
              jrz commented
              Editing a comment
              Do all ST users now have TGC2019?

• SkeetShooter
              SkeetShooter commented
              Editing a comment
              No... I wish though

That or they saw the roll out of TGC2019 and want no part of the same reaction so holding out until what ever it is they are doing is 100% ready. I would be willing to bet if they do any Alpha testing it is not announced but rather a select few doing it with the agreement no talking about it publicly.

Comment

I just got my Skytrak a week ago. I only have used it with my 4 and 2 iron so far. My initial impression is that the reported distances are on the low side.
              My reported ball speeds on very good hits with my 2 iron were between 135 and 143mph. Am I in 'the ball speed danger zone' concerning correct readings?

Sometimes what I perceived as good hits only carried about 195m (213yards) when normally I expect 210m (230yards). One shot at 141mph carried 227m (248yards) which seems about right, but other shots that really felt similar only carried just under 200m.

It's a bit annoying not knowing if you can really trust the numbers.

Comment

• wbond
                wbond commented
                Editing a comment
                Take it outside to confirm. If this is the first time you are swinging indoors at your own location, indoor swing can have an effect.

• Wizard of Coz
                Wizard of Coz commented
                Editing a comment
                Although i think my skytrak lagged a little in ball speed more noticeable at higher ball speeds, I found it really consistent in its readings. It got to the point I could almost guess the yard it was going too land on based on my strike. Especially inside 100 yards. Totally trusted the readings on scoring clubs and transferred nicely to outdoor golf.

I agree. Have had the SkyTrak for about a month and nearly all of my swings are way short of reality and the club head speed is low on driver by about 10-12 mph when compared to various other speed radars. Frustrating.

Comment

• FaultyClubs
                FaultyClubs commented
                Editing a comment
                The Skytrak doesn't measure club head speed. It guesses. Best to ignore and stick to what is actually measured.

I really have a hard time trusting the numbers skytrak gives me. In the beginning of this week I was hitting it 220m with my 2 iron of the tee on good hits (one was 242m even, with 151mph ball speed).
              Today and yesterday was the opposite. I hardly could hit 200m. I've always been hitting outdoors, so that might be a differentiating factor?
              I'm using blue callaway truvis balls, also tried prov1x's.

A place nearby has a trackman I can book for 35$ an hour. I think I will test my Skytrak there and compare it with Trackman's numbers. I will post some data in the course of next week.

Comment

If the club head speed is a guess, then distance is also a guess. Which is problematic for many applications except ball flight. I put in a request for them to add smash factor as a displayed number, because this is important for most golfers to determine their efficiency and it is a simple calculation from numbers they already read. It should be there already. But if club head speed is always low, it throws off smash. This also potentially makes you swing harder because you known you are way short of normal. It needs to be corrected or they should add a manual calibration of swing speed in the software to be able adjust for poor readings when compared to a more accurate Doppler speed radar.

Comment

• FaultyClubs
                  FaultyClubs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, smash factor isn't just a simple calculation based on numbers they've already got. Once again, skytrak doesn't measure club head speed.

• Morini
                  Morini commented
                  Editing a comment
                  1. Ball speed is measured. You can trust it unless you are a beast with the driver. Then it reads a few mph low.
                  2. Smash is a combination of assumption and educated guess.
                  3. Club head speed is calculated based on measured ball speed divided by assumed smash.
                  4. Distance is calculated based on measured ball parameters.

• wbond
                  wbond commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Distance is not a guess. It's a calculation based on measured ball parameters. Skytrak does NOT measure any club info.
              Working...
              X