Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Analytics for SkyTrak data - would appreciate feedback

I built this to have a better view of all my SkyTrak shot data:

If you’d like to try it out with your own data, and you run SkyTrak on a PC, sign up at https://gunghogolf.com/signup and follow the Analytics link in the menu. Full instructions will be there. You’ll be uploading a database file from your PC to my server. (Your analytics page will be private, unlike mine which I’ve opened up for demo purposes.)

Would love feedback! Here’s a screenshot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	6DE65FCA-EC8C-4F74-9801-96B320CCA045.jpeg
Views:	2710
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	213215

- Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Can you explain how you're getting club data? AoA, CHS, face and path??

Comment

• GungHoGolf
      GungHoGolf commented
      Editing a comment
      SkyTrak calculates those numbers based on its measured data, assuming center clubface strike. The club data is in your database, but not exposed in the current version of the SkyTrak app.

• JackedUpSwing
      JackedUpSwing commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't understand how it could calculate dynamic loft or angle of attack based solely on ball measurements.

• GungHoGolf
      GungHoGolf commented
      Editing a comment
      The models do a respectable job for path, face to path, AoA, and dynamic loft based on launch angles and spin. For example, given a certain horizontal launch angle and side spin and assuming center face contact (no gear effect) there is only one swing path and face-to-path that will produce those numbers. And it’s the same idea in the vertical plane for AoA and dynamic loft.

That is pretty impressive! Very cool way to look at each club in your bag.

Comment

The models do a respectable job for path, face to path, AoA, and dynamic loft based on launch angles and spin. For example, given a certain horizontal launch angle and side spin and assuming center face contact (no gear effect) there is only one swing path and face-to-path that will produce those numbers. And it’s the same idea in the vertical plane for AoA and dynamic loft.
      Very interesting. What if path and face zero each other out? There must be many combinations of face and path that produce a given HLA and spin axis while still hitting center face? For example path 7 degrees in to out, face 1 degree closed.

Very nice representation of the data. Perfect for club fitting, gapping etc.
      Last edited by Morini; 07-11-2019, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Morini View Post
        Very interesting. What if path and face zero each other out? There must be many combinations of face and path that produce a given HLA and spin axis while still hitting center face? For example path 7 degrees in to out, face 1 degree closed.
        No, that’s the key: for a given HLA and sidespin rpm (spin axis factored by total spin) number, there is theoretically only one combination of face and path that will produce it (again assuming no gear effect).

Originally posted by Morini View Post
        Very nice representation of the data. Perfect for club fitting, gapping etc.
        Thank you!

- Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

This is really cool! Thanks for putting it together, I just took a brief look but there is a lot of interesting data there which could be very useful. Looking forward to exploring more of it later.

Comment

• GungHoGolf
            GungHoGolf commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you! Appreciate the feedback.

No, that’s the key: for a given HLA and sidespin rpm (spin axis factored by total spin) number, there is theoretically only one combination of face and path that will produce it (again assuming no gear effect).
          I'm not sure I follow. My example (+7 degrees path, -1 degree face) will read zero spin axis, zero side spin, and zero HLA, just the same as zero path, zero face would. Thus theoretically, there are infinite combinations that will produce a given HLA/side spin. Or am I missing something?

Anyhow, very impressed with this effort. Very professional.

Last edited by Morini; 07-11-2019, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• GungHoGolf
            GungHoGolf commented
            Editing a comment
            Perhaps we're mixing terminology. When talking about face, I'm talking about face-to-path, not face-to-target - just so we clear that up. SkyTrak's face number is the same - relative to path. And SkyTrak's path is relative to what it thinks the target line is.

But on to your example. Any time the face angle is different from the path angle, there will be side spin. So +7 path (way inside out) with the face off -1 from that (so face is at +6 to target line) is going to result in a big push and slight draw, with some draw side spin but not enough to get it back to the target. +7 path and -3.5 face would be a big push draw that usually would make it back to the target. Zero path and zero face would result in a perfectly straight shot with no side spin, starting and staying on the target line.

Besides zero path and zero face-to-path, there is no other combination of path and face that will make a ball start and go perfectly straight to the target with zero side spin. Same as there is no other combination of path and face that would produce your +7 / -1 example of a big push with slight draw back (with exactly the same HLA and side spin numbers).

• GungHoGolf
            GungHoGolf commented
            Editing a comment
            If your example of +7 path and -1 face was actually referring to a face -1 of the target line, that would start about straight but would have significant draw side spin and curve far left of the target. Either way, why do you think the side spin would be zero if the path and face differ?

That makes sense. The shot would start out straight, but would need off centre strike to cancel out side spin, and your assumption was centre strike, so you are absolutely right, only one combination.

Comment

It looks like there is a code needed to sign up for this now. Is there one available?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just read the website a little closer and figured it out.

Comment

If anyone wants to try this out, invite codes are still available. Email me at hello@gunghogolf.com with your request. Thanks! - Ron

Comment

• pwade3
                pwade3 commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s awesome. I have sent you an email. Cheers

Outstanding. I have been using this for a week now and its fantastic. Took a little while to believe in the numbers as I was thinking it was club face relative to target but after re-reading your earlier posts I get it. Its a great way to understand your swing a little more. It is great to have AoA. It would be nice if there was a way to tag sessions as I have my daughter who trains with the Skytrak so our overall data will be skewed. We have been uploading then look at it for that session. Fantastic though. I highly recommend it for anyone who has not tried it. Well done putting it together. You must love golf!!. Great website also.

Comment

Originally posted by pwade3 View Post
                Outstanding. I have been using this for a week now and its fantastic. Took a little while to believe in the numbers as I was thinking it was club face relative to target but after re-reading your earlier posts I get it. Its a great way to understand your swing a little more. It is great to have AoA. It would be nice if there was a way to tag sessions as I have my daughter who trains with the Skytrak so our overall data will be skewed. We have been uploading then look at it for that session. Fantastic though. I highly recommend it for anyone who has not tried it. Well done putting it together. You must love golf!!. Great website also.
                Thank you so much! Means a lot to hear positive feedback like this.

Regarding multiuser support, for now you can use different clubs. But the next SkyTrak software update is widely expected to have multiuser support, in which case I’ll be able to build it in to Advanced Analytics also.

Comment

Will be trying this out soon. Looks very interesting.

Have you had a chance to compare the additional data with other launch monitors such as Flightscope etc.??
                  Last edited by Lkdog; 12-02-2019, 12:35 AM.

Comment

• GungHoGolf
                    GungHoGolf commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have not. But a new Trackman indoor facility has opened locally, so I hope to do it soon.

• Morini
                    Morini commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If center face contact, it should be close.

GungHoGolf Can you say which database file you are pulling from the PC to get the hidden data? DM me if necessary, I'd like to poke around as I'm a bit of a techy myself

Comment

Originally posted by Celeras View Post
                    GungHoGolf Can you say which database file you are pulling from the PC to get the hidden data? DM me if necessary, I'd like to poke around as I'm a bit of a techy myself
                    Will send you a PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X