No announcement yet.

Does SkyTrak Make You a Better Golfer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does SkyTrak Make You a Better Golfer?

SkyTrak has been my go to practice aid during lockdown. It cost me a lot of money so after lockdown was lifted in the UK i went to the course to see if it has worked and if it has improved my golf game! It was definitely interesting! I filmed my first round back so check it out to see how I got on!

I guess I go against the trend but this is my playing handicap since owning a Skytrak, I am doing something wrong

Click image for larger version

Name:	hdcp1.PNG
Views:	2489
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	272516

Comment

• Mitchynew
      Mitchynew commented
      Editing a comment
      Out of curiosity, which sim software are you using to play courses?

• simmb
      simmb commented
      Editing a comment
      I started off with JNPG for a year and then moved to TGC/TGC2019.

Interesting! Why do you think you have been losing strokes? Off tee, chipping, putting etc.? My handicap has been up and down since using indoor sims/launch monitors. For me it was always a combination of all the above. That’s golf! Overall I think the units helped but who knows.

Comment

• simmb
      simmb commented
      Editing a comment
      Everywhere has been affected. Driving I am a lot more wayward than I used to be probably because I am trying to smash everything as hard as I can, short game I tend to leave everything short and same with putting I rarely get it past the hole. I play way too much simulator golf that’s the issue , doesn’t matter as much if you are wayward of the tee in virtual land and the greens in the game are way faster than anything I play here in the uk hence the reason I leave everything short in real life. It’s my fault I should use it more as a training aid and do less of the sim rounds.

I dropped from a 16 to a 8 within a year of buying a SkyTrak 5 years ago and practicing every day, mostly due to finally curing my OTT path and learning to draw the ball.

Now down to a 3.9, probably half due to regular practice with SkyTrak and really knowing my distances and "feeling" shot shapes, and half due to regular play (1-3X a week in Austin, TX year round).
    - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

• jefe
      jefe commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm in Round Rock. Any courses you recommend in the ATX area? Lakecliff has had some great Golf Now deals of late. But it's way out there in Spicewood.

Any launch monitor can help you improve if you take the feedback it gives you and apply it appropriately.

I got my Skytrak about 2.5 months ago and on Saturday I played my first round of outdoor golf since getting the Skytrak (Covid and having another baby have kept me off the course lately).

First few holes I hit some thin shots, probably a result of hitting off the mat so much and gradually shallowing out my swing. But all in all I hit the ball well as my swing has stayed nice and grooved hitting in the garage multiple times per week. Short game and putting weren't great though, as simulating that is just very difficult and then having to do it on actual grass where you don't always have a perfect lie. And on the one bunker shot that I had I had to stop and really think about how to hit a bunker shot because it's just a simple chip on the sim (before proceeding to then hit a lousy bunker shot).

I would argue that using a launch monitor to practice can absolutely help you improve. But playing too much sim golf and not enough real golf could certainly show up in your real golf game (such as the case on Saturday). If nothing else though, the Skytrak and TGC have kept me hitting balls 4-5 days per week. Without it I wouldn't even be touching my clubs in between rounds, so it's certainly beneficial from that standpoint because it gives me a reason to go out and hit balls. If I just had a net to hit into with no launch monitor, there's no way I'd be motivated enough or interested enough to do that on a nightly basis.
    Last edited by 3on3putt; 06-01-2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

HDCP before skytrak 2-5 low round 2 under 70
      40 years of playing

HDCP after using skytrak range 0-2 low round 6 under 66
      3 years of playing.

Hmmmm thinking 🤔 it helped

Comment

It has definitely helped me rehab after an accident requiring surgeries to both shoulders (and other injuries) left me unable to swing at all for almost two years and with an initially very weakened, different and guarded delivery. Trips to the range were not just initially painful and as a result short; they were frankly a little embarrassing at first. SkyTrak (and video) were a really useful combo to work at it as much (or as little) as I could tolerate, take breaks, and have several mini sessions in a day if I wanted. They showed me exactly what was going on and tracked progress which kept me positive. And the convenience of it made the progress quicker without question. I was just under a 10 handicap pre-accident. I'm currently just over an 11 on my card but just shot my record low score which is going to take that down.

That doesn't directly answer the question has it made me a "better golfer". My swing speed is still a good 10 or more mph less then it was due to the injuries. But my handicap is almost back to where it was and still dropping. Maybe by the end of the season I'll have a better answer, but for now I'll say I'm convinced it has helped me get "better".

Comment

The short answer to this question is 'Yes'. I was a 5.5 prior to Skytrak and I'm currently a 3.7.

The long answer to this question is once you get into the single digit handicap territory, you can typically make solid contact with all of your clubs. You might not be throwing darts on every hole, but consistently giving yourself chances to make par. Getting into low single digits and beyond requires a very good short game.

For me Skytrak really helps the long game, but its difficult to use as a short game (30 yards and in) practice aid. Its fully capable of being a short game practice aid, but I'm not sure any simulator can really capture the short game. I haven't experienced anything that perfectly replicates a short game practice area at a real course. Green speed, ball interaction with the turf, club interaction with different grass lengths, not having a perfect lie, and anything involving sand are incredibly difficult to replicate.
          My published courses:
          Musket Ridge Golf Club
          TPC Potomac (Avenel Farm)
          Worthington Manor G.C.
          Baltimore CC (East)
          Caves Valley Golf Club
          TPC Sawgrass - Stadium
          Lodestone Golf Club
          Pebble Beach Golf Links
          Myrtle Beach National - King's North

Comment

I think all the launch monitors help. I believe if you practice on the range and work on your swing with the data provided is the best way to do this. Some launch monitors give more data than others and some require a little more guesswork on how to fix a swing issue. I still believe the range is a must use on SIMs to improve game. Now for playing golf on the SIM software can be deceiving in my opinion to what you would actually shoot on a real course. I believe you will shoot lower scores on sims due to not having bad lies, real wind and short game forgiveness. I spend 90% of my SIM play on the range and practice modes. I keep track of shot sessions and analyze closely for trends. This has really helped me with hitting solid and hitting ball more consistent on carry distances. I also believe people tend to swing a little differently indoors for what ever reason. Did your shot shapes outdoors resemble skytrak at all?

Comment

I think without club data its hard to make substantial improvments, but it it does provide the easy ability to swing and practice more and see the results. Not much different than hitting the range but way more convenient.

Comment

• Morini
                Morini commented
                Editing a comment
                You do get numerical ball data, so it is definitely a step better than the range. You can dial in distances, analyze spin, launch angles etc. You can also infer face and path if you assume center face contact. The biggest benefit is how accessible it is if you have a setup at home.

I’d say if you aren’t getting better with a SkyTrak setup (and you are trying), you need to question how you are practicing. In 15 months I’ve gone from around an 8 to a 3, and that is while doing a big swing change to more of a George Gankas model. If I had just kept my swing, I could have gotten there quicker.

For your iron game the best drill in my mind is using the randomizer setting in the SkyTrak range. This is especially true for inside of 100 yards, as this is the area where anybody with a simulator should be almost as good as the pros. You may not have the body or mobility to hit it 300, but you do have what’s needed to hit great wedges.

The next step is a ton of drivers. Personally I need to develop a consistent shot shape with my driver to get to the next level.

Comment

Don't fall into the rabbit hole of remembering your absolute best shots on SkyTrak and using those to choose a club. Hit a bunch of shots with a club on ST, throw out the plain old look up/duffs, throw out the extra long distance pull shots and then see how far you hit the the club on average. I caught myself subconsciously using my BEST shots on ST as my distance guide. Bad idea.

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
                  Wizard of Coz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I use the avg of my solid shots. Then I plan to hit it solid on the course. Equally bad idea would be to take your average including poor shots. On the course 99% of the time you don't want to be long. Nothing worse than puring your approach shot and making double from behind the green. Just my 2 cents.
                  I agree you can't take your pull shots into consideration cause those are most likely half a club or more long. Straight solid shots and calculate.

I have been using it since December and I am definitely seeing improvement, however it was a bit of a roller coaster early. What I have noticed is I was constantly tinkering with my swing to get the results I was looking for. After 4 months, I think I am finally in a spot where I no longer need tweaks and showing a difference on the course. Just had back to back career bests at my local course just shy of single digits (typically a bogey golfer).

The distance control has made a huge difference, hitting a lot more greens and then my putting started to suffer. Picked up one of those pressure type putting tools and got me back to more 2 putts.Once you fix one thing, you start to see new holes to plug.

Comment

I have had my SkyTrak since spring 2019 and use it a couple times a week exclusively outdoors in my backyard. My handicap has gone from 15 and currently down to 13. I have found that SkyTrak has significantly improved my iron play, in particular my longer irons (4 and 5) particularly using the Game Improvement package. The day before or day of a round I often practice hitting PW through 4-iron with set green placements. My GIR has improved materially.

I have mixed views about it improving my driver and short iron play as I find that my SkyTrak has a driver draw bias that I don't experience on the course and that ball speed and carry distance are underestimated relative to what I see on the course (driver, PW and 9-I). But it has helped me bring my driver launch angle down from around 20 degrees to 15 degrees (which was the subject of a post and extensive well intentioned and helpful exchange with Morrini). My driver club head speed is about 95 mph.

Comment

Working...
                  X