Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour 2021-2022

Join the most exciting Golf Simulator Tour!

Tournaments are open to golfers of all ages and skill levels. Get in on the excitement of Golf Simulator Tours, Challenges and Tournaments: https://golfsimulatortours.com
See more
See less

Skytrak Aging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skytrak Aging?

Hi everyone!

I'm working on setting up my golf simulation room, and I plan on installing a skytrak.

I'm looking at second-hand owned skytrak and found a nice deal for a 2019 purchased skytrak.

My question is related to how well skytrak devices age.
    Is there any difference in a skytrak built in 2019 vs 2021? Same technology, same accuracy, same components and everything?
    How long can one expect a skytrak to last if well taken care of?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Cheers from France
    Aurélien

I have a Skytrak from 2016. It is in operation every day for 2-4 hours during the winter season (October - March), so far no problem.
    Last edited by Mirek_62; 01-14-2022, 12:32 PM.

Comment

I had a Skytrak from 2018 and in 2019 the laser curtain (the trigger to take the pictures which measure the ball) stopped working. Luckily, they fixed it under warranty and I was back up and running in a few weeks.

Since then, i sold the skytrak in 2020 and purchased a certified pre-owned Foresight GC2. If you can manage the extra cost, I would highly recommend going this route. The Skytrak was great but had a few annoyances.

1. The ball placement is very specific. Sometimes I would hit a really good shot and the Skytrak wouldn't register the shot. This is simply due to the launch window being smaller on the Skytrak vs the GC2. Also, the GC2 allows you to put down the ball in a larger area on the mat in front of the unit, versus a specific spot for skytrak

2. The shot feedback is delayed. Although this didn't really bother me much as I was hitting into a net. But now i hit into a screen and i like seeing the ball continue as it hits the screen.

3. Skytrak is pretty accurate, but some of the tolerances are larger. For example, (going from memory here) the horizontal launch tolerance on the skytrak is +/- 2 degrees, and on the GC2 +/- 1 degree. Vertical Launch Angle window on skytrak is 55 degrees +/- 1 degree, GC2 is 70 degrees +/- 0.2 degrees.

Anyways, hope this helps and good luck on building your set-up.

Cheers
      Alex

Comment

Originally posted by alexsmith11 View Post
        I had a Skytrak from 2018 and in 2019 the laser curtain (the trigger to take the pictures which measure the ball) stopped working. Luckily, they fixed it under warranty and I was back up and running in a few weeks.

Since then, i sold the skytrak in 2020 and purchased a certified pre-owned Foresight GC2. If you can manage the extra cost, I would highly recommend going this route. The Skytrak was great but had a few annoyances.

1. The ball placement is very specific. Sometimes I would hit a really good shot and the Skytrak wouldn't register the shot. This is simply due to the launch window being smaller on the Skytrak vs the GC2. Also, the GC2 allows you to put down the ball in a larger area on the mat in front of the unit, versus a specific spot for skytrak

2. The shot feedback is delayed. Although this didn't really bother me much as I was hitting into a net. But now i hit into a screen and i like seeing the ball continue as it hits the screen.

3. Skytrak is pretty accurate, but some of the tolerances are larger. For example, (going from memory here) the horizontal launch tolerance on the skytrak is +/- 2 degrees, and on the GC2 +/- 1 degree. Vertical Launch Angle window on skytrak is 55 degrees +/- 1 degree, GC2 is 70 degrees +/- 0.2 degrees.

Anyways, hope this helps and good luck on building your set-up.

Cheers
        Alex
        Thanks for the advice! I've actually seen a skytrak in action at a friend's house, so I know the flaws that you've mentioned. That being said, I'm more of a casual / trying to improve golfer than very serious about it, and I'm already stretching my budget with the current project, even with a skytrak. I've checked out the certified pre-owned Forefisght, they look amazing. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to afford one, who knows.

In the meantime, I'm trying to asses if saving 700$ for a 2019 skytrak is worth it - with the risk of purchasing something that was not well taken care of - or if I should by a brand new one.
        If they are reliable enough, then I guess I'll take my chance with a pre-owned one.

Comment

For what it’s worth - mine is from Fall 2014 and still operating fine. I had one of the first units distributed.

Comment

As far as I know, zero hardware difference between the oldest and newest units. The laser curtain and battery health would be the two things to keep in mind. I don't think the strobes or imagers wear out. At least I have never heard of them doing so.

Comment

Get a new one. My three year old unit is gumming up. You will have a warranty

Comment

Working...
              X