Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie ready for a build. Skytrak/TGC

Hey Guys,

Been to this site a few time over the last year while planning a sim build. Took some time to get settled into a new house with a detached, heated (Canada) 3 car garage. Garage has 10' 2" ceiling. it is 25' deep by 30' wide. The deal is I can blow a ton of money on if, just a reasonable amount. If I was to do a dedicated area with parking for two I figure I would only be able to have a 11' wide screen. Im not sure if that would be good enough so I have figured that I will use a 16 x 10' x 14' footprint sideways in the back corner. Screen size would be about 15 x 8.5 if in 16:9, or 14.4' x 9' if in 16:10. I am leaning towards 16:10.

Prices in Canadian $

Looking at raw Supertex screen ($400) with a net backing. It would be on a 1" EMT frame ($400) with tarp clips. I may build a padded valance to frame if and blackout everything around the screen (I am in construction) It would come out from the wall 4 or 5 feet or so. The the one side that is open to the garage would have blackout stage curtain ($400) on a track that could be pulled out the entire length of the sim (16 feet deep).

The flooring for the first 9' from the wall would be a fixed area that would stay in place. Nice padded carpet of turf with underlay ($400). Then the hitting area would be a structure that either folds or rolls away on top of the permanent area, perhaps lock into other flooring with interlocking foam as an underlay. I would have to do this to allow middle vehicle to be parked. This is a compromise, but I think I can pull it off and worse case, if it drives me nuts, I can always downsize to the dedicated 11' wide space (where the red car is now). I plan on just having a strip of CCE real feel 12"x36" to hit off ($150). It would be either dropped down to stay level, or the stance area would be built up.

I have internet and cable into the garage already. Natural gas fire heater. It is all insulated. Floors are concrete, but I may lay rubber tiles.

Looking at BenQ 2150ST for a projector, $1300. Have a desktop computer that I just picked up for $800. i7 and GTX 970. Might do a touchcreen eventually.

TGC software ($1300)

Got a secondhand Skytrak ($1500)

So all in im looking at:

Screen and EMT frame = $800
    Carpet & Underlay & Hitting strip = $550
    Computer and TGC = $2100
    Projector = $1300
    Skytrack = $1500
    16' Blackout Curtain and Track = $400
    Various Cables, wood and whatnot = $500
    Various Unforeseen = $500

Total = $7600 +/-. ($5700 uSD)

I think that is a reasonable about. Im a member at a local club all summer, so I will never use it 6 months of the year. But it's a long winter up here and this should help to keep the game sharp. Wife is also a member at the local club and has been taking lessons. Her swing is coming along, so I think she will enjoy it to. What do you all think? looking forward to the tour. Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_first-designcopy.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	100191

4rightmike.

I think you are on track. One site I migh refer you to is this one. It will get you some of the stuff from one place and might be more expensive but I do not believe by much. My guess you will use it in the summer time - the tournments are very fun.

I went with the superbay. They can get you boarder matt as well.

Comment

Thanks,
      I did have a look at them before. Like you said, it's a few more bucks but might be worth it. I was looking at a bit more of a "built it" feel rather then portable. Ill keep it in mind, thanks! You are right, I probably will still play a few tournaments.

I took the Skytrak into an indoor golf sim where I live and had it going side by side. Numbers were a little different, but "consistently" different. Skytrak read about 5 years longer. Im a happy guy.

Comment

Working...
      X