Carry distance on the Golf Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carry distance on the Golf Channel

I was watching yesterdays golf fix and he hit some 6 irons and showed the numbers from them.
    Carry............ball speed................LA...........side............ ..back
    190.3..............121.8....................19.1.. .......132L.............4585
    196.4..............124.2....................?????
    155.6..............107........................17.. .........222L.............4829
    175.................118........................9.6 ..........249L.............4092 He tried to lower the LA with ball back in stance.

I just tried to hit some 6 irons on the GC2 and (not feeling great right now so) could only hit one that had 121 ball speed and the carry was 169 yds.
    I tend to hit my 6 off a tee about 180 yds outside, without feeling like I am over swinging, but also when I hit the ball solid. Breed says he normally will carry his 6 iron 180 yds.

Is the About golf adding that much to their sim to get those numbers. When they play to a green for a closest to the pin, they always seem to be right on with their shot choice with yardage so is that reading high or is the GC2 that low? Or would it be safe to say that if you were hitting on a hot summer day of 90 F and calm that you could see a carry like they showed.

What do you Protee guys get for a ball speed and LA and carry for a 6 iron?

Mountain Time

That carry seems high. Will check and let you know.

Comment

6 irons will vary also. The newer sets are strong and a 6 is really a 5.5 iron.

Comment

I can't hit a 6 iron that far. My 5 iron carries around 165-170. AboultGolf carry seem a little long to me too. They have just gotten used to the sim's distances. I've seen Breed sometimes give a strange look after some shots.

Comment

Looks like they have it set up to jack the distances a little long to me..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 4.46.06 PM.png
Views:	375
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	15947
          Attached Files
          Central Time

Comment

Optimal flight distances seem more accurate. I play on a About golf sim every no and then and I find their distances too much. This is a +40k machine!

Comment

Could it be the elevation that the system is set for?

Comment

Perhaps! I would assume no elevation and no wind.

Comment

Thanks for the Optimal flight numbers. I will need to look into where to download that program or is it one you need to buy? It seems like the About Golf is using similar boost that the Foresight Software does. Funny how a major golf show would not make sure the system was giving accurate carry numbers before showing them.

Mountain Time

Comment

Foresight range is boosted. AboutGolf is boosted. Both are used in golf stores to sell more clubs! hehehe.

Comment

Was he using there marked balls. I find on the about golf system if you are not using there balls the system is all over the place

Comment

It did not seem that they were a special marked ball or that you could see any markings at all. This was not the first time I looked at the ball speed and carry numbers and thought they looked high on the carry end.
                        Mountain Time

Comment

Working...
                        X