Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Thundergolf (NET and GROSS) winning the TGC 2018/2019 WINTER TOUR - ProTee Open Hawaii !

Join this weeks TGC 2018/2019 WINTER TOUR - CareerBuilder Challenge with 2 rounds at PGA West (Palmer) Thursday : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...lder-challenge
See more
See less

Opinions of HMT and having club data, worth it?/GCQ owners chime in as well.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've owned SkyTrak; now have GC2 and HMT. I'll avoid the SkyTrak vs. GC2 discussion since I've already been down that path.

There's no comparison with having club data, especially if you're working on your swing. I can produce a similar result with two radically different swings but you wouldn't know why unless you've done some work with club data. If you want to know why the shot did what it did, you have to see the club data. The ball flight laws simply aren't enough.

Also helps you tell if your clubs have the right lie angle. I put dots on a teaching pro's clubs and showed him that his "custom fit" clubs he's been playing with for 2 years were two degrees too upright. He had no idea but could see the difference after about 5 mins on the HMT.

Comment

I've had a GC2 for almost 5 years and an HMT for 2. The biggest thing I can say is the problem for Foresight is they made a product that is too good. The thing is so accurate that there's no reason to ever replace it. My pro has the GC2 and Quad. He said that the accuracy difference is pretty much nil. A lot of quad users will say the quad is more accurate but the GC2 is so accurate I'm not sure how much more accurate a quad can be. I've used mine several times in comparison to Trackman outdoors and they read pretty close compared to both TM and actual ball flight. The new features are nice but they both read the same. The only flaws in the GC2 IMO is that is has to sit in front of you and needs to be turned around for an opposite handed person and stickers. The quad is the same.

Comment

HI everyone

I think if you can afford 15K or whatever for a GCQ, just buy a GCQ, and get a certified or used skytrak as well.

The skytrak cost is peanuts in comparison to forsight stuff.

You could use your GCQ for seriously working on your game and the skytrak for sim play on TGC 2019 etc.......
        Foresight sim play looks very costly re course purchases and upgrade costs every 2-3 years etc...

You could also take your skytrak with you if you're going out of the country for some reason, holidays, work..........whatever, GCQ is region locked.

You also won't be concerned about damaging your skytrak when you take it travelling with you cause repairs are pretty cheap too.

If you don't use your skytrak after having owned both for 6 months you can sell it again.

If i had 15K+ i'd just get both.

regards
        HappyG

Comment

I know this isn't a thread on software as much as hardware but I LOVE the TGC sim tour that we play. I would not want to make any decisions that eliminated that option.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyGilmore102 View Post
            HI everyone

I think if you can afford 15K or whatever for a GCQ, just buy a GCQ, and get a certified or used skytrak as well.

The skytrak cost is peanuts in comparison to forsight stuff.

You could use your GCQ for seriously working on your game and the skytrak for sim play on TGC 2019 etc.......
            Foresight sim play looks very costly re course purchases and upgrade costs every 2-3 years etc...

You could also take your skytrak with you if you're going out of the country for some reason, holidays, work..........whatever, GCQ is region locked.

You also won't be concerned about damaging your skytrak when you take it travelling with you cause repairs are pretty cheap too.

If you don't use your skytrak after having owned both for 6 months you can sell it again.

If i had 15K+ i'd just get both.

regards
            HappyG
            Why wouldn’t you just get a GC2/HMT combo and play TGC with it instead of a Quad you can only use with FSX?

Comment

Got my GC2 a little over a year ago, just got an HMT. Very happy with both. I also got FSX when I purchased the HMT, just started it up last night for they first time.

HMT is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Combined with FSX the amount of information is amazing!

Now, will it lead to lower scores............... TBD!

Comment

Each of us has a hierachy of factors that are important to us re our LM. The decision on GCQ vs GC//HMT probably turns on where portability vs. acess to various golf sim software falls within our personal desires. I think the strength of resale value with GC/HMT helps make the decision more competiive than the normal product cycle most of us are used to.

Comment

I have a GC2. I had an HMT too but I sold it.
                  Why ?
                  - GC2 gives you all the feedback you need to virtually reproduce the ball flight (indoor practice or sim). I won't go in the debate of accuracy and compatibility with other softwares than Foresight's ones (mthunt told everything in post #17)
                  - HMT data are very useful... but that meant too much information to me (I didn't find how to use it seriously without being a pro or seeing one frequently). Plus the dot stickers are a pain when you're playing real golf.

Of course, it's only my opinion regarding my needs.

Comment

I have the GCQuad and have found it to be tremendously useful. Specifically, the swing path information was invaluable to me. My big miss was/is a slice and I used to think it was because of an over the top move. However, after practicing with the Quad, I realized that it was actually because I was coming too far from the inside and it was a push-slice. Could I have determined that without the Quad/HMT, probably but through trial and error? The second part was Attack angle with the irons - I noticed I was not hitting down on them a lot. This assessment of my driver and iron swing resulted in me working with my head pro and committing to a complete overhaul of my swing. This has paid dividends and I dropped below a 5 handicap for the first time in my life. So this first year I just used HMT functionality with 1-dot, since I was focusing on swing mechanics to improve path and attack angle.

Now that I have got the swing down, I am now trying to focus on quality contact, especially on the driver. So I put 4-dots and can see the impact position and how that results in better Smash factor. I just started doing this 2 weeks back and realized that I was teeing the ball up too high for my swing and hence hitting slightly above the sweet spot. I am fixing that now and can see I am hitting better shots.

Do you need the HMT for the things above, probably not as you can figure it out in different ways? But I don't get much time to practice (work and kids keep me busy), so when I do get the time, I like to get the data so it helps me effectively practice during that short time.

So a big thumbs up from me for the HMT functionality!!
                    Last edited by catshannon; 01-15-2019, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I will piggy back here. Long time skytrak user who recently purchased a GC2 HMT. If you already have a Skytrak, no reason to get a GC2 without a HMT. The HMT is imperative in my opinion to differentiate itself from the skytrak. I'm sure the gc2 is more accurate, but without the HMT I don't know if the price difference is justified.

That said, I have no regrets going from Skytrak to GC2 + HMT. Club head data has been imperative to learning what I am doing wrong, making adjustments to my swing etc. You'd be surprised how much face to target and face to path have on which direction your ball starts and ends up.

Having an instructor who uses this type of technology definitely helps as well!

Comment

Working...
                      X