Buying a GC2......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a GC2......

I will be buying a GC2 shortly. It's not that I am unhappy with my current PX5 set up, it's just that I have decided to try and sell the Px5 with the house. It would be a tremendous amount of work to move my PX5...... not so much moving it as repairing the basement to make it look like it was never there. So I have turned on 0 degree putting to see if I can accept that. Putting on the PX5 is accurate and realistic. I can't imagine that a better putting experience on a sim. I am sorry but I would definitely notice if my sim was only accurate within a degree or two for direction. I remember doing the rail test with my PX 5 and being shocked that the Hcam was so accurate for direction. I am looking forward to have accurate spin numbers. The PX5 was a huge help in understanding how club path and face affect shot shaping. Just last week IRL, I had many shots shaping like I was intending. The two main reasons for me switching is ease of install and having accurate spin numbers. Around the green, I would like to be able to work on all the different shots. Accurate spin numbers will be key for that. I also want to build an actual 15x20 putting green surrounding the hitting area. This putting area will have 3 or 4 tin cups installed near the screen. A chipping area with rough, fringe, fairway will be at the far end of the putting green. GSA has come up with a LS trigger camera that will work on a green background, but my current LS cam will not trigger all shots without a flat black backdrop.

Originally posted by keither5150 View Post
    I will be buying a GC2 shortly. It's not that I am unhappy with my current PX5 set up, it's just that I have decided to try and sell the Px5 with the house. It would be a tremendous amount of work to move my PX5...... not so much moving it as repairing the basement to make it look like it was never there. So I have turned on 0 degree putting to see if I can accept that. Putting on the PX5 is accurate and realistic. I can't imagine that a better putting experience on a sim. I am sorry but I would definitely notice if my sim was only accurate within a degree or two for direction. I remember doing the rail test with my PX 5 and being shocked that the Hcam was so accurate for direction. I am looking forward to have accurate spin numbers. The PX5 was a huge help in understanding how club path and face affect shot shaping. Just last week IRL, I had many shots shaping like I was intending. The two main reasons for me switching is ease of install and having accurate spin numbers. Around the green, I would like to be able to work on all the different shots. Accurate spin numbers will be key for that. I also want to build an actual 15x20 putting green surrounding the hitting area. This putting area will have 3 or 4 tin cups installed near the screen. A chipping area with rough, fringe, fairway will be at the far end of the putting green. GSA has come up with a LS trigger camera that will work on a green background, but my current LS cam will not trigger all shots without a flat black backdrop.
    Can you let me know which mat are you going to get for both putting and chipping?

My plan also is to have a hitting mat on where I hit + then have a putting mat at least from the hitting mat to the screen (a vertical line) + and hopefully to have a rough and a sand hitting mat right next to my hitting mat. I just don't know which product would be the best for all of these. Not to mention for the hitting mat I would need to get a injury-proof mat as my wrists sometimes hurt if I divot it or hit the back of the ball.

Comment

• Solstice72
      Solstice72 commented
      Editing a comment
      Is E6 the only software that can be used with TrackMan? How your system going overall and the putting? How far back is the minimum distance needed? My room length will be 28 feet.

• keither5150
      keither5150 commented
      Editing a comment
      The PX5 has the best putting system....hands down. Speed and direction are measured very accurately so that no putting forgiveness setting is required. With the PX5, you can work on your putting stroke with confidence that what you are seeing is accurate. The PX5 requires that all shots be taken near the center line. You can have rough or sand panels a head or behind the hitting area but they need to be on the center line. Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see this post until today. The length of room is fine. I putt from 11 feet away. Trackman is beta testing TGC right now.
      Last edited by keither5150; 10-17-2017, 02:11 PM.

Fiberbuilt is really good for joints. My plan is to have a large putting mat with a fairway surface 12"x36" inserted into the putting mat. I am hoping that the hitting area can cover both the putting mat and the edge of the fairway mat. The chipping area will not be for playing TGC..... I will be chipping at targets on the screen and to the future holes by the screen.

If you are looking for rough, sand panels, I know that GSA allows such a thing. They have to be front to back though, so that you are hitting from dead center. Sand and rough panels will not have club data. I though about it briefly but decided against having those panels.

Comment

Keither, I've been following your posts for 8 months due to GSA interest. Just joined here though today. House breaking ground now so things are getting real. Room will be 28x22x11. Hoping for your help. Really need to pick either px5 or gc2 and get going. Will get E6 & TGC. I want no bs accurate putting and club data to train shot shaping like you did. Starting today you would still take the gc2 over px5 in a new home due to getting spin numbers? I wanna dig the px5 but feels GSA here lacks posts & momentum am I missing something big picture on them. I won't be as good as you tweaking to calibrate that system is that reason enough to dismiss?
      Secondly, the area in front of the screen, you'll have cups? What for? I mean, I think I want them too 15 x 17 putting area around hitting mat, but help me with the point. Not related to simulation play right? Just practice? Im going to dump money into this project, anything else come to mind? I thought i might get a 4k enhanced projector but am concerned the software doesn't have real 4k assets really wouldn't shine accordingly.

Comment

If you require lefty / righty play.... the PX5 is a good choice. If not, the GC2 is so much easier. For lefty righty play, your choices are ProTee or GSA. GSA has a big advantage when it comes to putting. If putting and club data are not important to you, I would lean towards the GC2. I have my PX5 calibrated with the help of the GC2. Spin numbers are within 10%. Speed and LA are super close....usually within 2-3 %. Direction can differ a bit as the PX5 is really accurate due to the overhead camera. The GC2 will have a 1 degree +/- for direction. This will mean that at times, the shape of the shot will be slightly different.

The GC2 has a big advantage chipping around the green. I can chip 25 yards and put 1000, 1500,2500, or 3500 rpm of backspin on the ball quite easily. With the PX5, you have to use a combination of LA and ball speed to increase or decrease you spin rate. Once you get used to this method, it is pretty easy to get them close to pin. Yeah, it is not as accurate but what are you going to do when the system can't pick up the open club face while chipping.

My new sim room will have a few cups and a some chipping turf at the edge. This is for practice and not sim play. I am going to carefully select my area turf, so that it closely accepts chip shots like a real green.

As for 4k....... it is a little premature going 4 k right now. Extremely costly and I am not sure if the benefit on a impact screen would justify the cost. Once 4k can be picked up for the same cost of today's 1080p..... I will be switching.

The PX5 has been great for me. It has helped me understand the relation between club face and path. The GC2 is a better choice for me right now because I need to work on spin around the green. I also wanted a cleaner look to my sim room.

I haven't been playing a whole lot because of a groin injury. I only played 8 or 9 rounds IRL this year. And usually the wheels fall off near the end of the round due to fatigue. This winter, I will be working hard on my short game. The GC2 is a slightly better choice for around the green.

Comment

All awesome feedback. Thank you, I'm indebted, can't get a real answer for this stuff sometimes. Lastly, think I want px5, but can you clarify the GC2 "so much easier" statement. I don't want an ongoing headache either or high maintenance tech snags.

Comment

• keither5150
            keither5150 commented
            Editing a comment
            Easier set up. But once the PX5 is set up, you never have to touch anything, you just turn it on and play. The GC2 is simple, a few easy steps to get it running. The PX5 requires some mounting of cameras and running cables. Then you have to calibrate it. I can calibrate mine quite quickly. A newbie may need a remote session from GSA to help with the set up. GSA's setup instructions on their website are now quite detailed. GSA's vcam calibration tables are quite accurate. As long as you have one club in your bag that you know the distance on, it's not that difficult. You can set your scale based on how far that one club goes. Once that is done, the other clubs will be very close. You will have to adjust your spin setting based on how the ball reacts. Spin adjust has a general setting and can also be adjusted on a per club basis. I did a little YouTube video comparing pitch shots between the two sims. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0QYHiltJ8M You will notice that the GC2 on the right was picking up more spin than the PX5 was calibrating. I have since calibrated my PX5 spin rate to closely match the GC2. I had to add almost 25% more spin to pitch shots to get them to match. I might do another video with the sims side by side. Maybe an 8 iron this time. I did have the GC2 beside a trackman 4 at a outdoor range. The data on most shots were close to identical. At times the Trackman showed as much as 3 mph faster. Spin rate was within 5% as well. Side spin was the only one that differed at times. Occasionally the GC2 had way more SS than the trackman. This happened .....maybe 1 out of 9 shots or so... The golf pro was very impressed with the GC2's capabilities.

Back to your decision.....if you want club data, the PX5 is a great choice for the dollar. In my basement with perfect conditions I can hit draw after draw. The PX5 has help me a lot. Out IRL with all of the different lies, I am not that consistent. Short chips is the GC2's advantage over the PX5. Putting and club data is the PX5's advantage over the GC2.

As for ongoing headache. The PX5 has less no reads than the GC2..... for me anyway. At times there will be an GSA update that may adversely affect you. If that happens, just roll back the driver and let GSA know that their latest update messed up things for you. This has happened to me 3 times since 2012. And I install every new update...... probably over 100 since I started with GSA.

• inorkuo
            inorkuo commented
            Editing a comment
            I started with the protee system which is very similar to the px5 and ended up with a gc2. the sensor based systems are good but I am happier with the gc2.

Yes, the ProTee system is very similar with exception of putting. The GC2 is nothing short of perfect around the green. Being able to trust the spin numbers is huge. Sensor systems have trouble because they can't detect when you really open the club face. I will be keeping the GC2 for the new sim room. I can hit draw after draw with the GC2 as well. Last year I was working on shot shaping. Now that I understand what is required for that, the next thing to work on is spin control. And for that, you need the GC2. For someone who needs to work on shot shaping, the PX5 or Protee is a awesome system. And if putting is you nemesis, you can't beat the PX5.

Comment

I understand very well the contrasts/trade offs, thanks so much for the time for this. Can I ask, that px5 club calibration thing, does every player that shows up in the simulator have to be calibrated to set their scale?

Comment

• keither5150
              keither5150 commented
              Editing a comment
              No, once it is set, you are done
          Working...
          X