Draw Spin Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draw Spin Question

I'm curious how these HMT numbers cause a draw with an 8 iron. Any idea?

Thanks
    My Courses:
    World Par 3's by mthunt
    Toronto GC (L) mthunt
    Burlington G&CC by mthunt
    Weston G&CC by mthunt
    London Hunt Club L mthunt
    Park CC Lidar mthunt
    Sunningdale GC Robinson L
    Sunningdale GC Thompson L
    Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
    Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
    The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
    The National GC L mthunt
    Mississaugua GC L mthunt
    Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
    Markland Woods CC mthunt
    Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
    Magna GC L mthunt
    Barrie CC L mthunt
    mthunt Range

Originally posted by mthunt View Post
    I'm curious how these HMT numbers cause a draw with an 8 iron. Any idea?
    Beats me! Club data looks like it should be about 1.8* push with fade.

If it was hit off the toe, that could cause some draw spin because of gear effect, but not sure if it could make that much difference, and doesn’t account for the initial side angle ....

????....

Comment

It was flushed. Here’s an HMT pic showing not toe. I took a few trying to get the best image.
      My Courses:
      World Par 3's by mthunt
      Toronto GC (L) mthunt
      Weston G&CC by mthunt
      Park CC Lidar mthunt
      The National GC L mthunt
      Mississaugua GC L mthunt
      Markland Woods CC mthunt
      Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
      Magna GC L mthunt
      Barrie CC L mthunt
      mthunt Range

Comment

Can't see the impact but I have a feeling it's likely hit on the toe thus caused a draw.

Based on the numbers, the ball should be starting from the right and spin itself back to the middle or ever so slightly to the left of the target.
        I think there are 2 speculations in my opinion:

1) Since GC2 and HMT output data separately, there is likely a discrepancy or fault in the numbers outputted in either or both devices.
        2) I found out that GC2 likely has a slight draw bias than real life, and HMT has more deviations in Face Angle. Therefore, assuming that GC2 was right (as GC2 is the one that outputs ball data to present it in the software), then Face Angle was more closed than what HMT is showing.

If GC2 is wrong, then Spin Axis was a bit more positive.
        If HMT is wrong, then Face to Path should be a negative number (likely Face Angle being more closed than what it's showing).

One other factor to note is that HMT always seem to show exaggerated dynamic loft. With an 8 iron it should be somewhere in the low 20's. So what that means is Face to Path and Spin Axis wouldn't cause that much of a hook/slice than say a driver.

I guess we can go on from there....

Comment

• mthunt
          mthunt commented
          Editing a comment
          The funny thing for me is that the draw bias only presents in my sim. When outside it doesn’t show draw. Strange. Plus, of my friends who are all strong players, only I show draw. I’m straight outside to even fade.

In this the ball started slightly right (almost straight) then draw like the GC2 numbers dictated. I just don’t understand how if the face is open to path.

Thanks for the thoughts.

• LEO MODE
          LEO MODE commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, if you think face to path is suspect then it could be either Face Angle or Club Path being slightly off.

As Stingreye mentions below, Lie could also play a role too. Check if it was an upright shot.

• mthunt
          mthunt commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll check that tomorrow.

Ok so it was a centered strike....HMT's impact location is very accurate so I would say then GC2's showing more negative Spin Axis...

Comment

So which is “more “ accurate the gc2 or the hmt? Or tighter tolerances

Comment

• mthunt
            mthunt commented
            Editing a comment
            They list the same tolerances but I test the GC2 vs real flight outside. It’s accurate

Mthunt, I would bet money it was lie angle. Toe likely was up. Switch the lcd display to show lie angle vs dynamic loft.

edit: I can try to find a few shots to show the impact of lie angle on my fsx live account. Whenever the “ball flight” laws seem to be violated, the lie angle and/or impact location have been the reason for me. Early on I thought my hmt was broken until an instructor that uses hmt showed me the the hmt was not lying.
          Last edited by Stingreye; 12-02-2018, 11:11 PM.

Comment

• LEO MODE
            LEO MODE commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree, it could also be a lie factor too. There is some tolerances with the launch monitor too so since your shot should've been pretty much straight it can just be that slight 2-3 degree differences that made the difference. Perhaps you can also try some moderate to extreme hooks and slices and see the numbers and go on from there too.

• Stingreye
            Stingreye commented
            Editing a comment
            Although not perfect, the face to target is likely around .8, (subtracting path from face to path). Ball went .3 right. I would have thought the face at .8 with an in to out path would have the ball starting further out to the right. HOWEVER, if that toe is up, that would be more likely to Start the ball further left similar to your .3. It also would also cause some draw spin. Lie angle will impact shorter clubs the most. I had a great wedge fitting recently and he spent the majority of the time dialing in my lie angles.

• LEO MODE
            LEO MODE commented
            Editing a comment
            Face Angle was 3.8 degrees open because Face to Path is Face Angle minus Club Path. So now that Mark said it was toe up, Face Angle should've been presented more closed to make sense (assuming lie angle was presented accurately). I am speculating somewhere around 1-2 degrees open (ballpark) as Spin Axis value was around 5 degrees to the left which would create that nice little baby draw. What was the Side distance Mark? That could tell me even better information on where the ball should've started in the first place.
            Last edited by LEO MODE; 12-04-2018, 05:37 AM.

Also I'm sure you are already aware, but Launch Direction is about 75% of Face Angle and that Launch Direction number is closer to Face Angle than Club Path, it's also a likely chance that Face Angle should've been way more closed than current number (at 3.8 degrees open), as Launch Direction was only 0.3 degrees and Club Path was 2.3 degrees open. Launch Direction matched highly with Trackman outdoor too so assuming we have about 0.5 degrees of tolerance, it looks like Face Angle also should've been about 1 degree closed or open rather than 3.8 open reported as it is, which could then match both Launch Direction as well as Face to Path numbers more accurately.

I feel that it's probably due to HMT's inconsistent Face Angle parameter, as Club Path was more consistent than Face Angle in research studies and if you had a lower number on Face Angle, it would've created negative Face to Path which explains your issue clearly.
          Last edited by LEO MODE; 12-03-2018, 04:44 AM.

Comment

I hit some balls today. I’m average 2.6-3 degrees toe up on an 8 iron.
          My Courses:
          World Par 3's by mthunt
          Toronto GC (L) mthunt
          Weston G&CC by mthunt
          Park CC Lidar mthunt
          The National GC L mthunt
          Mississaugua GC L mthunt
          Markland Woods CC mthunt
          Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
          Magna GC L mthunt
          Barrie CC L mthunt
          mthunt Range

Comment

• andygg1986
            andygg1986 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, you need your lies bent 2 or 3 degrees flat, not more upright.

• LEO MODE
            LEO MODE commented
            Editing a comment
            Try bending it flat 2 degrees and go on from there. I would be cautious to keep bending it especially if the iron was cast. Because I’ve seen people bending it and ball flight was the same. But with your consistent swing I’m sure it’ll solve the issue.

• Golfbeat
            Golfbeat commented
            Editing a comment
            I stand corrected.

Sounds like you tracked down the issue - but for future reference:

For those of you originally suspecting gear effect, it's rarely going to be a significant contributing factor an iron. Gear effect requires the head C.G. to be sufficiently behind the face impact location to effect the spin. Driver, woods, even hybrids - certainly. Irons, not really.
          Last edited by StuartG; 12-04-2018, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• LEO MODE
            LEO MODE commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. Below link sums it up pretty nicely as you said.

Use TrackMan Numbers to Quickly PinPoint the Strike Back in September at The Belfry whilst attending a TrackMan day Tom Davis of TaylorMade showed us this image of Rory McIlroy’s TrackMan data from…

The author couldn’t answer my question on some numbers not being explained because I think Trackman also has error tolerances like HMT and is even more worse on tracking impact location which would present numbers we can’t explain. Ball physics should explain the numbers clearly as it’s not like our body with billions and billons of neurons working together.

Does lie angle effect ball flight on a driver? I'd think it would.
          My Courses:
          World Par 3's by mthunt
          Toronto GC (L) mthunt
          Weston G&CC by mthunt
          Park CC Lidar mthunt
          The National GC L mthunt
          Mississaugua GC L mthunt
          Markland Woods CC mthunt
          Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
          Magna GC L mthunt
          Barrie CC L mthunt
          mthunt Range

Comment

• andygg1986
            andygg1986 commented
            Editing a comment
            It does but not nearly as much due to the lower loft. You can visualize it by laying the club on the ground with the toe pointed straight up. The face of a driver would be aimed around 8 degrees left, but a lob wedge would be closer to 45 degrees left. Of course that would be the extreme case of your club being too upright, but it makes it easier to see. In your case of being a few degrees upright, a driver would be negligible but short irons would see an effect

• StuartG
            StuartG commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually, the differences among different clubs (lofts) are not as big as you might think.

Very interesting thread. Made me look at my latest Trackman (outdoor - normalised) data more closely:

This data is an average over a few shots - similar to the OP, with the driver my face-to-path is open, but the spin axis is negative (right-to-left). In this case, because it’s a driver, does this mean I must be striking it off the toe (gear effect).

See also the attached photo of the impact position of a few drives on the course yesterday - the strike pattern is from low-heel to high-toe. Does this mean anything (or just that I need hit the centre of the face more!)?

I haven’t collected evidence, but I feel like I hit closer to the centre on all my other clubs (see strike of a single shot with my 3w from yesterday.

Thanks,

Dan
          Attached Files

Comment

• mthunt
            mthunt commented
            Editing a comment
            Those clubs have some use. Oh boy. FT9?

• DannyMRICS
            DannyMRICS commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha ha. Yes, over 10 years old. Callaway 460X Tour.

Originally posted by StuartG View Post
          Actually, the differences among different clubs (lofts) are not as big as you might think.
          https://www.tutelman.com/golf/design/lie1.php.
          So, toe-up at impact with the driver and/or a toe strike could cause more draw spin than indicated by the face-to-path?

I wondered if that low-heel to high-toe strike pattern might indicate a toe-down: then the impact variance is mostly horizontal, with little vertical variance....

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DannyMRICS View Post

So, toe-up at impact with the driver and/or a toe strike could cause more draw spin than indicated by the face-to-path?

I wondered if that low-heel to high-toe strike pattern might indicate a toe-down: then the impact variance is mostly horizontal, with little vertical variance....

Dan
            Toe up could for any club. A toe strike could for driver/woods/hybrids but not really for irons.

Some people use impact patterns to judge lie angles - but I don't recommend it. There are too many other factors that could be contributing to the impact location. Best to check the lie angle directly and it's really easy to do. Just get a dry erase marker and put a straight line on the ball. When you position the ball on the mat or tee to hit, make sure that line is vertical and in a position to impact the face. This will leave a line on the face that will tell you whether the lie at impact is upright or flat or perfectly fine.

Comment

Working...
            X