System requirements for GC2+HMT w/ FSX & other 3rd party sim software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System requirements for GC2+HMT w/ FSX & other 3rd party sim software

I just joined this forum last week and this is my first post. I apologize in advance, but it’s a long one.

I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered a certified refurbished GC2+HMT with FSX. I want to get some advice from the experts on here ona few different topics.

As far as minimum and optimal system requirements, I realize that Foresight has recommendations, but I also want to get some real world input. I bought a relatively high-end custom-built gaming desktop computer last July for use with X-Plane 11 flight sim software, which is very graphics intensive and requires a powerful processor, similar to FSX.

The system specs are as follows:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-8600K Processor (6x 3.60GHz/9MB L3 Cache)

Cooling: DEEPCOOL Captain 240EX 240mm Liquid Cooling System

Memory: 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-3000

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti - 8GB - EVGA SUPERCLOCKED GAMING (VR-Ready)

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING -- RGB, Gb LAN, USB 3.1 (4 Rear, 4 Front), ASUS TUF Protection

Hard Drive: 500 GB WD Blue SSD -- Read: 545MB/s, Write: 525MB/s

I don’t know much about overclocking, but I did use the overcloking software that came with the computer to overlock the processor and video card.

So is this system sufficient to run FSX and other golf sim software programs? Actually I want more than sufficient. I don’t want to have to reduce the various graphics settings in the sim software so that it runs smoothly and doesn’t freeze up or run slowly. I would prefer to be able to have graphics settings as close to the maximum as possible.

Regarding the graphics card, I did a lot of research at that time because I was debating between getting the NVidia GTX 1080 or the GTX 1070 Ti. The 1080 was significantly more expensive and from all of the articles that I read where they ran head to head tests between these 2 graphics cards, an overlooked 1070 Ti was on par with the 1080.

I also have a question about location. This computer is currently located in a desk in a upstairs office where I have also all of my flight sim controls, but I am planning to set up my golf sim in my garage. I thinking about getting one of Par2Pro’s new remote control retractable impact screens that I can mount above my garage door. Whenever I want to play sim golf, I can move my wife’s car and our golf cart out of the garage. Close the garage door and bring down the impact screen. I would be hitting towards my garage door where the impact screen would be.

So so back to my question. I would prefer not to have to buy a second very expensive gaming computer just for my golf sim set up in my garage and it’s also not really practical to move my desktop computer back and forth from my upstairs office (flight sim room) and my garage (golf sim room). It’s also not practical for me to do my flight sim in my garage. It’s not air conditioned and it also gets very dusty and dirty. So I would prefer not to keep a very expensive desktop computer in my garage where it would be exposed to 100 degree heat and lots of dust and dirt. My upstairs office is way too small to hit golf balls and I don’t have any other rooms in the house other than my garage that would be feasible for a golf sim set up.

I’m sure others have faced a similar situation. Would it be possible to somehow network my desktop computer so that the computer could be located in my upstairs office but where I could run FSX and other golf sim software to a projector mounted in my garage?

Do you guys have any other suggestions that would less expensive than buying a second gaming computer?

I have 2 iPad Pro’s, but i was under the impression that the PC version of FSX and the other golf sims are much better than the iPad version in terms of graphics and features. I don’t want to have to run a watered down version of FSX on an iPad.

I also have access to my daughters PC laptop, but it’s a very mid level system and definitely not powerful enough for graphics intensive gaming. I guess I could upgrade some components.

I also have a 2011 MacBook Pro with 1 TB SSD &16 GB of RAM. I think the processor and memory would be sufficient, but definitely not the graphics cards and I don’t even know if FSX is compatible with Mac.

So so what do you guys think?

Just to answer one of your questions, 1070 is mire than enough for running FSX at 4k resolution.

Comment

The main issue with running a sim in the garage using a computer located in another room is that you have to connect the inputs USB (mouse, keyboard, and GC2 (you can use Bluetooth but you’ll need a USB Bluetooth extender anyway given the distance)) and output HDMI. So depending on the actual wiring distance from your garage to the upstairs, it may be possible.

Comment

This system wont have any problems. Can you run a HDMI cord through attic to your projector in the garage from your computer in house. also maybe a long usb cord for keyboard and mouse. I have a gaming computer I use for sim and video games. I leave the computer in the garage for sim and run an HDMI cable through attic to my tv in den for video games. I'm close enough to garage that my game controller works in den via Bluetooth. I also have a very long usb cable run through attic to use a dedicated mouse in den.

Comment

I run a 1080ti, your 1070ti is more than capable and with multi monitor outputs for extending desktop
          Forget the MAC.
          Forget the mid range laptop.
          You need to extend your image from the 1070ti over HDMI or Ethernet. Presume directly into a projector or large tv.

A few control options, I use an iPad with air keyboard to control all my pc mouse/keyboard actions.
          I also use teamviewer to remotely view my pc from anywhere.

Use a ASUS BT400 Bluetooth extension into a USB extension cable from office, sending your gc2 data to pc or plug usb extension cable directly into gc2.
          Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by sherrow70 View Post
            This system wont have any problems. Can you run a HDMI cord through attic to your projector in the garage from your computer in house. also maybe a long usb cord for keyboard and mouse. I have a gaming computer I use for sim and video games. I leave the computer in the garage for sim and run an HDMI cable through attic to my tv in den for video games. I'm close enough to garage that my game controller works in den via Bluetooth. I also have a very long usb cable run through attic to use a dedicated mouse in den.

Thank you. I think I may be able to fish some cables from my upstairs office thru the attic and into my garage. There is an attic above my garage and I think the wall of the attic closest to the house is adjacent to the office. I just need to see if I can buy long enough cables.
            ​​

Originally posted by vrpunk View Post
            I run a 1080ti, your 1070ti is more than capable and with multi monitor outputs for extending desktop
            Forget the MAC.
            Forget the mid range laptop.
            You need to extend your image from the 1070ti over HDMI or Ethernet. Presume directly into a projector or large tv.

A few control options, I use an iPad with air keyboard to control all my pc mouse/keyboard actions.
            I also use teamviewer to remotely view my pc from anywhere.

Use a ASUS BT400 Bluetooth extension into a USB extension cable from office, sending your gc2 data to pc or plug usb extension cable directly into gc2.
            Good luck

Thank you. Can you explain a little more about how you use an iPad with air keyboard to control your PC mouse/keyboard actions? How do set this up?

I assume teamviewer is a remote PC application. How would this work with my computer in my office and a projector in my garage?

Thank you to everyone for all the advice.

Comment

Working...
            X