GC2 Ball Speed and Spin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GC2 Ball Speed and Spin

I suspect my GC2 is reading low ball speeds and high spin. Particularly noticeable with driver registering 5k+ spin and 140 ball speeds. At Roger Dunn I'll see 160 ball speed and 3k spin. No space issues where I'm swinging.

Is this something that the tilt calibration software can address? (I've experimented with changing the height of the GC2 with no results.) Any other advise for maximizing accuracy - i.e. cleaning cameras, etc.

Thanks.

I've seen cases where ball speed and launch angle were off and mostly faster (never saw backspin being off yet). So perhaps it can be that the Roger Dunn device is the one that's off due to its 1000x more usages than your device can ever do, not to mention I've heard cases box stores juice up GC2 numbers. Regardless, if you still want to diagnose yours sometimes you can remedy it by doing either or all:

1) Replace flash: flash might be getting out of its life
    2) Do the calibration: the calibration might be off
    3) Send it to Foresight for a thorough re-calibration: they use a specific method within their threshold to check for the accuracy. If it's off they will re-calibrate that.

If possible, make sure to compare with a top end device such as Trackman. Hope everything works out well for you.

Comment

You can try the tilt calibration if you have an older serial number unit (I don't know where the cutoff is).

The thing a lot don't seem to realize is everything is measured relative to the orientation of the GC2. The GC2 takes images of the ball after launch and their geometric orientations are assumed to be from a unit calibrated while perfectly level front to back and side to side.. Screw this up and the measurements/calculations are no longer valid.

Once calibrated the internal accelerometers adjust the measurements if the unit is not perfectly level. This is the only way you could ever use the unit outdoors as all ranges have some degree of tilt from flat to facilitate drainage.

One other thing. Be careful thinking your unit measurements are incorrect based on measurements from some other launch monitor whose accuracy is not known.

As to the flash unit, if the unit is not missing shots chances are the flash is fine.
      Last edited by Ronsc1985; 09-02-2019, 02:21 AM.

Comment

I'd verify roger dunn isn't juicing the gc2 numbers. Sstores do that. So read the value off the gc2 lcd screen. If that is blanked then activate audio readout on the gc2 and listen to the numbers.

140 vs 160 is a big difference. Do you have a swing radar to compare with? I have a yupiteru that measures ball and club speed. It reads 2% high on ball speed plenty close to tell you 140 vs 160. Comparing with trackman or gc2/quad even better.

if you do the tilt calibration you have to make sure the gc2 is level to a small fraction of a degree or you will mess up the gc2. Might be worth doing on used unit since you have no idea what the previous owner may or may not have done. If you are original owner I wouldn't think it is necessary. Not sure it works on all versions of gc2.

​​​A weak flash can cause issues with high ball speed but otherwise still work. Worth checking, buy one of Andy's flashes. Good to have a backup anyway.

Not really anything you can do to make gc2 work better. It is a very robust design and basically works or it doesn't. Tilt calibration and good flash is about all you can do.

Comment

How far do you hit the ball outdoors?

Comment

A lot of people experience issues with the GC2 that seem to go away. I always say to them, go outside and use it and see where the ball goes. Seems simple and it’s summer. If your GC2 says the driver flew 220 and it clearly landed past the 250 flag then your GC2 is busted. If it lands 30 yards short of the flag its not busted.
            My Courses:
            World Par 3's by mthunt
            Toronto GC (L) mthunt
            Burlington G&CC by mthunt
            Weston G&CC by mthunt
            London Hunt Club L mthunt
            Park CC Lidar mthunt
            Sunningdale GC Robinson L
            Sunningdale GC Thompson L
            Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
            Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
            The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
            The National GC L mthunt
            Mississaugua GC L mthunt
            Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
            Markland Woods CC mthunt
            Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
            Magna GC L mthunt
            Barrie CC L mthunt
            mthunt Range

Comment

• FaultyClubs
              FaultyClubs commented
              Editing a comment
              When i first got my GC2 it was short. And in TGC my shots just kept curving. I thought everything was busted. Turns out it wasn't. Lol.

Originally posted by mthunt View Post
            A lot of people experience issues with the GC2 that seem to go away. I always say to them, go outside and use it and see where the ball goes. Seems simple and it’s summer. If your GC2 says the driver flew 220 and it clearly landed past the 250 flag then your GC2 is busted. If it lands 30 yards short of the flag its not busted.
            Very good device mthunt.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. Will be testing on range soon before doing further troubleshooting. Driver carry outside is 265-270.

Comment

• Wizard of Coz
                Wizard of Coz commented
                Editing a comment
                265-270 carry is greater than 140 ball speed. Better get outside and check it.

In order to reach carry of 265-270, you must be living in 5000ft above sea level plus achieving the most absolute optimal data parameters (i.e. like 30 deg of launch and 1500rpm of spin mathematically which is near impossible with the current club). Most people at 140mph their maximum carry is around 230-235. Even LPGA carry avg at 140mph with 13deg and 2600rpm is at 220.

For outdoor, I highly recommend checking out your carry with Trackman, no point of using GC2 as carry gets inflated 10+yds if your spin is lower than 2500rpm.
              Last edited by LEO MODE; 09-03-2019, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X