GC2 low carry numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GC2 low carry numbers

This definitely isn't the first thread on this subject! However, my case is somewhat different. I bought my GC2 used in late 2016, built a sim in my garage for the winter and played a ton, then moved to a new house (one of the selling points of this house is an unfinished bonus room over the garage with vaulted 10.5 foot ceilings.)

I used the GC2 here and there, mostly just for early season warming up. Very little use comparatively, and sim use was almost non existent due to an issue that ended up getting resolved by replacing the laptop.

Fast forward to now- the room is nearing completion and I'm starting to put together my permanent setup. However, I'm having an issue with the GC2 reading very little carry. I'm fairly used to swinging indoors, and don't feel like my club head speed is slow. For what it's worth, I'm a high 20's handicap golfer, so I'm not super consistent, but the numbers I'm seeing don't really add up, and the longer the club, the worse the numbers. My sand wedge numbers are around 90 yards, which is fairly accurate, but for example I hit 30 7 iron shots this morning and the longest was 122 yards, with the majority being in the 100 ish yard range. I used to see 170 yards on the GC2 with that club, and while I've been working on slowing down my swing, I can't get anywhere near that number now.

It seems to be specifically related to lefties (like myself) as some fright handed friends came over the other night and were getting 150-160 yards with an eight iron, and they aren't acclimated to swinging indoors. Hell, I even took some of the first right handed swings of my life which is as awkward as you might imagine, and even then I was seeing around 90 yards with an 8 iron swinging with the wrong hand!

Any ideas? I accept that it is possible that it is all my swing, but I've played 5 rounds this year and my distances in reality are much different than on the GC2.

Appreciate any insight!

Thanks,

Bob

Post all the #’s, everything is a product of their algorithm which uses ball data. So it’s a combination of ball speed, launch and spin #’s. Once we see the #’s we can give you an idea of the issue

Comment

I would try a couple things...

First off, change the ball you're using. Secondly, set up a channel of alignment sticks with the ball in the middle so you can only hit the club on the sweet spot and then see what your numbers are. If that doesn't change anything, then maybe there is something wrong, but I'd bet that will take care of your issues.

Comment

Originally posted by cwinedds View Post
        Post all the #’s, everything is a product of their algorithm which uses ball data. So it’s a combination of ball speed, launch and spin #’s. Once we see the #’s we can give you an idea of the issue
        OK, so I have a metal protective case that obscures the numbers, so I'm going to try to give them with the hope that I'm giving accurate information. These are three shots with a Taylormade SIM 7 iron demo club after bringing the GC2 up onto my CCE mat to see if the level was causing the issue. Not sure if it was or not, but the numbers are a bit better, while still pretty anemic:

Ball speed: 45 M/S
        Launch angle: 15.8 degrees
        Side angle: 2.7 degrees R
        Side spin: 654L
        Backspin: 5195 (from what I can read)
        Carry: 134 yds

Launch angle: 16.0 degrees
        Side angle: 3.1 degrees R
        Side spin: 597L
        Backspin: 4990 (from what I can read)
        Carry: 136 yds

Launch angle: 16.3 degrees
        Side angle: 4.0 degrees R
        Side spin: 576L
        Backspin: 4562 (from what I can read)

Comment

Originally posted by Baller View Post
          I would try a couple things...

First off, change the ball you're using. Secondly, set up a channel of alignment sticks with the ball in the middle so you can only hit the club on the sweet spot and then see what your numbers are. If that doesn't change anything, then maybe there is something wrong, but I'd bet that will take care of your issues.
          OK I will.

Comment

Originally posted by bm11 View Post

OK, so I have a metal protective case that obscures the numbers, so I'm going to try to give them with the hope that I'm giving accurate information. These are three shots with a Taylormade SIM 7 iron demo club after bringing the GC2 up onto my CCE mat to see if the level was causing the issue. Not sure if it was or not, but the numbers are a bit better, while still pretty anemic:

Launch angle: 15.8 degrees
            Side angle: 2.7 degrees R
            Side spin: 654L
            Backspin: 5195 (from what I can read)
            Carry: 134 yds

Launch angle: 16.0 degrees
            Side angle: 3.1 degrees R
            Side spin: 597L
            Backspin: 4990 (from what I can read)

Launch angle: 16.3 degrees
            Side angle: 4.0 degrees R
            Side spin: 576L
            Backspin: 4562 (from what I can read)
            Numbers look right to me.
            My Courses:
            World Par 3's by mthunt
            Toronto GC (L) mthunt
            Burlington G&CC by mthunt
            Weston G&CC by mthunt
            London Hunt Club L mthunt
            Park CC Lidar mthunt
            Sunningdale GC Robinson L
            Sunningdale GC Thompson L
            Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
            Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
            The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
            The National GC L mthunt
            Mississaugua GC L mthunt
            Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
            Markland Woods CC mthunt
            Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
            Magna GC L mthunt
            Barrie CC L mthunt
            mthunt Range

Comment

Originally posted by mthunt View Post

Numbers look right to me.
              Just weak! Maybe I have a bit of a fat shot currently? CCE mats are notoriously unforgiving, so it could be that. Also- is it possible where my battery is completely dead (if you unplug the unit it immediately dies) that it is reading ball speed low?

Comment

• 3on3putt
                3on3putt commented
                Editing a comment
                It worked for the other people who hit on it, so my guess would be the battery is not the issue.

Just weak! Maybe I have a bit of a fat shot currently? CCE mats are notoriously unforgiving, so it could be that. Also- is it possible where my battery is completely dead (if you unplug the unit it immediately dies) that it is reading ball speed low?
              I suggest you take the thing to the range and hit balls to the flag 150m away and see what they GC2 when they ball lands 150.
              My Courses:
              World Par 3's by mthunt
              Toronto GC (L) mthunt
              Weston G&CC by mthunt
              Park CC Lidar mthunt
              The National GC L mthunt
              Mississaugua GC L mthunt
              Markland Woods CC mthunt
              Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
              Magna GC L mthunt
              Barrie CC L mthunt
              mthunt Range

Comment

Ball speed is low, I don’t think it’s the gc2, it doesn’t know what club you are hitting, so if your sand wedge is good but your 7 iron isn’t then more than likely your swing speed isnt high or you aren’t transferring the energy to the ball efficently. Your spin and launch #’s look good, I would work a little on the swing and like someone said maybe take it to the range and compare. Also, carry # is different than total.....the # on the gc2 is carry not total. I am also a lefty, when I was struggling with consistency with the swing and strike I could see 20-30 yards difference in my longer clubs.

Comment

I’d love to take it to the range, but the battery is completely dead, and my country club doesn’t take kindly to someone running a generator on the range. I’d buy a new one, but I haven’t talked to Foresight in three an a half years but back then they wouldn’t sell me anything unless I paid a $500 “registration” fee.

Does anyone know if the unit still functions correctly with the battery out of it? I will send it out to get rebuilt if so.

Comment

I believe if you do some research on this forum you can find people that can give you advice on a third party that can replace the battery on a gc2

Comment

I’d love to take it to the range, but the battery is completely dead, and my country club doesn’t take kindly to someone running a generator on the range. I’d buy a new one, but I haven’t talked to Foresight in three an a half years but back then they wouldn’t sell me anything unless I paid a $500 “registration” fee.

Does anyone know if the unit still functions correctly with the battery out of it? I will send it out to get rebuilt if so.
                      Take the battery to one of those battery repair places. They can make you a new one in no time
                      My Courses:
                      World Par 3's by mthunt
                      Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                      Weston G&CC by mthunt
                      Park CC Lidar mthunt
                      The National GC L mthunt
                      Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                      Markland Woods CC mthunt
                      Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                      Magna GC L mthunt
                      Barrie CC L mthunt
                      mthunt Range

Comment

Go here, https://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/, plug in your launch numbers and see what the result should be. I think you'll find the GC2 is computing correctly for the launch parameters you posted.

Comment

As is the conclusion with all of these threads, I’m pretty sure the net result is “it isn’t the GC2, it’s me.” I started working on more hip turn yesterday and started feeling a lot more flex in the shaft, and also started seeing both the ball speed increase and the carry distance increase.

Thanks guys!

-Bob

Comment

• AdamV
                            AdamV commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I actually think good rotation is the number one cause of indoor swing syndrome. People just don’t clear the lower body and wonder why they’ve lost 20 yards.

Been working on it more, have been seeing carry numbers on well struck 7 irons in the 155 range now, ball speeds as high as 50 m/s.

Comment

Working...
                          X