Foresight Forecaddie review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foresight Forecaddie review

My intention was to update my original thread, but I can't change the title. I know some people were interested in following this, so I am making a separate post. I received my Forecaddie Friday, and have golfed with it twice now. Pros and cons:

Pros-
    1- The follow feature is awesome. Walking around the course without pushing or carrying is liberating, and I feel much more fresh in the later holes. My course goes from the low elevation of the course on the 8th tee box to the high elevation point on the 9th (a 520 yard par 5) and normally that is where I would start to feel fatigued. So nice to just walk up the fairway and have my cart follow me. It seems to track the remote pretty accurately, and corrects well based on elevation changes etc.

2- The battery life is really good, at least without something else to compare it to. I played both rounds and the indicator showed I still had close to half battery left. I would have tried a third, but the bag room was closed at my club so I had to bring it home and figured I might as well charge it. I'll try it next time.

3- The battery comes out really easy and goes in really easy. No buttons to press and my bag doesn't need to be removed. Makes it easy to take home and charge and leave the cart at the club.

4- It doesn't look like its trying to be some space robot.

5- Coming with a phone holder/wireless charger is a nice plus.

6- Less of a feature for me because I store my clubs, but it sets up/breaks down super quick and easy.

Cons-
    1- The remote control mode utilizing the joystick is bad. Like "unusable" bad. I really hope they make major improvements to it in a firmware update, because I had visions of grabbing my putter, walking to the green, and driving the cart ahead to where I'd walk off the green with the joystick. Currently, this is basically impossible.

2- The power assist mode is only "OK." Because of the fact that the speed never seems perfect, and the fact that it always seems to default to either a higher speed or lower speed than the last use, it requires a lot of fiddling. Around the green and in tight quarters, it is a must to control it this way, and I think that it is a worse experience/more effort than my push cart in those cases.

3- The two molded sections of the handholds (upper and lower) feel like they are starting to come apart already. I hope that it is either a defect that ends up covered under warranty, or just inherent in the design. Preferable the former, as it cheapens the experience.

Overall I feel that it is a great product and I'm happy with the purchase!

-Bob

I'm happy with mine as well. For the speed in PA mode, it uses the last used speed, fyi and it's just a quick click to change it, I didn't see that as a problem. I agree about the remote use. Sucked but I didn't really need to use it.

i didn't really need the cart to do what it does. I like to walk and carry, so wasn't sure how I'd feel, but it was liberating to have this thing with me and boy was I quick with it!

Comment

Nice, got a video of this thing? Sounds like it would be useful, and also very expensive?

Comment

Originally posted by Brettster View Post
        Nice, got a video of this thing? Sounds like it would be useful, and also very expensive?
        No video, but there are a ton of short clips on their website https://www.foresightsports.com/forecaddy

On sale for $1999.

Also, quick update- I golfed another three rounds using it (5 total now.) It definitely won't go 3 rounds on a battery. The battery indicator isn't linear, it dropped fastest on the third round where it died on the 14th hole. It should be noted that the second round on it was a "before work" round where I played 13 total holes. So, 44 holes on one charge. A decent enough reserve to not have to worry about playing 36 holes in a day, but not so much that you'd want to go further than that.

Comment

2 questions if you don't mind. 1) How long did it take to arrive after you ordered? 2) How do you think this compares to other electric carts? I was considering the MGI Quad Navigator.

Comment

Originally posted by vadawg View Post
            2 questions if you don't mind. 1) How long did it take to arrive after you ordered? 2) How do you think this compares to other electric carts? I was considering the MGI Quad Navigator.
            1- I agreed Monday, the shipment arrived at Foresight Wednesday, and I had it Friday. That said, it was part of a "guaranteed by Fathers day promotion" so your mileage may vary. The 2 day shipping wasn't free either.

2- This is the first I've owned. Other guys at the club have other carts, I'll say that this one looks much more like a "normal" push cart, and I think the battery comes out easier and lasts longer. I have no personal experience to back that up, however.

Comment

Any updates from current owners? I had been waiting on an X9 Follow but this is interesting I think given the delays at Stewart Golf. I have read that there was a firmware update for the issues with the remote mode - any comments?

Comment

Originally posted by jasonreg View Post
                Any updates from current owners? I had been waiting on an X9 Follow but this is interesting I think given the delays at Stewart Golf. I have read that there was a firmware update for the issues with the remote mode - any comments?
                I’ve had an X9 Follow for nearly 3 years now. Prior to that I had a Stewart Golf F1, and before that an X5 and an X3.
                Before that was a Powercaddy Robocaddy, and before that was a Powercaddy Freeway.

The X9 is by far the best trolley I’ve ever owned. I’m in Scotland, and play all year round. Being able to put my hands in my pocket in freezing conditions whilst the trolley follows me is invaluable! I suffer from Raynaud’s syndrome (cold hands!), so I can put hand warmers in my pockets to keep them warm.
                My course has huge hills and sloped fairways, and the trolley follows me without any issue. It’s really stable. Battery is capable of 36 holes, however I charge after every round.

Apart from a few teething issues on my F1, I’ve never had any issues with my Stewart Golf trolleys... and will continue to buy them as newer models come out.
                Premium price tag, but a premium product.
                Last edited by p3eps; 08-04-2020, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I updated the firmware a couple weeks ago and 11 holes later the left motor glitched out. I had to push it through the rest of the round and ship it back. Their service has been good, they ended up deciding to replace it. I hope to see the replacement soon.

Otherwise, I’ll say that for the 15 or so rounds I used it, that there is no going back. It is an absolute game changer to walk and not have to push a cart or even manage a remote in most cases. The new firmware update is nice, the remote mode is much more usable now and the follow mode is supposed to be tighter as well.

Comment

• Echinn718
                    Echinn718 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Purchased the ForeCaddy this summer after using several Kolnex units for the past fifteen years. Wanted a follow unit and knew about the Stewart X9 only to find out that it was on back order. MotoGolf pointed me to the ForeCaddy which seemed ideal. Very easy to assemble and worked well in the follow mode, not so well with the remote until the firmware V.6 update. Really enjoyed the looks, speed and easy foldability. Using it three times per week and then the left motor quit on the 12th hole middle of October. Having to push it the rest of the round wasn't much of a hardship (the wheels are loose) but the handle separated a bit. Foresight sent a label for return. They received the unit back on October 22nd and this morning received an email that repairs were made under warranty and would be shipped back. So far, the customer service at Foresight has been excellent and I would endorse the ForeCaddy 100% if it continues trouble free. The return invoice shows an update to V.8. I hope this addresses the distance that the remote will operate from. (It was only about 10 yards). Had to go back to the Kolnex in the interim, and it seems like a turtle to the ForeCaddy hare

• Baller
                    Baller commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting...my left motor died a few weeks ago as well and they have mine for repair and haven't heard back yet.

I like the idea of this, but obviously comes with the Foresight price points. I have also been following the Alphard eWheels V2, which hopefully lands in the US soon.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/e...-smart-caddy#/

Comment

bm11 - how long did it take to get your replacement? Any changes noticed? Also, can you please expand on the issue you mentioned in the original post regarding the handles? Many thanks - Jason

Comment

bm11 - how long did it take to get your replacement? Any changes noticed? Also, can you please expand on the issue you mentioned in the original post regarding the handles? Many thanks - Jason
                      I shipped it back to them Monday, 7/20, and received my replacement Monday, 8/10. So three weeks, door to door. No real changes, it should be noted that it does seem to glitch out an average of once per 18 holes where it just stops responding to the remote and needs to be rebooted.

The handles just felt like they had a lot of unintended flex in them, like they weren't strong enough for the intended purpose. If you've used a push cart for any length of time, you'll know that there are times in your round where your path back to the cart path means you need to support the cart going over a curb, and these just don't feel like they are going to hold up. They seem to be two pieces of molded plastic, upper and lower, and you can feel the seam gap change in your hand if you are using them to handle the cart.

Comment

• Duffer41
                        Duffer41 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The left handle broke off on mine today. I too was concerned about the strength of the handles and it seems they under engineered this key part of the cart. I emailed my Foresight rep on it and hopefully they will take care of me on it.

• Baller
                        Baller commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, the "new" handle seems to be better. Mine broke a while back.

Hmm, still solidly on the fence. What kind of glitches do you see? Does it just stop responding? Do you feel this will be fixed via software/firmware or will you have to live with it. Seems pretty inconvenient to have to reboot the thing every round ......

Comment

Hmm, still solidly on the fence. What kind of glitches do you see? Does it just stop responding? Do you feel this will be fixed via software/firmware or will you have to live with it. Seems pretty inconvenient to have to reboot the thing every round ......
                        Yeah it just seems to stop recognizing the remote. A reboot will fix it. This isn't every round, but it's close to once per round. It takes like 3 seconds to do, but still, its a pain. I'm hoping they fix it going forward.

Comment

Knowing what you know now, would you pull the trigger if you did not already own one?

Comment

Working...
                          X