GCQuad - Long distance connection to PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCQuad - Long distance connection to PC

Heyo, I was sent here from golfWRX because apparently you wizards have all the answers

I need some help understanding how the quad can connect to a PC.

I do not have a quad in hand yet but here is a run-down of what my setup would look like at the moment.

Simulator set up in my Garage.

Gaming PC is located in my office across the house.

Using remote desktop on a laptop in my garage to control my Gaming PC in my office.

so all of that is clear in my head and i have tested that it will work... but how do i connect the quad to my gaming PC across the house?

The PC is a tower and does not have a wifi card installed.

I could buy a wifi card for my tower but i am doubtful that the signal broadcast from the quad would even reach my office...

Is there a way to connect the quad over wifi to a fixed wired point on the local network?

There's a few options. The two best ones involve having a wired connection installed - either between the desktop and laptop, between the laptop and router - or cutting out the middleman and having wired HDMI output and USB connections directly to the office computer and using a wireless USB keyboard and mouse in the garage to control the PC directly. A MESH wireless access point in the garage that has a wired connection to the router would probably also work.

I haven't used a virtual desktop to display 1080p or 4K graphics while running a game so I'm unsure how much latency you'd experience on the laptop, but I'd imagine you'd want wired connections to the router from the office PC as well, just to maximize bandwidth and minimize interference.

Comment

• magnets
      magnets commented
      Editing a comment
      getting the PC to the Projector is not the issue. I need to get the Quad connected to the PC. That is where i am looking for clarity. Not sure if a cable run is in the cards because it is a long distance. My hope: there is some way that on a local network the PC and the Quad can talk to each other. they can both access my home internet.

Originally posted by magnets View Post
    Heyo, I was sent here from golfWRX because apparently you wizards have all the answers

I need some help understanding how the quad can connect to a PC.

I do not have a quad in hand yet but here is a run-down of what my setup would look like at the moment.

Simulator set up in my Garage.

Gaming PC is located in my office across the house.

Using remote desktop on a laptop in my garage to control my Gaming PC in my office.

so all of that is clear in my head and i have tested that it will work... but how do i connect the quad to my gaming PC across the house?

The PC is a tower and does not have a wifi card installed.

I could buy a wifi card for my tower but i am doubtful that the signal broadcast from the quad would even reach my office...

Is there a way to connect the quad over wifi to a fixed wired point on the local network?
    Boost/Extend the Wifi Signal from the Quad with a Wifi booster/extender and connectd it to your tower buy installing a usb wifi adapter on the tower.

I haven't tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Comment

I'd use ethernet if you can.

Comment

Look into powerline adapters: https://www.techradar.com/news/the-b...rline-adaptors

WiFi is unstable and while you won't necessarily get gigabit speeds with the powerline adapters, they work pretty good. If you want gigabit speeds and have coax in both locations, you could look into moca adapters for gigabit speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by intrinsic View Post
          Look into powerline adapters: https://www.techradar.com/news/the-b...rline-adaptors

WiFi is unstable and while you won't necessarily get gigabit speeds with the powerline adapters, they work pretty good. If you want gigabit speeds and have coax in both locations, you could look into moca adapters for gigabit speeds.
          Have you used Powerline successfully? I thought about it but wasn’t sure if it would work for this since it is designed to transmit internet specifically.

Comment

• intrinsic
            intrinsic commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, I have. Works for my PC internet quite well. Though, I can't speak for GCQuad to PC connection. I suppose I've always plugged in my GCQ direct to PC so YMMV.

You should be able to have the desktop on ethernet and Quad and remote desktop machine on either Powerline or wifi. Everything just needs to be on same network. if you have trouble getting the wifi signal to the garage and powerline won't work and extending the ethernet to the garage is impractical, you could either use a wifi extender/repeater or a mesh router setup (in place of standard single router wifi) and that should work. Failing that, you could move to more of a small business / McMansion setup with Ubiquity/Unify but you probably would need a tech to set it up properly unless you are pretty savvy with this stuff..

Comment

• magnets
            magnets commented
            Editing a comment
            The WiFi reaches the garage but I was made to believe that the quad needs a dedicated connection to the PC. Is there a way for the quad and my PC to just talk on the local network?

Update: My BLP just works!

Got it today and it talks to my PC on the local network no problem. Just showed up immediately when i installed the FSX subscription software.

Only thing i had to kinda jerry-rig was connecting my BLP to my WiFi network. The antennae in the BLP is hot garbage(expected) so I took an old router and set it up in bridge mode and hard wired the BLP to that router.

Works like a charm!

thanks for the suggestions all!

Comment

Working...
          X