Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Todd Morgan (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2020 FALL TOUR - The RSM Classic !

Join this weeks TGC1 2020 FALL TOUR - Mayakoba Golf Classic. We are playing 2 rounds at Quarry Ridge Protee Pin 1: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...a-golf-classic
See more
See less

FSGS vs Trackman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSGS vs Trackman

Hey!

im wondering- is there anyone who knows the differences between the two? I have access to both, and I’ve noticed on Full Swing that my irons go a bit shorter than Trackman. (About 7-10 yards). Is that a ”known” phenomena? Driver, swingspeed is pretty much the same.
    and also full swing is a bit more forgiving on hooks/slices reading them more like pulls and pushes.
    Do you agree on these statements? Or what would you say is the differences between the two of them?

A few top players have FSGS. The only thing I can think of for difference is to ensure that temp and elevation are the same when doing your comparisons and also when on TM indoor, make sure you use metallic sticker on the ball.

Comment

KrisTheShanker, I would be very interested in your opinions of playing the Full Swing Golf units. I am currently deciding between an FSG Pro Series and Trackman. I have been leaning toward the FSG system for their overall accuracy (hi-speed cameras and infrared), instant ball flight, putting experience, and new course relationships with the PGA Tour and Nicklaus Design in 2020. Of course, Trackman is coming on quickly in the indoor simulator market and would likely not be a bad choice either, but I have not played them both like you. Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

• dterry
        dterry commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Dax, I'm actually just in the middle of a new house build right now where I have designed a separate room for the simulator. All still pretty raw build out right now as the house is coming up. My builder's AV guy has recommended FSG from some prior builds and we have a full set of design plans from FSG for the install, but I have been closely monitoring Trackman's advances this year as well. At this stage, I kind of have to just research as much as I can, close my eyes and make a selection to have one of them spec and build the room.

• Brettster
        Brettster commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow Dax , I had no idea TM would send out demo units, thanks for the tip... my limitation will be space though, what is the minimum required space screen to back wall I can get away with, with a Trackman unit? I have plans to add an extension onto my shed after finding out a basement dig would run me $14,600!

• Dax
        Dax commented
        Editing a comment
        @ brettster I think behind the screen you want a foot, but this is not a TM limitation just what everyone recommends. I had mine down to 8 inches at one point, but in my recent rebuild I went with about a foot. This allows me to put some small speakers behind the screen and gives me a little room back there to do things if needed. Take off about another 8 inches from back wall to front of TM and the rest is what you will need for the radar to work. Min distances at the moment are 17 feet, but I suggest adding two more feet to these numbers.

There is no doubt in my mind which unit to buy. It is Trackman always. The whole golf experience is so much better, and much more accurate in my opinion. And the graphics is way better on Trackman with virtual golf 2 software.
      And I have even played without the metallic dot on the ball, still accurate results. Consistent. Just like outdoors.

On full swing my 7 iron sometimes (with a good strike) fly 150yrds, sometimes 180 (!?). And sometimes it gets this wierd super-hook-mis read with low Irons. And I just don’t understand why.
      On trackman this doesn’t happen. You can trust your club selection, and hit away.

And it shows on the score which unit is more like outdoor play.

On Full Swing I’m usually around Par. And on Trackman I’m where I’m supposed to be. Mid 80s.

Go for Trackman.

Comment

• Brettster
        Brettster commented
        Editing a comment
        Kris The Shanker -
        On Full Swing I’m usually around Par. And on Trackman I’m where I’m supposed to be. Mid 80s.
        Wow! That must be about the biggest difference between 2 launch monitors in scoring I've ever heard of, but that's saying something for sure! Do you own both systems?

One more consideration is that TM might be coming out with a new unit next year. Might be worth the wait. One thing you could do in the interim is to speak with their reps and see what they might propose in terms of plans Etc. Some of their builds have been amazing.

please don’t get me wrong, there is very little wrong with my TM4, but what ever comes next will likely be a big step forward and I suspect may really focus on the indoor market.

Comment

• Brettster
        Brettster commented
        Editing a comment
        Dax - I've been watching the Trackman website, and saw a few posts about new things, but what exactly are in the works for next year? I also would like to see them make their Designer available for home users, as it's obviously something they can use internally when they will sell you a course that they design, not sure the price?

That would really make Trackman appealing if we could design our own courses to play like we can with TGC.

• dterry
        dterry commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Dax – you are making this tough. Great info! Currently, from everything that I have understood from research, most *opinions* seem to indicate that camera-based technology was still superior to radar technology when focused only on indoor simulation use (depth of measurement, etc.). In particular, the FSG units combining camera-based tech also with 2 infrared light wave measurements would ‘seem’ to be more capable than radar in this specific indoor setting. And particularly for putting as I understand from some.

I believe I have enough room at 22’x16’, but was still thinking that the FSG camera-based tech might be the better way to go. I have seen a few good Trackman simulator setups on YouTube also though and will DEFINITITELY see if I can research more on any nextgen tech coming from Trackman for indoor use. That is a great point. If you have a moment, let me know if you experience any indoor limitations or putting issues. Thanks for your time.

• Dax
        Dax commented
        Editing a comment
        I suspect they will not open up their design tool, but there course development and release has been fantastic! A little sad to see the extra charge for the Pebble collection, but hope this can change in the future. Likely nothing they could do about this and likely what Pebble decided to charge them. I just wish It was a one time fee of say $300, but it is what it is.

In terms of what might be next, I suspect it will be an additional camera somehow worked into everything plus a ball with metal built into it somehow to allow TM to take advantage of their patent that came up this last April.

Perhaps have a look at the comments on @leomodes blog in respect of his discussions with TM at the PGA show last year.

For indoor testing and how TM is indoors, suggest reading @leomodes other tests comparing TM to the top camera based systems to see how it performs.

dterry
      am currently deciding between an FSG Pro Series and Trackman. I have been leaning toward the FSG system for their overall accuracy (hi-speed cameras and infrared), instant ball flight, putting experience, and new course relationships with the PGA Tour and Nicklaus Design in 2020.
      Impressive, can we see videos of some of these new items, or are they on their website? Have they already come out - and what exactly do they mean? 'putting experience'? And new relationship with Nicklaus Design - which I thought the old Nicklaus Designer was bought up by Trackman for use with their software and would no longer be available?

One last thing, I always thought FSG is a bit higher priced than others, am I right on that? What does a used FSG unit run, and maybe it's not even worth looking if all these new updates require a brand new version of their launch monitor?

Comment

i just received this email today ...not sure if this is the FSG you are talking about or something new

Attached Files

Comment

• dterry
        dterry commented
        Editing a comment
        That's excellent ulmaniac. No, I was not aware of any specific updates or announcements yet -- thanks for sharing. I was just sharing above a few of the announcements and videos that they had been posting this year. Seemed very active. Please pass along anything else you receive on 11/30 if it is not seen directly on the website. I'll make a note to look. Thanks.

Well Brettster. That was not the point.

There’s a reason why I play on Par on FSG. That reason is that it’s way more forgiving. Not reading as correctly as TM and you’ll get away with errors. I struggle with a slice outdoors. I know it. On Trackman there’s is a slice. But on FSG it shows as a slight push. And even though your in the woods on FSG, just hit it as hard as you can and it will go through the woods and onto the green (sure it’s software on this one). Strong grip (pull), hit it low, and you’ll fly the thing like Bryson on FSG. Not the same story on TM.

Trackman is a more reliable unit for realistic golf.
      That’s for sure. No question about it.

No I don’t own both. But I play on both a lot. FSG is OK. It works. But TM is a lot more realistic and consistent. And for the price tag? I’d go for Trackman any day.

Before I only played on FSG. I thought it was good. Some funny reads once in awhile. And I hit the ball too far vs outdoors. And inconsistent distances. I cannot count how many times we have said “what !! I don’t hit it that far?” When you fly the ball 40yrd pass the green.

Then I tried Trackman. I have access to both unlimited.
      Different world. The numbers always add up. There is also an average difference in swing speed.

This is my experience and it was asked for. I am not a pro, knowing anything about tech, specifics, and I’m not a very good golfer (10hcp).. And I’m sorry if I’m offending FSG owners
      Last edited by KrisTheShanker; 11-25-2020, 01:43 AM.

Comment

• dterry
        dterry commented
        Editing a comment
        Very interesting feedback KrisTheShanker. I had not heard these complaints of FSG before. I wonder if it is something specific to the FSG version or setup that you are playing. My understanding was that, if anything, it would almost be the reverse of what you are experiencing due to the differences between camera-based and radar technology in confined indoor environments. I’ll definitely want to look into this.

dterry Yes you should try both and see for yourself.
      Both setups are professional.
      And I really didn’t have a lot of complaints until I tried them both. (Well I didn’t trust the numbers always but I was fine with it. Better than nothing I thought. Didn’t buy it so what could I really complain about).

And for sure you would have a lot of fun with FSG. But for the price tag. It would be Trackman. Haven’t actually experienced anything funky at all. Except for my shots. They can be funky
      Last edited by KrisTheShanker; 11-25-2020, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X