Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Joe_S (NET) and @Joe_S (GROSS) winning the TGC1 2021 WINTER TOUR - ATT Pebble Beach Pro-Am !

Join this weeks TGC1 2021 WINTERTOUR - The Genesis Open playing 2 rounds at Oakmont Country Club (ProTee Green) - 6836y: https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...e-genesis-open
See more
See less

Widescreen touchscreen despite 4:3 hitting screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widescreen touchscreen despite 4:3 hitting screen

How does the widescreen version of the touchscreen work together with a 4:3 hitting screen? Does the 4:3 image simply get stretched wider on the touchscreen? How strange does this look? I guess they don't make a 4:3 touchscreen anymore.

The projector is a separate display, so you can set it at whatever aspect ratio you want to. The touchscreen will render at the desired resolution, and aspect ratio 16:9...the projector will squeeze that image if you set it to 4:3. I actually changed from a 4:3 aspect ratio on the projector to a 16:9, and I just have a foot and a half of blank space at the top of the screen. The picture is just way more clear for me this way. I also hooked up another TV with an HDMI splitter so that I can look forward at the wall, or look at the screen to see my shots - all 3 displays are 16:9.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	1600x1200.JPG Views:	0 Size:	31.7 KB ID:	324375 I thought that I could get native 1600x1200 on the projector with a 4:3 screen (with a Panasonic VMZ60 -- will that not work? My screen isn't big enough to give up a lot of real estate on top.

Related question: Assuming the new projector will do 1600x1200 do I need to upgrade the HDMI 1.1 (?) cable I installed for the old projector in 2009?
      Last edited by MNW; 03-15-2021, 03:39 AM.

Comment

4:3 will totally work...it will just pinch the widescreen image. It doesn't crop it, it squeezes it. It will look normal on the touchscreen, and a little squeezed on the projector. No idea on the HDMI cable...my guess is the one you have should handle it...not a ton of info being sent at 1600:1200.

Comment

I think 4:3 ratio is ideal for golf hitting screen. I have a 1:1 hitting screen and 16:9 TV/Monitor and it can be set up easily. My projector crops too much of the image with 1:1. I am thinking about changing to a 4:3 set up with my 9x9 screen and make it into a 9x6.75.

Comment

• 3on3putt
            3on3putt commented
            Editing a comment
            That's exactly the setup I have. 9x6.75 on a 9x9 screen. I really don't even notice the blank space anymore. If I had space for a bigger screen I would go 12x9 but the current setup is the best option for the space.

For what it's worth, they've completed my upgrade. The hitting screen resolution is 1600:1200 (with a new HDMI cable) in a 4:3 aspect ratio. The touchscreen is stretched (widened) to 16:9 but it doesn't look too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by MNW View Post
            For what it's worth, they've completed my upgrade. The hitting screen resolution is 1600:1200 (with a new HDMI cable) in a 4:3 aspect ratio. The touchscreen is stretched (widened) to 16:9 but it doesn't look too bad.
            Why do you need to duplicate the screens? For me, my second screen is for Youtube, music or a web browser. The two screens don't have to have the same aspect ratio. The hitting screen is 1:1 and the second screen is 16:9 with no stretching.

Comment

Originally posted by khalespace View Post

Why do you need to duplicate the screens? For me, my second screen is for Youtube, music or a web browser. The two screens don't have to have the same aspect ratio. The hitting screen is 1:1 and the second screen is 16:9 with no stretching.
              I use the touchscreen to change the direction of each shot, request mulligans (often!), call up replays, show a flyover of the hole, etc. Interesting idea to use it for something different, but in my case it would make the game tougher to play if I didn't have those controls.

Comment

Working...
              X