Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Joe_S (NET & GROSS) winning the TGC1 2020 SUMMER TOUR - Scotish Open!

Join this weeks TGC1 2020 SUMMER TOUR - Ireland Invitational with 2 rounds at Le Golf National (Protee): https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...d-invitational
See more
See less

Hacking the clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacking the clip

Hi

Received the R-motion a few days ago and so far it's working pretty well. Yes there are a few frustrations, but I'm sure I'll figure things out eventually!

Unfortunately, the cheapskate I am only opted for one clip. I've since had a look at some of the suggestions on the forum and tested out the poster putty option. Initially I did it with the addition of a rubber band, which I felt added a lot more "security". After a while, once I was confident the putty was doing its thing, I got rid of the rubber band. But there's still something in the back of my mind that makes me feel like it could fly off into the neighbors garden at any stage! I'm sure over time I'll feel a bit more relaxed about it.

In the meantime, I've been playing around with casting silicone, thinking that if I could re-create a mould that could house the tracker, I could then do multiple moulds on each club.

So here's what I've done so far:
    1. Moulded a plastic version of the tracker (google instamorph) (got the shape within a mm or two, but erred one the side of smaller, so that there would be a snug fit).
    2. Suspended the plastic tracker in a shooter glass (couldn't think of anything else)
    3. Poured casting silicone into the glass and wait for it to set.
    4. Removed the silicone and cut away the section where the shaft would be.
    5. Cut a groove for the strap (velcro)

The end result is quite hideous, but it handles a few swings, although it does rotate on the shaft, due to the poor cutting. The one positive is that the tracker fits nicely and wont come flying out - keeping the silicone shooter on the shaft is a whole other story!

Going to try another version, this time moulding a plastic version of the shaft to put in the shooter glass before casting - hoping that will result in a more snug fit.

Anyone else got any other ideas - tried something similar? (It might not be worth all the effort, since the putty works so well, but I'm too stubborn to give up now, haha!)

Cheers
    GM

Maybe try CAD designing some new type of clip and 3D-print it?

Comment

I haven't kept up with this...but I know my first purchase came with a certain style clip...one broke they sent me two replacements (these were different a bit) Later they had a survey deal where if we gave them feedback they'd send us more clips....these last ones were quite different....I think the best of all of them so far. If you just purchased and it wasn't sitting on the shelf for a year or more...hopefully you got the new ones.

Does yours have a bolt like connection or two straps that screw together with a NUT like device?

PS: That must change your swing weight considerably....and since it's not right on the shaft (or pretty close) it may even change the results a bit. Not sure. I love to tinker too! Check some other threads I know way back there were quite a few of them.

Comment

Okay, this is my attempt at hacking the clips for less than $5 - works pretty good:

1. Purchased a Clip On Putter Clamp for $2. This makes it quick and easy to slide your sensor onto any club - and it fits my clubs perfectly around the grip where the sensor is supposed to go. Purchased from here: https://www.wish.com/product/5af2664ce92e9b2c157ba41b.

2. Purchased a very small Plastic Clear Transparent Pill Case to house the sensor in and help ensure it stays straight and stable - cost $1. Purchased from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32948594489.html (Product properties: 3.5x3.5x1.2CM... slightly smaller would be better but could not find perfect size.)

3. Cut down the plastic case to size, and enclosed sensor into sponge casing that it came with - see picture. This step to stop the sensor from moving, keep it straight, and protect it. Then I crudely taped the case together (as keeping the lid made it too high / bulky).

4. Insert the plastic case/sensor into the Clip section of the Putter Clamp - see pics. It's a tight fit - but that's what you need to ensure it stays in place.

That's it! Works a charm. Clips on to any club in my bag in seconds so great for playing TGC courses where you swap clubs every shot. At the end of my round I simply take out/untape for sensor recharging. Easy!

You're welcome :-)

Comment

Originally posted by StormGolf73 View Post
          I haven't kept up with this...but I know my first purchase came with a certain style clip...one broke they sent me two replacements (these were different a bit) Later they had a survey deal where if we gave them feedback they'd send us more clips....these last ones were quite different....I think the best of all of them so far. If you just purchased and it wasn't sitting on the shelf for a year or more...hopefully you got the new ones.

Does yours have a bolt like connection or two straps that screw together with a NUT like device?

PS: That must change your swing weight considerably....and since it's not right on the shaft (or pretty close) it may even change the results a bit. Not sure. I love to tinker too! Check some other threads I know way back there were quite a few of them.
          Which connection would you say is the 'latest' design? The bolt connection or the two straps that screw together?

I have the connection with two straps but imo the bolt connection seems like it would work better. I could be very wrong though.

Comment

Throw the clips away. Use a pea-sized piece of poster tack to stick the sensor to the shaft. Works perfectly!

Comment

Has anyone tried these, I'm thinking of buying a set, looks great and reviews say they work great. I'd rather use a clip than some putty but don't want to pay $100 for 13 more. Mine only came with one clip.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rapsodo-R-M...4AAOSwm8ZdOQQM

Comment

• willy0508
                willy0508 commented
                Editing a comment
                I wish i could get their support to respond. I received on clip with my purchase and i think it's defective, can't even get the sensor all the way into it. and it's extremely hard to get it out if i force it half way down. I contacted support and on Feb 5 they said they would send me a new clip. So far nothing and no responses to any enails I've sent since. If i order them i'll let you know how they work.

• Jb50
                Jb50 commented
                Editing a comment
                Use your coupon to get $5.00 off!
                Code: YUS2NUZMF2JNTHQM. Ends Feb 22, 2020. T&Cs apply.*

They sent this $5 coupon to me for Ebay. Not sure if anyone can use it or if it's just for me but you're welcome to give it a try if you decide to order.

• Marc
                Marc commented
                Editing a comment
                No don't go for it or if you want ... I will sell you mine very cheap ... Some broke, hard to push sensor in and the sensor flew off a couple of time .. Originality I thought they were machine shop (aluminium) .. But was looking at the clip just below this post that could work better then those that you re looking at ..

The clip that came with my R-Motion (new style clip) broke after 30 swings...

I've designed and refined a clip that attaches securely to the club and uses a rubber band to hold the unit in place to allow quick transfer between clubs. Happy to share the STL file for anyone that wants to print with 3D printer

Comment

• Marc
                Marc commented
                Editing a comment
                Would show more pics and you re sensor is 90 degrees instead of being flat and still works ??

• hydrannt
                hydrannt commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Marc,

The sensor is held in the vertical position, just like it is supposed to be. Rather than deal with machining a tiny ridge to hold the sensor in place, i made the holder 0.1mm larger than the unit. Elastic band holds it into place perfectly. I used some rubber on the back side to provide more grip to the shaft and then attached with a zip tie. Played 18 holes this morning with no issue and am printing more now. Will post TinkerCad photos and am happy to share STL for anyone that has a 3D printer
                Last edited by hydrannt; 03-29-2020, 11:17 PM.

• jason25
                jason25 commented
                Editing a comment
                hydrannt - which native CAD do you use? I designed some in Inventor that work pretty well for me and wouldn't mind sending the file to you to try out. I designed in so I can quickly adjust the shaft diameter as well as emboss the club the clip is for on the side

Hey guys,
              I just ordered a set of 13 clips for the R-Motion to Germany via ebay. They were built with a 3D printer.

This guy is sitting in Hampton, Georgia. So this should be a good and cheap solution for you all sitting in the US, isn't it?!

I attached a photo of the clips. The user's Ebay name is dt3303.

Marc

Comment

• KiloGolf
                KiloGolf commented
                Editing a comment
                They work great!

Originally posted by Clevinho View Post
              Hey guys,
              I just ordered a set of 13 clips for the R-Motion to Germany via ebay. They were built with a 3D printer.

This guy is sitting in Hampton, Georgia. So this should be a good and cheap solution for you all sitting in the US, isn't it?!

I attached a photo of the clips. The user's Ebay name is dt3303.

Marc
              I just got this simulator and have ordered 13 clips from the eBay seller. Note the "Make Offer" button, the seller accepted my $25 offer.

I also purchased the "poster tack" putty mentioned in this and other threads on this forum, will try both the putty and the clips and report my results.

Comment

• KiloGolf
                KiloGolf commented
                Editing a comment
                I did the same exact thing and they work great! I actually saved the clips that came with the unit for guests to use.

Originally posted by hydrannt View Post
              The clip that came with my R-Motion (new style clip) broke after 30 swings...

I've designed and refined a clip that attaches securely to the club and uses a rubber band to hold the unit in place to allow quick transfer between clubs. Happy to share the STL file for anyone that wants to print with 3D printer
              Here are some of the CAD drawings of my design.... I think the issue with the EBAY clips and the R-motion clip is that the weak point is in how the clip attached to the shaft. Lots of shear stress on the 'straps' or 'tabs'. I originally copied the EBAY design and got ~15 swings in before I launched the unit into my neighbour's yard. Failure point was the tabs with the screw, My new design has no thin parts.

In the images below, the red parts are solid, the rest are holes Click image for larger version

Name:	rmotion clip.png
Views:	741
Size:	655.9 KB
ID:	255699

Comment

Originally posted by hydrannt View Post

Here are some of the CAD drawings of my design.... I think the issue with the EBAY clips and the R-motion clip is that the weak point is in how the clip attached to the shaft. Lots of shear stress on the 'straps' or 'tabs'. I originally copied the EBAY design and got ~15 swings in before I launched the unit into my neighbour's yard. Failure point was the tabs with the screw, My new design has no thin parts.

In the images below, the red parts are solid, the rest are holes Click image for larger version

Name:	rmotion clip.png
Views:	741
Size:	655.9 KB
ID:	255699
                Looks good. Although I think the challenge you have with this design is that not all club shafts are the same thickness (only an issue if you're intending for your design to be used by others). Unless there's a way to tighten / loosen that i can't see?

​​​

Comment

• hydrannt
                  hydrannt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  While shafts differ, the taper should be similar.... I simply use a cable tie (zap strap) to connect to the shaft and have used the same unit on P, PW, 6i with no issue.

So, finally the clips of the ebay seller arrived.
                There are 3 clips which have a smaller diameter (at the point where the shaft is placed) than the others and fit perfectly without any tape underneath.

As you can see, with the 10 other clips I had to put some tape on the shaft so the "clip arms" didn't get under to much pressure by tightening the screw.

Unfortunately my R-Motion set still hasn't arrived yet, so I can't make any statements if the transmitter will fit perfectly, but I will report later.

So far (after many swings on my home mat in the garden, making golf shots into a practice net with full speed) I'm happy - there is no loosening of the clips and no clip has broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Clevinho View Post
                  So, finally the clips of the ebay seller arrived.
                  There are 3 clips which have a smaller diameter (at the point where the shaft is placed) than the others and fit perfectly without any tape underneath.

As you can see, with the 10 other clips I had to put some tape on the shaft so the "clip arms" didn't get under to much pressure by tightening the screw.

Unfortunately my R-Motion set still hasn't arrived yet, so I can't make any statements if the transmitter will fit perfectly, but I will report later.

So far (after many swings on my home mat in the garden, making golf shots into a practice net with full speed) I'm happy - there is no loosening of the clips and no clip has broken.
                  I've also received my eBay clips and have been using them. Note they are the "old style" clip with the bolt and nut. Good idea about putting tape on the thinner shafts, I did not do that, even though the clip arms are pressed quite far. So far, no broken or loose clips. Also, no flying sensor yet, although I suspect that will happen sooner or later. The first time I inserted the sensor, it was in very tight, I needed pliers to remove it. But eventually it got looser, and at some point it may get too loose. The sensor does not go into the clip on the rails like it does with the new style clip.

Comment

I had the same issue when I purchased my R-motion a year or two back. It eventually resulted in this design. It uses half of a plastic golf practice wiffle ball lashed to the club with two zip ties. I've used the exact same concept on all of my Tittle-X clubs (Woods, irons and putter) and in the case of the Tittle device, I think it works BETTER than the original precision-made clips. I get nearly realistic play on E6-connect and it's easy to move the sensor from club to club. I've been using this for years now so I know it works. The only downside I found with this is R-motion's sensor is smaller and so I found it harder to get out of the pocket of the cradle than with Tittle's slightly larger sensors.
                    Last edited by Chuck; 04-05-2020, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X