R-Motion on the Driving Range & vs. SkyTrak - An Evaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-Motion on the Driving Range & vs. SkyTrak - An Evaluation

Let me preface this by telling you that I have a SkyTrak, and I only use it for the practice modules. I have tried WGT but don't find it enjoyable. Simulated play doesn't mean much to me.

I bought an R-Motion strictly for the club data, as it was the least expensive option. I am working with a great swing coach associated with the Golf Channel, and I need to know where I am with club path and angle of face at contact. He's told me where I need to be. I bought the R-Motion to monitor my swing.

This morning I took the R-Motion to my driving range. This is what I observed. Club data is pretty close. I am familiar enough with shot shapes to know if it was hit too closed, etc. And I found the R-Motion to be really good here, and this info is highly useful to me because I can make subtle swing changes based on the data. The swing tempo feedback is also great.

Ball data is another story. It's not even close. Last night I used the R-Motion and Skytrak at the same time, but not together. R-Motion tracks club movement really well. Skytrak tracks ball movement really well. Again, the R-Motion ball data was way off. By ball data I mean distance, speed, spin, etc. The shot direction (the green line that sort of looks like a Trackman) is generally correct more times than it's not.

I would be hesitant to use R-motion as a simulator to play courses and so forth because the ball data is simply inaccurate. Using both R-Motion and Skytrak together, however, sounds like a sound setup.

Are you just using the R-Motion app on the phone or tablet? I found using it with tgc was better than using it with the app

Comment

• Marcus Schantz
      Marcus Schantz commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm running the app on my phone. It's slower on my iPad. Phone is fine with me.

The phone app is horrible. The TGC is pretty good.

Comment

• Marcus Schantz
      Marcus Schantz commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree it's not the greatest but it does give me what I need. I would have to buy a PC laptop to use TGC. Could you possibly post a few screenshots? Thanks.
      Last edited by Marcus Schantz; 10-05-2019, 04:45 PM.

Most of the time the readings are off. Either wrong ball flight or short distances. When you switch to the The Golf Club software it seems to be 10 times better. Lots of people have experienced this first hand.
    All they need to do is actually upgrade the app as they said they were going to like a year ago. But they seemed to have quit on it a couple months into it. There is bugs too.
    The MLM has surpassed it instantly in upgrades.
    Would be cool to get a tablet that could run windows to actually run TGC. But it would be better if they actually came through with their promises on updating it first.

Comment

Working...
    X