Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGC on screen club distances question and playing with no balls question

Hi All,

Just set up my new R Motion device, and after a few teething problems I've got it working. Cant wait to devote hours into it this weekend.

Question 1) Just wondering, when selecting a club on TGC what do the distances of each club represent that are shown on screen? For example, when selecting driver it states 260 yards on screen. Are these distances purely left over from the actual TGC game, and instead the software will calculate distances based on your shot, and the given loft and club length inputted into the R-Motion app?

Question 2) I am planning to set up the simulator in my back room, and wont have the option to hit any balls in this room. I'm planning on putting in a fixed tee into a fake turf mat and focusing on hitting the tee when playing shots, as opposed to an actual ball. Do you think this will work?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Hugh Jars View Post
    Hi All,

Just set up my new R Motion device, and after a few teething problems I've got it working. Cant wait to devote hours into it this weekend.

Question 1) Just wondering, when selecting a club on TGC what do the distances of each club represent that are shown on screen? For example, when selecting driver it states 260 yards on screen. Are these distances purely left over from the actual TGC game, and instead the software will calculate distances based on your shot, and the given loft and club length inputted into the R-Motion app?

Question 2) I am planning to set up the simulator in my back room, and wont have the option to hit any balls in this room. I'm planning on putting in a fixed tee into a fake turf mat and focusing on hitting the tee when playing shots, as opposed to an actual ball. Do you think this will work?

Thanks!
    Hi,

1) The shown distance is a "leftover" from the TGC game, which is the same platform for PS4, Xbox and PC. Unfortunately you won't be able to edit it. So you have to find out your own carry distances for each club.
    The distance you are hitting is a result of the following parameters:
    - Length of the club (from the bottom of the sensor to the ground when the bottom of the clubface is lieing correctly on the ground)
    - Club head speed (measured by the sensor)
    The loft of the club just has an influence on the trajectory, not the carry distance.

You should set the data in the R-Motion-software correctly to get a ball flight and distance which isn't to far from the distances you're hitting on a 5K Launch Monitor like GC2
    For me this worked pretty well (example: average carry distance with 7iron on GC2 = 149 m, average carry distance on R-Motion = 145 m)

2) Because of the fact the R-Motion doesn't measure any ball flight this should work pretty well. Just consider to put the setting on "Almost Golf Ball" because the rubber tee won't give a similar resistance as a real golf ball.

Tell us about your experience

Regards,
    Marc

Comment

2) I don't think this will work the sensor activates at the strike. Sometimes if I am hitting a short chip shot with real golf balls it's hard for me to get it to pickup the strike. You would have to hit down fairly hard on the tee.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Jars View Post
        ....Question 2) I am planning to set up the simulator in my back room, and wont have the option to hit any balls in this room. I'm planning on putting in a fixed tee into a fake turf mat and focusing on hitting the tee when playing shots, as opposed to an actual ball. Do you think this will work?...

It may work. You definitely have to "hit" something for the sensor accelerometer to detect impact. You will have to tweak the settings and may encounter spurious results for dispersion. I did some testing a while back for someone that was asking the same question. I was hitting just a tee:

Comment

Yes on 2, my son uses the simulator without no ball and no tee. The device may not detect the swing unless the club touches the mat. Also, it will show the shots going further left than with a ball, I think this is because, in a proper swing, the club strikes the ball before it strikes the ground, so with no ball the device thinks the club is striking the ball at the point when the club is actually striking the mat, at which point the club face is more closed.

Comment

Playing round one of the tournament yesterday on my first hit, I took a practice swing to warm up and it registered the shot. First time happening so now I am careful about when I take practice swings!

Comment

Working...
            X