Spectrum Golf setup bounce back FIXED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spectrum Golf setup bounce back FIXED

Wanted to share this for anyone who has purchased a SuperTex set up from Spectrum Golf and is having a tough time with bounce back, or for anyone who is considering purchasing in the future. Through a lot of trial and error, and reading through the tips on this site, I feel like I can share this confidently to help you. It is a little different when you buy a kit like this, because you naturally want to follow their directions and use all the included parts. If you do that with your kit, you may kill yourself with a driver that bounces back twice as hard as you hit it!

So first things first, the basic set up is a steel cage that has 14" of clearance on the back, and three feet of tarp coverage on the sides and top. The screen is held in place by 4 pieces of PVC around the edges with 3-4 straps that wrap around the PVC and attach to the cage. Finally there is a large heavy black grommetted tarp that is attached directly behind the screen with zip ties every 12 inches. There is pipe insulation covering every visible part of the cage.

Now we start.

You want to build the steel cage part exactly as the instructions show.

When you build your set up, you are only going to use the one piece of PVC for the top of the screen. You will only strap down the top and sides (use the same holes on sides, you just won't have the PVC pipe in there so will be attaching directly to the screen). The top straps can be tight enough that there is no slack. The side straps should be attached but lose. The bottom will hang lose and unattached. You will attach the side and top tarp covers as instructed, but in my experience required a little modification but not that important for this discussion.

The back is the important part. First you are going to completely leave off the black tarp. This thing is the majority of the problem, and makes every shot loud to boot! Trust me, even if you think you can do the other parts I am going to tell you and then add the tarp...DON"T. I did that and so you get to learn from my mistakes.

You could technically hit balls into just your screen at this point without too much bounce back, but I recommend doing the following to finish the set up and protect yourself from putting holes in your screen prematurely. Go to Harbor Freight and by two large moving blankets for $9 each. My set up is 12' x 9' so I bought the 72" x 80" ones. You are going to cut small slits in the top of the moving blankets and attach them directly behind the screen at the top only. Sides and bottom will hang lose. I set mine up so the two blankets overlap by one foot in the middle where you'll be hitting most of your shots. I just used some cord I had laying round and tied simple square knots and used the top bar of the cage as the anchor point. Again, trust me...just go get the moving blankets and don't waste your time trying other blankets you have lying around your house, like I did.

Once you attach them you are DONE. Depending on the size of your set up this is going to leave just screen along the bottom 12-18" and about 6" on each side, but I have not had any issues at all. That being said I did add an old sheet behind the blankets with tarp clips that reaches the bottom and covers about 6 feet, but that was just my need to "mess" kicking in. Feel free to try that too if you like.

When you hit the ball should hit the ground immediately and depending on your flooring options, bounce along the ground back to your hitting point. That is the GOOD kind of bounce back!

Hope this helps

Thanks for the write up. I’m getting ready to purchase this screen myself and was worried about bounce back considering I would also have my 11 y/o stepson using it.

Comment

I have absolutely perfect bounce-back like you describe without the moving blankets (although they are still likely a good idea). I insisted on having Chip sew eight or so straps to each side.

Dead quiet and balls get killed cold at the screen, drop a foot back toward you, and roll back to the hitting point.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarsus7k
        Thanks for the write up. I’m getting ready to purchase this screen myself and was worried about bounce back considering I would also have my 11 y/o stepson using it.
        Hope it helps

Comment

Originally posted by Ookie
          I have absolutely perfect bounce-back like you describe without the moving blankets (although they are still likely a good idea). I insisted on having Chip sew eight or so straps to each side.

Dead quiet and balls get killed cold at the screen, drop a foot back toward you, and roll back to the hitting point.
          Nice. So are you set up as packaged or did you drop the tarp and make similar adjustments that I did?

Comment

My instructions had nothing about a tarp. But I asked for a total custom unit with straps on the sides about every six inches apart. Price was still very reasonable.

I have a vertical piece of EMT on each side, with the straps run through them. Will work on getting a photo. This allows for a LOT of tension on the screen if I want.

Once I got the side poles in, I was utterly shocked as to just how perfect the trajectory of hit balls was. They basically land about 3-5 feet from the screen like someone had rolled them off a dining room table.

Still want to consider moving blankets to protect the screen and also to prevent light from behind ruining things when the hayloft doors are open.

Moving blankets are incredibly useful in general. Every man should have one in the back of his vehicle at all times. Haven't checked out Harbor Freight (I shop there fairly often but quality is suspect). I do know that the Costco ones are excellent and about half the price of those at Home Depot.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write up your experience and observations TUS. And for your comments as well Ookie. Very helpful indeed.

Comment

UPDATE. Moving Blankets unfortunately only lasted a week. Fell apart from the impacts. Continued to tinker to get similar bouce back. Ended up using bungee cords for sides instead of straps and hanging several sheets (6) with cord and tarp clips behind the hitting area where I had the moving blankets. Works great.

Comment

I’ve had my setup for 2 years. I set it up exactly as noted with the heavy black tarp behind the screen and always had the extreme bounce back...adjusted tightness and all that to no success. I even have a new screen over the old one due to a ball going through the first screen. I thought that would help but did not. THANK GOD I came across this post. Just removed the black tarp and slightly loosened the straps and now PURE HEAVEN! My wife may not see me all winter now that I can actually enjoy the simulator and not have to worry about dodging golf balls!

Comment

Working...
                  X