This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProTee vs GC2 buying decision

Hi! I am going to buy a simulator and done some research, but I know you guys can help me. After reading around, it seems the CG2 has the best accuracy but the info I would probably want isn't available with out the HMT - bottom line - big $$$. So then I thought my only option was protee which is a fixed and supposedly less accurate, but offers many courses. So then I see you guys using them together with what seems like the best combo. How does it work? Does it use the CG flight info? Can I get face angle data and other info to help analysis my swing? I guess what I am asking is what are the upsides and downsides of the combined system? Also what do you need to make them work together - protee software? CG2 launcher? Some interface software as well? Appreciate any feedback you can offer... Thanks Hoona

Hey Mark,

We don't actually use the Protee and the GC2 together. What's happening is some of us have the GC2 and others have the Protee and we play against each other online with the Protee 2.0 software. The folks at protee have made it compatible with the GC2. As far as accuracy of the Protee, others here will fill in I'm sure but from what I can see, if you are willing to spend the time to configure it, it is pretty much just as accurate. Lots of threads on **********.ca with more comparisons.

Cheers,
    Rick

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by "Rick" post=3711
      What's happening is some of us have the GC2 and others have the Protee and we play against each other online with the Protee 2.0 software. The folks at protee have made it compatible with the GC2.
      How is the putting done in this scenario? I like that the GC2 can be thrown in my bag and taken out to the range, nice.

Originally posted by "Rick" post=3711
      As far as accuracy of the Protee, others here will fill in I'm sure but from what I can see, if you are willing to spend the time to configure it, it is pretty much just as accurate. Lots of threads on **********.ca with more comparisons.
      Yes, looking there now, and seems to be promising...

I'm also in the comparison stage, and it looks like there are 2 options now, Protee, or GC2, would you say those are the 2 most accurate?

Thanks,
      -Brett

Comment

Hey Brett,

Most accurate? In their respective price categories, they are very good. I'm hesitant to answer this with any more details than that since I've never used a Protee or any other launch monitor other than the GC2. I'll say that I'm very satisfied overall with my GC2.

Rick

Comment

Okay I guess I'm frustrated I can't make a decision. The $$$ differential is huge, ie 2x, to go with CG2 with HMT. I am looking to be able analyse my swing in order to get better. I don't think I'm too concerned if I hit the ball 230 if it actually would have gone 240, I just want be able see it hook and look at the data to confirm that and understand why. Am I over analyzing the process? Are you guys able to do that with the protee or is it more for entertainment? I'm not trying to slam any product; I just need some honest input from you users. I tried the true golf which seems to have a similar approach to protee??? And found that when I hit a wedge, the angle to too steep for the computer to pick it up. Does that happen with Protee? I really appreciate your valued input.. Thanks Mark

Comment

The GC2 with Protee software will cost around $8500 while the Protee can be had for $6-5K. The GC2 can be taken to the range but you'll probably only do this a couple of times initially to test it's accuracy. After that, it will probably just atay in your sim room. Using it outside with irons where grass and dirt can fly into the GC2 is not a good idea.

The GC2 will allow you to get up and playing online in a few hours. The Protee requires setup and calibration of the cameras. The best way to get consistent, affordable club data is with the Protee.

Comment

Originally posted by "Mark hansen" post=3719
              Okay I guess I'm frustrated I can't make a decision. The $$$ differential is huge, ie 2x, to go with CG2 with HMT. I am looking to be able analyse my swing in order to get better. I don't think I'm too concerned if I hit the ball 230 if it actually would have gone 240, I just want be able see it hook and look at the data to confirm that and understand why. Am I over analyzing the process? Are you guys able to do that with the protee or is it more for entertainment? I'm not trying to slam any product; I just need some honest input from you users. I tried the true golf which seems to have a similar approach to protee??? And found that when I hit a wedge, the angle to too steep for the computer to pick it up. Does that happen with Protee? I really appreciate your valued input.. Thanks Mark
              No, it does not happen with Protee. The Protee uses a camera to measure launch angle. With Trugolf, you basically select a loft in degrees and/or it guesses what your LA will be for chips and pitches. The trugolf can't measure LA with these shots because the ball will not usually hit the screen at it's highest point. The Protee LA cam has a limit of 59 or so degrees depending on your setup. Flop shots launched at around 55 degrees.

If you're looking for club feedback, the Protee is the best way to go unless you got money for the HMT. The other option is to try on of those club attachment devices(Swing Byte for example). Some say it's accurate while some say it's not.
              Last edited by Maverick; 10-14-2014, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks Zmax.... I thinks I'll go Protee way.... At least until I get home and start thinking about all this again! LOL mark

Comment

Here you go. Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ProTee-Golf-Simulator-Base-Pack-2-100-Courses-Online-Play-/261420783139?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdde49623

Comment

Advantages of GC2 over Protee
                    - gives you ball spin data
                    - portable (though you want to do a gut check on how much you'd use that - some would use a lot; others never)
                    - much easier to setup
                    - don't have to select clubs
                    - more options for hitting mat
                    - lighting does not need to be as controlled when compared to pro tee (allows for more ambient, light etc. ; note however that more ambient light results in a worse image for the projector screen)

Advantage of Protee over GC2
                    - gives club data (swing path, face angle at impact) (can get with GC2 for extra $$; sounds like you mark clubs for that hardware?)
                    - much cheaper
                    - a lot more courses than GC2 unless you either pay a fortune through Foresight or buy the Protee software to add on
                    - online play (GC2 can play with Protee if you buy the Protee software add on)
                    - some have commented that the Protee putting sensor is a bit easier / more accurate (it's basic 2 sensor strip design seems to be setup to be very accurate, but the guys I've seen playing GC2 online seem to do pretty well putting?);
                    - can be used with lefties and righties during the same round (GC2 would be pretty painful to rotate each shot if playing with both lefty and righty in the same round)
                    - really strong customer service

Both are pretty accurate, Protee just takes more tweaking to get exactly right (different lighting conditions requires different settings). Neither are perfect (I don't think any of the systems are from what I've read). You'll have a ton of fun with either of them. If getting the GC2, strongly consider the Protee add on; online play brings a new dimension and the increase in number of courses can make a much better experience (different people just like different courses).
                    Last edited by Maverick; 09-25-2014, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Mike I appreciate your thoughts - I think I'll be going with ProTee. I saw your in depth comments about the screen size on the Ottawa forum. I have a 30 x 50' room with 10' ceiling and I noticed that with some addition software, ProTee can been watched on three screens - a wrap around I would surmise. Any comments? Have you seen it done? Thanks Mark

Comment

I have only seen a wrap around in pictures. Never in real life. Hard for me to picture my room with even more screen size but it would be impressive! You'd need a pretty serious projector to be able to project on something that big and not have the image diluted down too much, unless you are talking about three projectors - which feels like a bit overkill for me.

However, for the Protee, I think a wrap-around screen would be an issue because you need to control the lighting conditions in the hitting area. The more controlled the better the system performs.

There are three key methods of reading shots with the pro tee. The basic system uses light projected on it from ceiling lights pointing straight down (for both the main sensors and the putting sensor). Those are essentially strips of sensors that pick up the shadow moving across them. You can't have lights hitting them from the side or the shadow being cast would project off to the side (need to go straight down). That said, there is a chance the wrap-around screens would work for that.

But to get the best accuracy out of the Pro Tee you really want to go with the two additional reading points - the vertical and horizontal cameras that pick up the actual ball launch angle (vertical and horizontal). These are pretty basic web cameras. The horizontal camera goes on the ceiling and points down (to show a left/right angle. The vertical camera sits behind and in front of you on the floor (and picks up the vertical launch angle). Those cameras essentially pick up ball streaks. Their best performance occurs when the background is as dark as possible (so they can pick up a white streak across a dark background). These would not likely work (99% sure) with a screen playing in the background (the vertical camera would get blinded with light from the screen and not pick up the vertical launch).
                        Last edited by Maverick; 09-25-2014, 05:48 AM.

Comment

3 screen surround

Btw Mark, did you win that Ebay auction?
                          Last edited by Maverick; 10-14-2014, 06:47 AM.

Comment

thanks for screen info - yes i did buy the ebay - Great deal!

Comment

Congrats on a great deal. See you online soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X