Does an offset screen look strange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does an offset screen look strange?

So my theater room is 18x13. The length is not a problem but the width of the room does not allow me to swing with driver when the ball is centered at 6.5 feet. My backswing and follow through make contact with the wall behind me(right handed). So I have to place the ball 5 feet from the wall directly in front of me in order to allow for 8 feet of clearance behind me.

I was originally looking at a 10x13 enclosure from Carl’s but I think it would look weird hitting 3 feet to the right of center. So I am now looking at a 8x10.5 screen where I can position the ball in the dead center of the screen.

The question is: will it look strange that my impact screen enclosure is shifted 3 feet to the right leaving a 3 foot wide space in the left side of the room? Anybody have a similar setup that you can post a picture of??

I would prefer to hit offset personally.

Comment

Go wider and offset, you will not regret having a bigger screen. This is coming from someone who wishes he could hit into the middle of the screen. (My screen is 12 feet wide)

Comment

Stingreye- so if I build a 13 foot wide screen (believe me I WANT to) but hit 3 feet to the right of center then won’t it look strange when the ball hits the screen and the video “ball” starts flying 3 feet to the left of the real ball’s impact?

Comment

Most simulator software apps (Skytrak range, TGC 2019, etc.) allow you to move the center to the left or right. So, you can match up your 3 feet right of center with how it shows on the screen. My sim is nearly 14' wide but I cannot hit dead-center for similar reasons (not enough room to the left). I have my software offset on the screen so it matches exactly to where the ball hits the screen. You definitely want the largest screen size possible - do the offset.

Comment

Most software allows an offset - so you can set the ball to fly from where you hit the screen.
            I have TGC2019 and FSX2018 - and both do this.

Comment

You shouldn’t be 3 feet off center maybe 1-2 feet. At first, you will want to pull the ball
              to the middle despite being able to move the ball to line up with the ball in the sim room. You should adjust to that fairly quickly. Most software options havean offset built in. I don’t like all of the ways they do it. So for some of the software I have I use OBS Projector preview option to move and zoom in the screen to fit where and how I want it. Then I use a 47” old vizio lcd tv to aim and use when I am interfacing with the software. I only use the projected image for immersion. Remember when you make it less wide you are changing your aspect ratio so you literally are just losing additional picture by making it smaller. If you want any help using OBS if you don’t like the built in offset, let me know.

Comment

• Putt-For-Doe
                Putt-For-Doe commented
                Editing a comment
                What is the OBS you speak of. Does Uneekor's software have the built in offset option

• Stingreye
                Stingreye commented
                Editing a comment
                It’s for streaming but it has a projector mode that lets you move and manipulate the image on a second or third screen. It stands for open broadcasting software.

Agree with comments above to go wider and hit offset on the screen. Personally I leave the software centered as it doesn't bother me at all, you might be the same. But most software allows you to line up the ball if you end up caring. Either way, not a big deal for most people. You'll appreciate a bigger screen.

Comment

I was offset almost 2' when using my GC2 but am now that I have a Uneekor I'm setup to hit center. I actually liked the offset better, as your body is setup in the middle of the room. It did take a little while to get used to aiming 2' off center, but the video looks normal with the ball starting 2' to the right. I had my minimap setup on the left side in FSX 2018 and that made the ball strike almost look like it was in the middle of the picture on the screen.

Comment

Why did the hardware make you be offset? Usually it's related to room width.

Originally posted by rgstech View Post
                  I was offset almost 2' when using my GC2 but am now that I have a Uneekor I'm setup to hit center. I actually liked the offset better, as your body is setup in the middle of the room. It did take a little while to get used to aiming 2' off center, but the video looks normal with the ball starting 2' to the right. I had my minimap setup on the left side in FSX 2018 and that made the ball strike almost look like it was in the middle of the picture on the screen.

Comment

I moved a curtain that was hanging on the left side when I installed the Uneekor so I could mount the Uneekor in the center to allow for righty and lefty players.

Comment

Rgstech- I know that you have to ceiling mount the Uneekor 3.5 feet behind true hitting area. I was wondering how big of a hitting area the launch monitor covers. Does that make sense? In other words, what is the ‘footprint, that you can hit from?

Comment

• Putt-For-Doe
                        Putt-For-Doe commented
                        Editing a comment
                        18in x 24in per Austin

The hitting area is pretty big.. probably 18" deep x 24" wide.

Comment

Just depends on your aiming and swing style. My presbot routine for SkyTrak is just to aim off the ball on the screen then once I am over the ball I ignore the screen. I am offset about a foot.

Comment

Working...
                        X