Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback on a new build

Hey guys,

After browsing this forum for several days I decided to post to get feedback on a new build.

I'm building a shed for golf simulator purpose only with rough dimensions of 16 ft wide × 25 ft in length and 10,5 ft in hight

Launch Monitor: Uneekor EYE XO
    Projector: OPTOMA UHD65
    Screen: Carls Premium 16:9
    Computer: i7 9700K with ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
    Software: TGC2019

I debated a lot going for QC2, QCQuad or Uneekor but really wanted TGC software so have decided to go for uneekor hence their integration.

Questions:

1. What projectors in the 3k USD range would you prefer over the one I looked at.
    2. Have I made the right choise going for Uneekor instead of Foresight?
    3. My budget is roughly 30K USD for all the gadgets and interior. Is there something better out there?

Will keep you guys posted in the building section once my shed has been build

Thanks a lot.

I will let others comment on some of your other questions, but Nvidia is set to release their new GPU's on Sept 1. Might be worth the wait. Either in savings on the one you listed or getting a much better card if you go for the 3000 series. I would also suggest you spend some time considering the mat that you will want.

Comment

• SekreterarN
      SekreterarN commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea, I live in Sweden so think I will check local suppliers for a good mat. Will probably do a rubber sound mat under and then fake grass on the whole thing and just a small portion with a good striking mat.

I wont have concrete under but wood so hopefully its sufficient with rubber sound mat and grass.

The rubber underlay is a good investment. My setup is on concrete so I layed rubber matting down, then fake grass then set the hitting mat over the top. As an advantage it also makes for a comfortable surface for the kids to dance around on and the wife to do her online exercise on. I also found that it significantly helped with slowing down the balls after they come off the screen

Comment

I just installed almost the same unit as you described above....Here is my thoughts and learnings of my first sim build (room dimensions are 15x18x10)

1) Launch Monitor: I purchased the EYE XO Refine package: Pros: Love the monitor, went with that over others for a few reasons: Did want one on the hitting mat that I would have to move each time my lefty son hit and I didn't want to wait 3 seconds for the ball to go once hit, wanted to use my own balls and not pre-marked ones, customer service is great. Cons: Limited courses available with their software packages and limited info on internet about EYE XO, have to call customer service.
      2) Projector: I purchased an OPTOMA 1090HDR, short throw projector...Projector is very clear and easy to set-up...the short throw is mounted about 8 feet from the screen (no able to go any further back)...depending on how you want to mount, not sure I would buy a short throw for my set-up again, if you have 10 feet of room plus, i would go with normal throw..I might also buy a 4k projector, would be interested in graphics would be any more clear with the 4k, but very happy with the 1080p on my screen.
      3) Hitting screen: I purchased Carl's premium screen at 16x9 to go with my projector with a 5 foot cage extension on top and on both sides....I love, love the screen, easy to install, ZERO bounce back with no cushion behind screen (screen is about 8-10 inches for a concrete wall)...If I had to do different, I would of maximized my room and ordered a custom screen from Carl's and would buy a projector to to fit that one, at least the 16x10...the 5 feet extension are great, i have never had a shot go beyond those extensions....I put sound absorbing drapes on both sides of the sim for more looks vs need....
      4) Computer: Bought pretty much the same specs as above, the 2800 card will be plenty, the 3000 series will be ~$1500 when released and the software will not need that much power and it will not make any difference vs 2080....I would not wait for the 3000 to come out to start build (if for some crazy reason you need 3000, it takes 5 min to switch out cards)
      5) Software: Have used both E6 and TGC, I prefer TGC given the number of very realistic course designs, the graphics and the price....There will be more sim softwares coming over the next couple years if not sooner also).
      6) Floor: I have a concrete floor so i purchased 1 inch thick 3x3 foam workout gym squares and fit them together with no need to glue or fasten to floor...On top of that I purchased 1/2 pile putting turf and laid that out in 1 large piece over the floor....I then purchased 2 stance mats and the soft strike hitting strip from hdgolf.com I recessed the stance mats and soft strike into the floor...I love the soft strike, ZERO wrist and hand issues as I have seen with other hitting mats

Just some of my thoughts on what I have put together, please reach out if you should have any questions.

Comment

• dudley286
        dudley286 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the information about your sim!! I am just about to put mine together and have a question about the 1090hdr. Does it have a manual zoom so that you can fit the picture onto your screen? I have read so many articles on specs for the 1090hdr that I have completely confused myself and I can not figure out if it has a manual zoom or digital zoom only

• Gud
        Gud commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, this is very helpful. I am looking at a similar build with EYE XO and Carl's cage.
        But at 16:10 sizes are: 13.6' x 8.5' - wish I could do the 14' x 8.75'
        I have 14' wide room with 10' ceiling and 15.5' long & trying to maximize height so please tell me about how far from ceiling and sides you think is necessary as buffer? When you say using 16x9 screen, is your room 18' wide by 15' long? or am I misunderstanding? How far from tee to screen?
        You experience is very valuable; so many thanks for any ideas on best way to use this size space with a Carl's cage.

The 1090HDR does a function to let you work to fit the screen to a certain point, what I mean is that it is meant for a 16x9 set up, but it will allow it to adjust a few inches to maximize the image onto the screen, and it will allow horz/vert adjustments to straighten screen

Comment

With the Carl Premium Impact Screen, I have minimal bounce with an 8 inch space behind the screen...As fare as the sides and the top, I believe you can get by with very minimal free space, you can take the cage to almost 14 wide and 10 high....Carl's will build you a custom size screen if you want to give them your dimensions, just remember the cage will take up several inches on both sides so the screen will have to be smaller than 14 feet...my room was 15x22 and i had some space for storage on each side and i have room for furniture behind hitting area...I am hitting at about 8.5 feet from screen with EYE XO about 5 ft from screen and projector about 9 ft from screen...hope that makes sense

Comment

• Gud
          Gud commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks so much - what size 16:9 screen did you get with the 15' wide room - gives me an idea of how close cage can be to sides.
          Also, what do you think is optimal distance from screen to hit from if you are unlimited in length of room (I could knock out a non load bearing wall and turn hitting 90 degrees to hit at the wall of 15.5' (which is the side wall in initial setup first mentioned of 14' W x 15.5'L x 10'H)?
          Do wedge shots make the hitting area closer than theoretically possible as I see you are using 8.5' behind screen - would you go back further if you were not fitting furniture in room?

My screen is 7.7ft x 13ft....is plenty large enough IMO, I find hitting from the 8-10ft range plenty as far as impact to the screen and no bounce back....also gives plenty of distance to putt to the screen....you can go back farther it you want, but I don't see the need to take out a wall to make that much distance...60 degree wedge shots are fine to hit and don't have any trouble with them hitting XO device or ceiling....I would not go back any farther unless you plan on taking the XO device with you, 8-10 feet is plenty for the the XO to read all needed data.

Comment

Can you post a photo of your setup?

Comment

Originally posted by DreamsofaGamer View Post
            I just installed almost the same unit as you described above....Here is my thoughts and learnings of my first sim build (room dimensions are 15x18x10)

2) Projector: I purchased an OPTOMA 1090HDR, short throw projector...Projector is very clear and easy to set-up...the short throw is mounted about 8 feet from the screen (no able to go any further back)...depending on how you want to mount, not sure I would buy a short throw for my set-up again, if you have 10 feet of room plus, i would go with normal throw..I might also buy a 4k projector, would be interested in graphics would be any more clear with the 4k, but very happy with the 1080p on my screen.
            3) Hitting screen: I purchased Carl's premium screen at 16x9 to go with my projector with a 5 foot cage extension on top and on both sides....I love, love the screen, easy to install, ZERO bounce back with no cushion behind screen (screen is about 8-10 inches for a concrete wall)...If I had to do different, I would of maximized my room and ordered a custom screen from Carl's and would buy a projector to to fit that one, at least the 16x10...the 5 feet extension are great, i have never had a shot go beyond those extensions....I put sound absorbing drapes on both sides of the sim for more looks vs need....
            6) Floor: I have a concrete floor so i purchased 1 inch thick 3x3 foam workout gym squares and fit them together with no need to glue or fasten to floor...On top of that I purchased 1/2 pile putting turf and laid that out in 1 large piece over the floor....I then purchased 2 stance mats and the soft strike hitting strip from hdgolf.com I recessed the stance mats and soft strike into the floor...I love the soft strike, ZERO wrist and hand issues as I have seen with other hitting mats
            I'm debating on building my own sim vs having a company build it for me and my room has very similar dimensions 15Dx16Wx10H and I'm 100% sold on the EYE XO for an ideal right and left golfers.

1) Projector - The 1090 has come up many times and that was my plan so I'm curious to why you would go with a non short throw next time. If you had a regular projector 10' back wouldn't it sit in swing range? You would also have to hang it a little lower than your Uneekor making it even more susceptible to club strikes. (maybe not)

2) Hitting Screen - Do the sound absorbing drapes just hang on Carl's screen or did you set that up differently.

3) Floor - This is the biggest concern for me when deciding to build my own or not. I'm building a new home and the floor needs to look professional. I created an 8" step down to the hitting room and would really like to recess the stance and hitting mat. Did you just cutout and the ½ pile and workout foam and drop the matt in? hdgolf.com doesn't sell anything online so it's hard to review the mat.

Last thing, did you consider purchasing the sand/rough golf mat panels?

Any photos of your setup would really help me out.

Comment

Originally posted by SekreterarN View Post
              Hey guys,
              CQuad or Uneekor but really wanted TGC software so have decided to go for uneekor hence their integration.

Questions:

1. What projectors in the 3k USD range would you prefer over the one I looked at.
              2. Have I made the right choise going for Uneekor instead of Foresight?
              3. My budget is roughly 30K USD for all the gadgets and interior. Is there something better out there?
              1) I have read that the 1090 is a perfect solution for the Uneekor and the 1080P is more than optimal for the screen. Your screen choice will play a major part in the quality of your image. I'm a videophile and have a very high end projector in my theater JVS DLA-RS4500K and I only mention this because quality is a great concern for me. If you were to do what Dreamsofagamer suggested and delete the short throw all together then I really don't know. Short throw is all I have been reviewing up until now.
              2) I have spent countless hours researching simulators and in my opinion you are making the right choice. I'm in the same situation and was debating between the hawk and the Uneekor. Uneekor seems to be the hawk killer for two main reasons... Price & Software options.
              3) My budget is similar. I can have a local company build everything and provide everything for that price but I'm thinking I can save approx. $7K and do it on my own.

Good luck, I look forward to the photos.

Comment

Working...
              X