How did you choose??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you choose??

I've been trying to decide on a simulator for a while now... and that's the problem. The more that I look at one, the more I talk myself out of it. How did you guys all end up deciding on which launch monitor/sim software to get?

Maybe you guys can help. Some of the features that I'd like to have:

- Ability to play right and left handed with minimal movement. I have a neighbor who is lefty, and he would play as often as I do.
    - That leads to my next want, the ability to see club head impact. I've seen the GC2 highly recommended, but when I add in the HMT it would become cumbersome to move for every shot with a lefty playing. Is it possible to have the lefty just stand over the GC2/HMT and it will read correctly?
    - Ability to play a lot of different courses. I was looking at the GCQuad, but from what I've read they don't have a lot of courses available. I'm not 100% sure that is still correct to date. I was looking at the ProTee also, but the area that I'm going to be setting this up in is an unfinished basement, so I'm not 100% sure I could get the lighting required for it to be perfect correct right now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I had the GC2/HMT system, and what got me to switch was the fact I thought I was going to have to start playing left handed. For me it was a big time hassle to switch it around, also the HMT doesn't do anything in game play. I sold my system and went to the Uneekor QED which I am happy with no worries about switching anything to go from right to left handed play and does a video of each club swing, with the new Uneekor EYE XO having a full face view of the club. One more plus Uneekor has a large selection of game setups supported by the manufacturer, as to where the GC2 is reliant on software written by others to get around the manufacture only wanting you to use their software.

Comment

Originally posted by BGCurtis2nd View Post
      I had the GC2/HMT system, and what got me to switch was the fact I thought I was going to have to start playing left handed. For me it was a big time hassle to switch it around, also the HMT doesn't do anything in game play. I sold my system and went to the Uneekor QED which I am happy with no worries about switching anything to go from right to left handed play and does a video of each club swing, with the new Uneekor EYE XO having a full face view of the club. One more plus Uneekor has a large selection of game setups supported by the manufacturer, as to where the GC2 is reliant on software written by others to get around the manufacture only wanting you to use their software.
      My golf coach that I just started using has Trackmans for his place. How would the Uneekor compare to that?

Comment

• BGCurtis2nd
        BGCurtis2nd commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't used a Trackman so I have nothing to go by to compare the two.

• Dax
        Dax commented
        Editing a comment
        @leomode did a comparison of launch monitors in South Korea and used his TM4 as well as GC2 to complete his comparisons. This was pre Eye XO, but BG’s comments are consistent with a number of other users who purchased the Uneekor system over the past year.

Shanks your most economical solution is ProTee.... If you can get the ceiling height to 9.5' in your basement, I would recommend ProTee, the lighting will be overhead, and should be fine. Why do you feel you cannot get the lighting right?

Regarding Trackman, that is the most expensive option, which requires 20'-30' of ball flight to work well, can you get that distance to your screen in your basement?

Comment

• Dax
        Dax commented
        Editing a comment
        Where did you get those measurements from? Have you tested the distances to note the difference? This is the first I have read that requirement. I agree it is on the premium side of the price range, but requires 10 feet of ball flight to work well and some have found that 15 seems perfect, but for me I have found little issues with my 12 feet of ball flight with my driver.
        Last edited by Dax; 09-08-2020, 01:03 AM.

I also saw with the Uneekor Eye that you had to put the stickers on your clubs to get the club data. Is that needed to just play on a range or sim course? And I'm guessing that you guys that have the Uneekor just leave the stickers on your clubs full time, and don't take them off to play out at a real course?

Comment

The stickers for the club, is for club data. It is independent of ball data. You can play a round or practice on a range without the stickers. The stickers are very durable and I leave mine on when I play outdoors. I have not changed my PW stickers for at least 8 outdoor rounds. The club data is amazing with the camera views. Being able to see the club impact and path is very helpful. Not having to move something around for other players is also a relief. I also love that you can run any 3rd party software with it.

Comment

With ProTee you don't need any stickers.

With Uneekor you need stickers on balls too, you . I can imagine that's a big pain maintaining stickers on clubs and/or balls. You also need stickers with Foresight, if you want club data.

Do you see why ProTee is the easiest and most economical solution?

Comment

• pwade3
            pwade3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Not correct. You don’t need stickers on the balls. QED balls come with dots manufacturered into the balls. With Eyexo you can use any golf ball you like and they never require any stickers dots or anything on them. Two stickers on the clubs if you want club data and its easy to do.

• Brettster
            Brettster commented
            Editing a comment
            Sure I understand, but I don't want any dots or stickers on my balls.... or clubs for that matter. I'm trying to make the practice / playing in my simulator as true to 'in - real - life' IRL as possible and that would not include my eyesight seeing dots on my balls, or my clubs when hitting in the simulator.

Maybe you believe I'm a purist, but that's just my take on it, and I also don't want to mess with applying stickers to clubs (even if it is only 2), all that messes with my head in what I'm doing when I step into the simulator - which is 'pretend to be playing real golf' as much as possible. Stickers, or dots are not part of any mental picture I want when playing golf and never will be as they are completely artificial to the simulator requirements!
            Last edited by Brettster; 09-04-2020, 04:58 AM.

• pwade3
            pwade3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thats great. We all have our preferences. I’m sure the ProTee is a wonderful LM. But the OP deserves factual information. Not fiction. Thats all. I just corrected you so he was not misinformed so he can make an educated decision.

I bought the sim in a box package from costco due to the incredible discount and "all in one" package. I would have bought the XO if i did not need to buy everything else. I am happy with my choice for now

Comment

Am I right in thinking the protee system uses s special mat with sensors, so you have no choice over the surface you hit off?

Comment

gojoholo the ProTee system does use a special mat with sensors built in. You do have a choice on the mat surface, after you purchase the original mat. The original mat is a FiberBuilt, so you start with that, but then you can use various custom made mats that others offer, on eBay and elsewhere that fit the ProTee sensor. For example, I purchased a used ProTee system, and the guy sent me 3 mats to go with it, as he tried out several different mat types (Gene up here on the forums).

You do have limited choices, and have to choose from the pre-made mats that will fit it, as I don't see anyone being able to 'cut out' all the holes required for the sensors on the sensor (there are 8 holes for sensors). This is why you would not be able to choose a 'gel pad' mat with ProTee, as you have a sensor (CPU board with chips in it) directly underneath the mat, so you can't have a mat that would push down, it must be fixed on the surface to the top of the sensor. I'll take a few pics and post them so you can see... If you search up here though, you can find others talking about different mats they tried on their ProTee system, and I believe even ProTee sells a TruStrike version.

Comment

My choice was based on being able to have left and right without making any changes or moving things around. Software was also a big one for me. Customer service is also an important consideration. On the number of courses, how many do you need? Most of the hardware out there have at least 50 plus courses from you to choose from and the most is TGC, which allows multiple different types of hardware to use their software.

ps, I would ignore the ball flight comment above and read the testing and comparisons that has been completed by others on this forum that show how systems actually perform. Also keep in mind that none of these systems are perfect.
                Last edited by Dax; 09-08-2020, 12:47 AM.

Comment

• pwade3
                  pwade3 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And don’t forget, (I don’t need to tell you Dax). TM is a premium launch monitor that not only works excellent indoors but can be taken outdoors so that it can track the ball in its entirety. Never heard of that 30ft indoor thing. Odd.

• Brettster
                  Brettster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How much distance in ball flight do you need Dax with your TM? I've seen many others saying at least 20' of space to get a good read, is that wrong? It looks like I listed space as ball flight, sorry, I really meant 20'-30' of total length, if you drop off 6' to back wall for swing, and 2' toward screen area that takes it to: 12'-22' of ball flight.

You're right for sure, none of these systems is perfect, which is one of the reasons that I will not consider units that cost over $5K, I don't have that much money under my mattress for an imperfect system, and I also have limited space 8' of ball flight to screen (14' total area after my screen is mounted 1' from wall).
                  Last edited by Brettster; 09-09-2020, 06:34 AM.

pwade3 yiu are correct it does work excellent and is definitely a premium product with excellent software that is always being upgraded (Tracy being the latest) and great customer service.

Brettster, I have written extensively on the measurements needed for TM. To be specific my thoughts are as follows:

min room is 19 feet, which gives you room behind screen of about a foot and accommodates the distance from wall to front of TM. You then need 7 feet from front of TM to tee and ten feet of ball flight. The ten feet is the distance noted by TM.

I would say ideal is to get 12 to 15 feet of ball flight to accommodate high swing speed players. I drive the ball 250 to 270 carry and find my 12 feet to be perfect. I would need to check but believe this is also good at 10 feet as I don’t usually have sub 2000 spin.

Comment

• Brettster
                  Brettster commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Dax - I appreciate the details. I will not have that kind of space unless I build on to my current shed.

• Dax
                  Dax commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What would be great is if the new ball that is rumoured as coming would allow users to cut down on the distance to the screen. I suspect this will not be the case, but who knows.

I did hear again. Today about someone commenting on a new TM5 and wonder when that might be released. They also heard about the additional camera and wondered how this might be used and questioned if some of Foresight’s patents might get in the way. I really can’t wait to hear more about this new unit, but am also really looking forward to learning more about the new ball.
              Working...
              X