Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mevo+ VS Garmin Approach R10- Which one is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mevo+ VS Garmin Approach R10- Which one is better?

If this has been asked/move to another area let me know.

Which one is more accurate at the moment in your opinion? Looking to get one for garage over winter. Thanks!

Garmin has made huge progress with the R10 since launch and it's loads better as of the most recent update than it was initially. Accuracy-wise, nobody has done a properly structured head-to-head with either unit with their current firmware upgrades and it's unclear to what extent the pending release of Fusion tracking is going to affect things for Mevo+.
    I think it depends more on your needs for the launch monitor:

Mevo+, while still a consumer product, is closer to a professional setup than the R10 but that might mean you're getting (and paying for) more data than is useful for you. If you do want even more data points you can always pay for the Pro package upgrade later.

Can't putt with the Garmin, if that's something you care about.

There's a few stand accessories that help make the R10 setup easier to align (for extra cost) but the Mevo+ is pretty straightforward since it measures the forward and lateral tilt of the unit in the Flightscope app and has a bore sight camera to line it up quickly.

R10 has better battery life and is IP rated - not sure about the Mevo+ in that department but I'd hazard a guess that it isn't waterproof. The Garmin is also far less finicky to charge.

They both have more or less the same simulation options, though I prefer the Flightscope native software to the Garmin. Home Tee Hero is down to personal preference - without rendering trees or obstacles I don't find it useful for anything other than just messing around with loads of courses.

TLDR: Setup aides aside, the R10 is a bit more user-friendly, runs longer, has loads of software options and is plenty accurate for most amateurs with the updated firmware. It's also 1/3 as expensive, so if you don't need or want the extra things the Mevo+ offers it might be worth it to get the Garmin and invest those savings in a better hitting area. Precision and accuracy-wise, I'd give the nod to the Flightscope.

Comment

Garmin. Right now I wish I would not have sold mine to buy a Mevo+. Garmins are back-ordered right now or I'd switch back.

Comment

HI

This is a slippery question, and could start an online brawl.

QCquad vs Trackman

Skytrak vs mevo+

Trackman vs Flightscope

to me they are all wonderful including R10, and they all have pros and cons.

It depends on what you are happy with at the end of the day.

And obviously, who wouldn't want a quad & trackman/flightscope...........oh dear I want all three.

Comment

• preludesam
          preludesam commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by HappyGilmore102 View Post
          HI

This is a slippery question, and could start an online brawl.

No kidding, you guys are going at each other on the other thread lol...

• bubbtubbs
          bubbtubbs commented
          Editing a comment
          Starting with a conclusion then working your way backwards from that to justify it sometimes gets people annoyed.

• HappyGilmore102
          HappyGilmore102 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi

Yes, some people know everything about nothing.

Look back at my posts when r10 first launched and see what people said and what they are saying today.

I also got blasted for saying patent protections are reaching expire dates.

Rapsodo are working on something special, no its not possible just another mlm, we will see, I back myself, and if I'm wrong, no big deal.

Remember, if you always have to be right, then your usually wrong.

Plus, online you can pretend to be anything.

Happy days, this forum is for everyone.

Hi everyone

Checkout this shot read by QCquad and Trackman at the same time with driver by TXG guys.

at 9 min 31 sec, trackman shows a high draw while quad shows a baby fade.

We test Titleist's new Radar Capture Technology (RCT) golf ball on Trackman and compare it to the numbers from Foresight Sports GC Quad.0:00 // Intro3:07 // ...

Comment

• Dax
          Dax commented
          Editing a comment
          Dan’s comments are spot on as they you could tell they did not have impact location turned on, or there was just not sufficient lighting. Someone posted that they had tons of lighting, but again it just shows they likely did not know how to get it to work properly as too much light, or the wrong kind of light could also cause impact location to be read by TM.

On another note, I have heard that the X3 from Flightscope might be coming out with impact location in a few months. This will be good news for those with that equipment.

• JackedUpSwing
          JackedUpSwing commented
          Editing a comment
          But if they are needing impact location, that means they are still CALCULATING and not measuring spin directly.

• Dan13
          Dan13 commented
          Editing a comment
          JackedUpSwing - As a clarification indoors TM4 (and M+) is measuring the spin directly but not measuring the spin axis. Said another way TM4 measures total spin but is unable to determine the axis around which the ball spins. It needs impact location vs center of gravity to calculate that. Assume that the improvement to the X3 will do the same but will be interesting to see how Flightscope tries to solve the issue.

I feel like what you’re saying is R10 has a lot of great features and maybe with some updates to accuracy could be a clear winner?

Comment

• preludesam
          preludesam commented
          Editing a comment
          I would like to think that is true...but realistically speaking I think we are going to start to see the Mevo + separate itself with accuracy in the D-plane If you are on a budget or do not really need the extra "accurate" data then the R10 looks like a great buy. It just seems to me like the R10 is a PRGR or Rapsodo with extra club and spin axis algorithms. That could be a really ignorant statement though so do not crucify me too hard.

Garmin is new to this market and this is their first offering. Flightscope has had a few product launches in this market and is overall pretty well received. I guess only time will tell but my money is on Flightscope. I am also biased owning a Mevo+ so...

• bubbtubbs
          bubbtubbs commented
          Editing a comment
          An important distinction is that it's a clear winner at its price point for a large number of golfers because it offers a lot for being relatively entry-level.

That said, it's far from perfect and if you have a more substantial budget for the launch monitor, like 3-4K or greater, I'd never recommend it. Most things more expensive than it are going to be better but the question then becomes how much better and for how much money?

Quad is objectively superior to Skytrak but at nearly 10x the cost with software and add-ons, you have to think about how much the features and accuracy are going to benefit you if 19K isn't "walking-around" cash.

The fact that the R10 is calculating spin indoors is a decided minus in my book. With the recent firmware update for the M+ improving spin measurements and the future software upgrade to recognize the RCT ball and the free fusion tracking upgrade coming I consider the M+ a level or two up on the R10. That is not to say that the R10 isn't an excellent product in its price range. If you can, wait until some more recent reviews come out comparing the R10 and the M+ to an enterprise system like GCQuad or Trackman 4. Should shed some light on what you are getting (or not) for an extra $1400 and what improvements have been made to both units over the last 6 months.

Comment

In my humble opinion there is nothing the garmin has over the mevo. No camera for alignment, no putting, indoor spin tracking. Sure the r10 does a bunch of what the mevo does at near the same accuracy but with fusion tracking soon and having a camera and radar based system it is not apples to apples. If all you are looking for is a sim launch monitor it is great and a hell of a deal but it will never be able to give the same level of actual data points vs calculated. All that being said I am not sure the mevo is worth over 2k more with pro upgrade. In the end budget and what you plan to use it for is up to you and both are great options

Comment

• bubbtubbs
            bubbtubbs commented
            Editing a comment
            A major plus of the entry-level market stepping up its game is that it pressures the mid-level companies to incentivize purchasing their product over a cheaper option.

It's Garmin, no need to fret. Within a year the R20, R30, and R40 will be available.

Comment

• preludesam
            preludesam commented
            Editing a comment
            Got any research links so I can get educated? I didn’t know they were bringing multiple products.

• Mirek_62
            Mirek_62 commented
            Editing a comment
            The R10 is not a watch and is definitely not sold in such volumes as the Fenix6 (which are also more expensive and will probably have a bigger profit on them). And Garmin usually releases watches in a two-year cycle. So I personally would expect the successor to the R10 in 2 years at the earliest, but probably later.

• HappyGilmore102
            HappyGilmore102 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi pcascio

You might be right, before R10 was released someone posted (back in Jan 21) Garmin patent info regarding a camera based unit they were seemingly working on.

Then the R10 was released during summer out of the blue.

If Garmin have been working on a camera based unit, it could be release soon, maybe during the summer.

A golf launch monitor is configured to determine a flight characteristic of a golf ball. The golf launch monitor includes two low-speed cameras, a trigger device, and a processor. The trigger device is configured to detect a golf swing. The processor is configured to instruct, upon the trigger device detecting said golf swing, the first camera to capture the first ball image; instruct the second camera to capture the second ball image after a time interval, wherein the time interval is less than the first frame rate and the second frame rate; and determine, based at least in part on the first ball image and the second ball image, the flight characteristic of the golf ball.
            Last edited by HappyGilmore102; 01-14-2022, 12:13 PM.

For me all I want out of a sim is direction and distance. If that is near spot on I'm happy. I play real golf at lot more than on a sim and when I play all the other data points mean nothing to my game. Never asked how just how many that's golf.

Comment

I’m guessing the MLM isn’t even part of this comparison then lol

Comment

• bubbtubbs
              bubbtubbs commented
              Editing a comment
              At $100 cheaper? Hardly worth it for what you're giving up.

I have an r10, my neighbor has a mevo+ I've used both of them many times playing in my basement indoors. I'd say the mevo is more accurate, but it's not worth the extra money. We both agree the r10 is better for what we do, which is just play some virtual golf, not hard-core training. We have not gotten the putting on the mevo+ working well enough to incorporate it into our games, and we've tried several times.

Comment

If price was no consideration at all its Mevo easily. Being the owner of an R10 though I don't think the upgrade is worth the extra price. If I was upgrading I'd probably have to step way up to the foresight models

Comment

• bubbtubbs
                bubbtubbs commented
                Editing a comment
                R10 is probably enough for the majority of amateur golfers and has more mobile options now with Awesome Golf and light years ahead of Optishot. Shaping up to be a pretty great device.

Mevo+ was originally just going to be a temporary stop for a couple years and then upgrade to an EyeXO or Hawk but if Fusion tracking combined with the Pro data performs well then I might delay that for a few more years and still keep the Flightscope for range and vacation use.

GC3/BLP is great but with region-lock, limited software options and having to move it around between shots (my father and both kids are lefty), it's less than ideal. Plus it's large enough that taking it out to the course for a few shots pre-game isn't as convenient so I can still see there being a market position for the Mevo+ as a more casual X3/Trackman, especially since it has no midrange competition from radar units, barring a dramatic improvement for the Kit.

• Anemoi
                Anemoi commented
                Editing a comment
                @bubbtubbs

I forgot to specifically mention Optishot but you are spot on I feel. Prior to R10 if you wanted an entry sim it was Optishot which from what I have read is effectively worthless as a training tool or you dove in at the 2k ish price point

There is definitely a place for the Skytrack/Mevo+ but whether it was supposed to or not I feel like the R10 is going to eat into their market a good bit.

All that and are we even a full year in on the R10? From my understanding the Mevo got significant software updates in its early days, so far it seems the R10 is following that path.

• bubbtubbs
                bubbtubbs commented
                Editing a comment
                No, I think we're just passing 7 months on the Garmin. Somewhere around July last year.

Question 1- Is there an update for Garmin in the works?
              Question 2- Is there any upcoming devices to compete with the Garmin you have heard of?

Comment

Originally posted by golfun2 View Post
                Question 1- Is there an update for Garmin in the works?
                Question 2- Is there any upcoming devices to compete with the Garmin you have heard of?
                There have been a number of updates so far. There is a garmin device forum where a rep comments that you can see things they MAY be working on but as far as I know there isn't a road map of what is coming when.

I am not aware of any other product that's going to compete with the garmin but given how well it appears to be selling I have to imagine someone will pop up.

Comment

Working...
                X