Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20x20 build help/advice

Hi again all,
    long story short, I’m setting up a cabin/shed in my yard for a sim (from scratch).
    So I’ve been clearing stumps, cutting trees and digging like a mole to level ground... fixing drainage is coming up next. I’ve already spent a whack of cash I never planned for. I’m getting quotes on a slab pour, but as I’ve previously mentioned my budget is bare bones, so I’m likely doing it myself in sections. Anyway, out of cost, ease, and space for kids, I continually end up back at 20x20. I fully understand that “ideally” bigger is better, I’d build a gymnasium if I had the cash and space, but I don’t. For those who have a 20x20’ or less sim, should I really push for the extra couple feet? It’s not a 30x30 question, I maybe at max could get 20x24. And that’s absolutely MAX. For those that have a 20x20 or similar space, I’d love to hear from you. Pros, cons, reasons to push for a few feet no matter what, or reasons not to bother.

Thanks again to everyone in advance,

still dreaming of a sim

I’m in the process of building a sim room in our second garage which is only 13.5’ x 19’. So 20 x 20’ already seems a luxury to me.

Based on what I’ve read, 20’ width is sufficient to accommodate a right -handed / left-handed player configuration. And with a short throw projector with .5 throw ratio, you only need 10’ distance from the impact screen (assuming you want a 20’-wide screen). Add a couple of feet for behind the impact screen, you are left with 8’. Assuming you stand a foot or so behind the projector, you will still have 6 or 7 feet to accommodate your back swing. But if you want some furnitures (like a couch or chairs), maybe adding a few extra feet to the length wouldn’t hurt. Otherwise, 20’ length should be sufficient.

Comment

Thanks for the input tron. I’m not thinking of adding too much furniture to the room, maybe a couple bar stools or a bean bag chair. I was thinking of about a foot from screen to wall, then being about 9’ back from the screen. I wonder what the guys at golf town would do if I took a tape measure into their hitting bay to get some type of scale 🤔

Comment

• gnomike
        gnomike commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha! I did exactly that! I brought my tape measure to Golf Town and took down some numbers when I was planning/figuring out my sim. I chatted with the guys and, while they chuckled, they were cool with it lol

A foot may not be enough considering a 20’ wide screen and the amount stretching/deflection that would result from impact. The conventional wisdom is a minimum of a foot and a half, although I have not verified that myself. Also, I say take your tape measure as long as you are discreet about it.

Comment

I’m thinking it will be more like a 16-18’ wide screen, as I’ll have some type of pads on the sides as needed. I have a few hacker and newbie friends that could easily justify the expense. (I’ve never hit a shank 🤫), and I’ll be putting a net and padding behind the screen too. Because it will be a designated golf room the back wall will probably have net and foam pretty close to the wall, curtains if needed too. But they won’t need to be taken down. I’ve played around with a driver in my garage, but with odd dimensions. Idk. I guess I’ll measure out golf town’s sim and go from there as a guide. If anyone else wants to chime in it’s all appreciated.

Thanks again

Comment

I have a tight sim space... your 20x20 seems palatial lol... Anyway, I researched to death all those that had less than the commonly accepted 18" behind their screens, and I came up with 8" (7.5" actually). I have no bounce back whatsoever. My setup is three layers hanging from the same angle iron .... Carl's premium/ sports net (not archery) / 2" memory foam

Comment

Thanks gnomike , I have a similar idea for foam behind the screen, and I'll definitely take the tape to golftown for some perspective. I'm more concerned about it being a functional hitting station and sim for practice than having it as an entertaining space, so 20x20 is seemingly very doable. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I have 13x20. 20x20 is ideal! Likely no offset. That being said. If you can pickup another 4 foot it would feel pretty dramatically bigger. If it doesn’t have any other downsides to going bigger, go bigger. I would love to have. 20x20 space

Comment

Working...
              X