Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats behind your impact screen?

Hi fellow simmers,

I have my build all set up and running, but i have a question...

As the title states, what do you put behind your screen? I have about 1 foot distance from the impact screen and the wall so i have plenty of space there for the stretch of the screen when the ball impacts it. I dont have anything behind there but have read in other posts that people put blackout sheets or the like behind the screen.

I dont have an issue with bleed through and dont really have issues with the screen. what i have noticed is the ball leaves an impact dent in the screen and also if im using real balls and not almost balls then the ball bounces back quite a bit.

I am thinking of putting removals sheets behind the screen but do i need too? i was thinking maybe this will help in the bounce back from the screen and maybe baffle the noise on impact and even help towards the dent issue on the screen.

any help would be appreciated.

Many people use nets or mowing blankets. I have archery netting and a matress topper= zero bounce back

Comment

I've got nothing behind the screen and from only 8' away my ball just barely rolls back to me. I use bungees to attach the screen to angle iron and everything has worked great. The last shot shows on the screen but that's it and it goes away just by running hand over it.

Comment

• dack
        dack commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you please post pictures? Thanks.

Mine has netting then memory foam then plywood.
      My Courses:
      World Par 3's by mthunt
      Toronto GC (L) mthunt
      Burlington G&CC by mthunt
      Weston G&CC by mthunt
      London Hunt Club L mthunt
      Park CC Lidar mthunt
      Sunningdale GC Robinson L
      Sunningdale GC Thompson L
      Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
      Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
      The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
      The National GC L mthunt
      Mississaugua GC L mthunt
      Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
      Markland Woods CC mthunt
      Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
      Magna GC L mthunt
      Barrie CC L mthunt
      mthunt Range

Comment

Thanks guys I didn't think of a mattress topper but dunno if you can get a 3m x 2.5m size.

Why netting? What will that achieve?

also last night I was playing and I got the ball wrong and thanked it straight into the side pole holding the screen, ofc the ball then shot back at me at speed which just missed me. That was close and made me think how dangerous it actually is. What do you guys use to protect the poles holding your screen?

obviously this is my first build in my garage.

Comment

• tntfox
          tntfox commented
          Editing a comment
          I made corner protectors for mine. I bought a 6" thick by 36" wide by 84" long piece of foam rubber. I cut it into 1" by 6" slabs to fit the inside dimensions of my cage and then covered it with awning material I got from a second hand fabric outlet. Since my cage is more than 7' wide and tall, I just Gorilla Glued (spray) two pieces end to end to make the length I needed. Then I wrapped the awning material around the foam, poked holes in the overlapping spots on the back of the foam and tied it together with small zip ties. From the front it looks totally finished and the back is never exposed so you don't see my non-sewing connection method. It works and looks great, but a ball can still get past it as I dont have velcro on my screen to attach it to. To keep balls from making it to the walls, I hung moving blankets behind the screen and wrapped them around the corners about 6". I have had a couple balls make it past the foam pads but they drop straight down when the hit the moving blanket.

Originally posted by Ozmodion View Post
        Thanks guys I didn't think of a mattress topper but dunno if you can get a 3m x 2.5m size.

Why netting? What will that achieve?

also last night I was playing and I got the ball wrong and thanked it straight into the side pole holding the screen, ofc the ball then shot back at me at speed which just missed me. That was close and made me think how dangerous it actually is. What do you guys use to protect the poles holding your screen?

obviously this is my first build in my garage.
        You only need to cover the are where the ball impacts with a mattress topper, you can use a kid size if you wish.

Comment

I have a short room by SIM standards, so researched the heck out of how to set up a screen as close to the wall as possible and not die from ricochets lol... I decided to go with 8" from the wall. I have a carl's premium screen in front, then a sports net stretched tight, then a 2" memory foam mattress topper hung freely. I get zero, and I mean zero bounce back.

The netting helps preserve the screen by absorbing some of the impact, and the mem foam just drops the ball and deadens noise I imagine as well. Snaphook was right on about just a small topper needed... that's what I did... I covered a generous impact area, but only about 40% of the whole screen area.

Comment

• dack
            dack commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey @gnomike: Is the mattress topper against the wall? So there is ~6" of space between the screen + netting and the mattress topper? Thanks for any info.

• gnomike
            gnomike commented
            Editing a comment
            Not quite, the mattress topper is hung from the same angle iron as the screen, so it falls flush against the sports net/screen combo. I thought about hanging/attaching it to the wall 6" away, but decided that the weight of the topper itself would add to the slowing/dampening of the ball.
            Last edited by gnomike; 12-25-2019, 11:38 AM.

I have a screen that hangs from the ceiling with an electrical conduit pipe at the top and bottom. I secure it with tarp clips to a vertically strung wire (from floor to ceiling) on each side of the screen. Behind the screen I have a net that is also secured to the vertical wire.

I have about 8" from screen to wall and that seems to be enough. I have very little bounce back (with real golf balls).

Comment

OK Cool,

thanks for the input, i will look for a mattress topper to go behind the screen.

My next question - I have metal bars hanging 5cm from the ceiling and side walls for the screen to hang from. I use bungies to attach the screen to the metal bars, but the bars are visible and on very rare occasions the balls ricochet off of them and come back at me with some speed.

I was thinking of wrapping bubble wrap around them then re-bungying the screen to the wrapped bars. what do you guys have to reduce this problem?

Comment

I have used pipe insulation. You just cut it open and wrap it around the metal bar.

Comment

Hi - glad I found this thread.

I am looking to build my sim in a room that is 13'10"L x 13'6" W x 9' H and want to reduce the screen to wall distance as much as possible. Can folks who responded to this thread please post links of the materials they used for the backing behind the net and how it was hung / kept in place?

Do I need to built an EMT / PVC cage for my screen or are there other methods to get the screen to be tight enough so the image is nice and clear / non-wavy?

Comment

I purchased my screen and border from Par2Pro. These guys are very helpful. They recommended hanging the screen with angle iron and bungees so I did that and it works great. I will say that rooms size seems very tight. You will be hitting 6' from screen which depending on clubs and your arm length could have you hitting screen with a driver.

Comment

• caldiver
                    caldiver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for the response. Yes, the length of the room is not ideal so there's a chance I might build this sim in the garage instead, which also has its tradeoffs / pros / cons. I tested out my driver yesterday and still have about 2.5 ft from the wall so if I can keep the screen at 1ft or less I should be fine. Thanks!
                    Last edited by caldiver; 12-06-2018, 02:12 AM.

caldiver With that width, use angle iron mounted to side walls and ceiling and attach screen with easyklip tarp clips and adjustable ball bungees.

Comment

• caldiver
                    caldiver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks so much for the information. Do you have any photos / videos or other posts that you can link me that illustrate how to actually do this? I have never worked with angle irons before. How many would I need? Just at the 4 corners of the screen?

Hi caldiver - Cal... My sim room dimensions are almost exactly what you have, so I can answer pretty much any question you might have. My room is even a bit smaller... 13'6"L x 10'10"W x 9'H. I was super worried about the size at first because almost everyone has more space, but I've since discovered that having a small sim room not only isn't a bad thing, but actually has a great number of advantages! Several have to do with hitting closer to the screen. No worries of hitting the ceiling or likely the side either (depends on your game lol). I hit offset from center, which means I can rotate my screen three times before I need to replace it. Hitting closer feels very immersive without the need for/expense of a giant screen. Anyway, you get the idea.

I mounted my screen 8" from the back wall onto angle iron that I screwed onto the walls and ceiling. I didn't have studs at that distance, so used 75 lb drywall EZ-anchors... they are awesome. There's a video done by Par2Pro that shows you everything you need to know for the angle iron installation. BTW You'll need angle iron all up the sides and across the ceiling in order to perfectly mount and tension your screen. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Comment

• caldiver
                    caldiver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you so much, gnomike! Will definitely reach out with questions.

• dack
                    dack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Terrific info gnomike. Please don't hesitate to post pics of your setup

dack caldiver Glad I can be of help guys. As for pics, I don't have access to most of them right now, but I did find a random one that might be helpful to show my setup. Three days after I "finished" setting up my screen, a minor disaster hit. The weight of the memory foam topper behind my screen was too much for the six tarp clips with which I had attached it.. ripped big chunks right out! doh! I had to re-jig it and find a way to re-hang everything. Anyway, that's what you see in this picture. It's interesting because it shows a view of the angle iron around the perimeter, the velcro tape (hooks) glued along it for future use in attaching a nice black frame, the mini bungees all around to tension the screen, and the ropes securing (or trying to secure) the mattress topper. All of this is 7.5" from the back wall. The second pic is what it looks like now.

Edit: If you look really closely at the second pic, you can just see the mattress topper behind the screen. Only shows up in the right light, and it doesn't show even a little bit when the projector is running.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by gnomike; 12-12-2018, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X