Retractable Garage Simulator - Homemade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retractable Garage Simulator - Homemade

My wife said the only way I could upgrade to a Skytrak from Optishot was if she could have her garage back... So here was my solution... Complete with winch. I'm able to go from garage to golf course in about 3 minutes.

thats a great solution, have a friend who i might pass this on to

Comment

I can take more detailed photos if he is interested in building it. Took a weekend to build. And I have no construction background.

Comment

That is awesome! Does it stay fairly warm in your garage? Great solution to the space dilemma!

Comment

I am in Ohio.. We get winters down into the teens typically.. I have a curtain hung over my door (that also goes up with the garage).. And a $100 indoor safe propane heater and we play in 70 degree weather all year long. Takes about 10 minutes to warm up the garage to play. I go through a $20 propane take about every week to 2 weeks depending on how much time I stay out there.

Comment

I would greatly appreciate more details of this, and possible parts list. I am currently in design phase for my build, and I am looking at doing an option such as this.

Also, what is the height of your ceiling? I have just over 9 ft. I see the platform you stand on has a few inches of height to it-- im wondering if I will have enough height in my garage if I am standing on platform (mayne not me, since im 5' 10", but perhaps some taller friends I have)

Comment

Also, forgot to ask, but how is the oriented with respect to your garage door tracks and motor? This is something I am also deciding on. Does this fit directly into a single garage bay and you are hitting along the same path as your grage path (parallel with garage door tracks, or perpendicular)? (for instance, the front bumper of your car would touch the screen if you drove all the way up?)

Comment

• Brent628
                Brent628 commented
                Editing a comment
                My ceiling height is just under 10 ft. I have one friend who is 6'6" and has a VERY big swing. (hits 300-320 drives on average) He actually hit the ceiling on his follow through once. The rest of us normal people have a good 16 inches of clearance on our biggest swings. I toyed with actually turning the 2x4's sideways and laying them flat on the ground, but because I had the 10 ft ceiling height I found it would be a little stronger with the 2x4s upright... So I built 2 6x10 foot mini-decks and hinged them together in the middle with 4 heavy duty door hinges. I connected the front deck to the frame using (2) 36 inch bars with threading. Put some bushings between the nuts and it works very well.. I'll take some pics later to show you. And the only problem in my setup would be that if you're left handed.. You can't play. Since I know zero left handed golfers, I wasn't too concerned... The door leading into my house is on the opposite wall of my garage door. So the only way I could do it would be to put the screen on the wall to the right when walking in the garage door from the outside. The garage door opener sits almost above my Skytrak. My favorite thing to do when people come over for the first time to play is to press the button and have the winch lower it to the ground. It's pretty impressive to say the least. lol.

That looks exactly like my setup, fridge and all, but my screen and netting is permanently on the back wall, and I just pick up by 5x5 mat and bungie it to the side wall.

Nice job. Hopefully your protection never allows a screaming high shot to bounce off that winch!

My first setup I had a friend who took a nice 9 iron shot to the face after the ball hit the black iron pipe I had used to hang the netting from. A nicer shiner resulted.

Comment

• Brent628
                Brent628 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha. The only way to get to the winch would be with a high caliber rifle. You'd have to go through (2) 2x4s heavily wrapped with carpet padding. And I used to have a piped net system. We also had a few zingers flying around the garage! Made for some interesting rounds of golf.

I added a natural gas infrared heater hanging in the corner of my garage hooked up to a thermostat. If you can, this is great, cuz I can just turn it on and set the desired temp.

Infrared works great in garages too since it doesn't kick around any dust and the concrete floor soaks in and holds the heat nicely.

I also lined the inside of my garage door with reflective insulation that bounces the infrared heat back into the room. I play in pajamas a lot in the middle of winter.

Comment

• Brent628
                Brent628 commented
                Editing a comment
                My buddy is an HVAC guys.. he suggested the same thing! That will probably be my next purchase (unless I can convince my wife to build a new garage and let me turn our current garage into a permanent golf room that can double as a home theater! lol
            Working...
            X