New Build - Need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build - Need advice

I have just bought a new house. The house originally had low 8ft ceilings and to get more space I have vaulted/cathedral them (see pictures before and after) As of right now I have more then enough room, but am having trouble thinking of something that will be 1. Somewhat low profile 2. Not impossible to break down and put away if there is company over 3. Wont ruin or be bolted into my existing soon to be new drywall/paint/ect

Basically these are the materials I was considering:

-Carls Premium 16:9 or 16:10 screen (not sure of the size but can use suggestions based on the picture. I want it to stay in the living room yet give me the biggest space to hit)

-Behind the screen I will have a permanent Silver Screen mounted projector screen so that I can repurpose the projector and use it as a movie room. The enclosure for Carls impact screen I would like to build a portable frame that I can break down if possible. This can then be set up in front of the mounted screen for when guests aren’t over.

-Have the optishot 2. Might either get the skytrak and a fiber built mat or the ultimat full for the optishot 2 and get a Fiber built insert for when I get the skytrak. Any suggestions will help me out with this!

-Projector was thinking BenQ MH760 1080P DLP Business Projector, 5000 Lumens. It has high lumens since there will be some light in the room during the day. It also keystones since I will have the projector to the side of the screen (see picture). This is because my ceilings are vaulted they are at a slant. I would rather not have a projector hanging from that type of a ceiling I feel like it will be an eyesore. I will be making a couple shelves close to that window and leaving the projector and touch screen on them

So my questions:

1. Has anyone seen or built a screen/ enclosure screen that can break down like that?

2.Which size screen would you get anyone use carls premium?

3.Is there a way you would set this up different?

4.What simulator should I use? I was thinking skytrak with TGC full. The optishot 2 seems nice and pretty accurate, is it worth the extra $?

5.Thoughts on the projector? Has anyone seem this one before?

Wow, great space.

I hope the ceiling joists weren’t acting as ties to prevent the roof from spreading ... 🤔

I would say try to get a much bigger image than shown if you can. You might need a short throw? Can the projector move further back to project a larger image?

Have you thought about an impact screen on a curtain track, with maybe a 2’ wide screen / wall for it to sit behind when not in use? Not many people seem to use this option, but I think it works great for a multi-purpose space.

I don’t think you an go far wrong with SkyTrak and TGC THB.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

No luckily the roof is great, they were added to support new high hats I am adding in the middle of the ceiling.

The image pictured is from an old epson ex 2800 lumens projector. From that projector I placed it close to where it would be but the image can be enlarged since I didnt zoom it in.

Im not too sure what you mean, is there any set up or picture you can link me to in order to give me a better idea?

I will be going there this weekend and more work shall be done so I will take measurements and pictures and post them in due time. Thanks for the response!

Comment

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190320/2446d7e9c66b2addd959d59461f2a253.jpg

[/IMG]

Not the best example because my sim is out of use atm, but you get the idea. The impact screen is just like a curtain. Fixed at one end, then when in use, fixed to the other side with a bungee.

Danny

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the pictures Danny, interesting concept, I would have never thought up of something like that before. When I go this weekend Ill take some measurements and post them. What sim and software are you using at the moment?

Comment

The indoor sim is on hold before it really got started (we’re having building work carried out, so are down a couple of rooms atm, and my son’s drums are now in my sim space!).

I have a SkyTrak and have just been using the range. Thinking of getting a GC2 and sim software that isn’t available on the SkyTrak.

Comment

You're at almost the same stage as me, and practically the same room! My roof is finished, plastered and painted though

Interested to see what you do here. Mine is going to mainly be my office/ movie room/ man cave. I want the sim in there (one of the reasons it was built), but practically no sign of it when not in use, sounds like you want the same. I was actually heading here to post the same topic

I'm thinking of mounting a big TV on the wall, for during the day use, then having a screen bolted to the back wall to hang in front of the TV, so those two would be practically touching. I'm not thinking of using the screen as an impact screen, more for just movies, as I don't fancy watching movies on a screen that got a stretch mark in the middle (like most sim screens seem to have). So I'm thinking of building a curtain rail for a net (to put in front of the screen/ TV, I intend for this to be free standing, out of some sort of pole structure, as the net will look ugly if there permanently.

Comment

I went the opposite approach. Golf screen up all the time, movie screen hung in front as I want to conceal everything and watch tv/movies for the home theater setup.

Here is my post for the example. Movie screen is a light 150" screen on a wood frame that I can easily move and hang by myself. Good luck on your journey and finding a solution that fits for you.
                  Sharing the results of 4 months of work, mostly DIY and putting things together from viewing examples online and having a finished product in my head to work from. My previous install was on the opposite end of the room. Netting and Impact screen hanging from curtain rails, blocking real use of the room from the hall side. I

Comment

Originally posted by tonypgst View Post
                    I went the opposite approach. Golf screen up all the time, movie screen hung in front as I want to conceal everything and watch tv/movies for the home theater setup.

Here is my post for the example. Movie screen is a light 150" screen on a wood frame that I can easily move and hang by myself. Good luck on your journey and finding a solution that fits for you.
                    https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...e-theater-room
                    What material did you use for the black parts? Room looks awesome, well done

Comment

Originally posted by Wev View Post

What material did you use for the black parts? Room looks awesome, well done
                      Thanks! The black surround is a combination of Commando Cloth or Heavy weight blackout fabric and Acoustic tiles on the ceiling. The screen has a border of 4" black felt/velvet tape and the cloth surround is velcro'd to the sides up against the black velvet tape.

Comment

Originally posted by tonypgst View Post

Thanks! The black surround is a combination of Commando Cloth or Heavy weight blackout fabric and Acoustic tiles on the ceiling. The screen has a border of 4" black felt/velvet tape and the cloth surround is velcro'd to the sides up against the black velvet tape.
                        I was debating not having a heavyweight fabric, as hopefully the ball wouldn't head off in that direction that much. But I suppose you need heavyweight to get the eyelets in it.

Comment

Nice build! I like that both of you have curtains, it seems like that might be the way to go in order to break it down. As of right now im thinking of either doing what you two have done and place a track with a curtain that I can easily break down and it wont be an eyesore also. My roof is slanted so I might have to go to the drawing board again to see what I can do.

The other option I was thinking would be to buy an enclosure I can break down such as https://www.par2pro.com/shop/product...roducts_id=112 I want something that can be 16:9 if possible that also can be broken down

OR I just found this, problem is again I have a slanted ceiling so I am not too sure how this would work. Its a new product seems interesting https://www.par2pro.com/shop/product...2qilt3kc2uthi2

I have no problem leaving up the simulator as long as guests arent there but every once in a while I would like the option to break it down easily as well to keep my living room looking neat and clean

Comment

Working...
                          X