Garage Screen Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Screen Space

Hey everyone. First time posting after reading through the forums over the weekend for the first time. I am considering putting a golf simulator in my garage that would allow me to play and practice year round. Between a family and living in Iowa, it is tough to get out whenever I want. Here is my situation...I have a friend that currently has an OptiShot 2 system with a 9x9 screen. He no longer uses the system and I am debating buying it in full or just buying the screen, projector and side nets from him then purchase a SkyTrak. Really comes down to if I want to get everything from him for around $1,000 or buy the essentials for $700 then drop $2,000 minimum on the SkyTrak.

If I just get the screen, is there an optimal space needed on the side of the screen? I have a cutout in my garage where I currently have a workbench and storage built in. I can remove that and it is just enough space to fit the screen in (see below). Is four inches on each side enough or am I pressing my luck trying to fit it in that space?

Thanks

You can piece it together... Thats what I'm doing. I currently have a old tv on the wall and an old computer that runs Skytrak. I created a DIY hitting mat with a CCE hitting strip in it and hit into a green archery net that is a 10X10. It works well. In the future, I plan to have a retractable sportscreen with impact screen and projector and upgraded computer to run sim software like TGC2019. If you do it in pieces, it is affordable on a budget. I think you will have enough room with that setup that you sketched by the way. I don't see an issue however I'll let more seasoned guys chime in.

Comment

Just my two cents - As long as you can fit in whatever type mounting you will use for the screen, I don't think you'll have a problem. Good luck w/ everything. This forum is an excellent resource for sim setups.

I currently have a Skytrak setup and it works well. Had to send it in for repairs at one point, but it came back and is working well since. I've never used an Optishot, so I can't compare.

Comment

I dont think the optishot is worth the extra money.

Comment

I have both Optishot and Skytrak. Started with the Optishot. It's fun but not that accurate and has a really tough time with certain drivers and fairway woods. Irons generally work well. It's a cheap way to see if you like sim golf but not a great way to get accurate feedback. If you know you are going to want a more accurate way to get feedback then I'd save the money for getting a Skytrak.

Comment

blitz12 I second your comments above. I also started with optishott, switched to skytrak. Optishot is a Fun way to dabble with sim golf but was never confident in shot depiction. Also had to tape driver/woods to get readings. No comparison to skytrak but obviously a much bigger investment. But it has resale value if u decide to sell.

Comment

You have plenty of room that is for sure. I would just do it right to begin with and buy the screen etc without the Optishot and get the Skytrak. I built my cage with regular 1 inch electrical aluminum tubing from Lowes or Home Depot. You can get the corners etc also from most of those type stores. If you are interested I can send you a picture of my set up. I didn't have as big a room so I used moving blankets (two thick) to cover walls on sides.

Comment

FACE if you could send some pictures that would be great. I have considered using some tubing to build a screen frame that I could swing up and connect to the ceiling so that it is out of the way when not in use.

Comment

I would take note of your garage door opener and track when you are planning. That is something i did not take into consideration when building mine and I had to rearrange all my plans so i dont destroy my garage door opener. I am considering removing it and just adding a handle to the door or getting a side mount opener. I also built my own frame with conduit. I started with pvc but it was too flimsy. Skytrak is $300 off at the moment so instead of paying $2150 for the monitor and steel case it was $1850.
                  Last edited by BeerAndHotWings; 05-10-2019, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X