Help with rebound on screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with rebound on screen

Just received a Preferred screen from Carl's. I did not build a frame or cage. The screen is hung only from the top side. The sides and bottom just hang down. I don't have anything creating tension on the sides or bottom.

I'm getting crazy rebound on shots. Low irons and fairway woods literally shoot back behind me or 8 feet off to the side.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I understand creating tension will cause rebound but I don't have any tension at all, it just hangs loose.

The ball has to be hitting something behind the screen for that to happen I'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by GarySatterwhite View Post
      The ball has to be hitting something behind the screen for that to happen I'd think.
      It's definitely not hitting anything behind the screen, there is nothing to hit.

Comment

Very strange. Maybe you need more resistance on the sides to keep it from happening. I run my screen real tight so I can watch movies on it too. Obviously get some bounce back but it's not too bad.

Comment

How close to the screen are you when you hit? And what do you consider a 'crazy' rebound? What are you comparing it to?

Don't know how much it might help but I'd suggest you try using some type of weight (sand bags) along the bottom of the screen or try and find some way to secure the bottom. That might reduce the amount the screen is recoiling at impact and I can potentially see the weight of the screen as it pulls back down after that recoil from impact adding some velocity to the ball.

Comment

There isn't a pipe or something at the bottom to keep the screen straight?? Doesn't take much weight to turn it from a floppy screen to a trampoline.

Comment

Originally posted by StuartG View Post
              How close to the screen are you when you hit? And what do you consider a 'crazy' rebound? What are you comparing it to?

Don't know how much it might help but I'd suggest you try using some type of weight (sand bags) along the bottom of the screen or try and find some way to secure the bottom. That might reduce the amount the screen is recoiling at impact and I can potentially see the weight of the screen as it pulls back down after that recoil from impact adding some velocity to the ball.
              I'm 8.5 feet away from the screen when I hit. Some of the "crazy" rebounds I have experienced are (1) a ball that came all the way back to me and landed at my feet (2) another ball that came back clear over my head, landing behind me; (3) balls that spun left and back off the screen, hitting the side wall of the room about 6 feet away.

I think you might be right about trying to add some kind of tension to the sides and/or bottom. Perhaps no tension isn't workable and the screen requires at least some tension to perform properly. I am also using carabiner clips to hang the screen up top, maybe it would help to use ball bungees to add some give.
              Last edited by abenjami; 05-15-2019, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trhuke View Post
                There isn't a pipe or something at the bottom to keep the screen straight?? Doesn't take much weight to turn it from a floppy screen to a trampoline.
                No pipe or anything at the bottom. The screen is about 10 inches longer than it needs to be so the bottom lays flat on the ground.

Comment

• trhuke
                  trhuke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wonder if the ten inches or so on the floor keep it from giving as much when a ball hits?? As opposed to flapping freely if suspended it would give it a bit more tension from the ten inches part dragging on the floor. Could you try pinning up the extra 10" up enough so it clears the floor and try a few shots? Worth a test anyway.
                  I had many issues with bounce back, now my screen is suspended a couple inches off the floor with a bumper in front to protect the bottom and absorb topped shots and line drives.... not that I've ever topped a shot mind you... The screen really jumps when I hit a drive into it but it absorbs the impact and pretty much just drops the ball to the floor.
                  A few come bounding back at me now and then but not at dangerous speed. I think it has to do with some weird spin on a not so great shot. Most just drop to the floor and roll back to my feet. Haven't figured out how to make them tee themselves up yet...
                  Last edited by trhuke; 05-16-2019, 06:07 AM.

• abenjami
                  abenjami commented
                  Editing a comment
                  trhuke you might be onto something here. I clipped up the bottom 12 inches so the screen was no longer touching the floor and then hit a few balls. Seems like the extra material might be causing the ball to weird things.

Cool! Glad I cold help, I wracked my brain trying to get my screen to stop trying to kill me. ;-)

Comment

Cool! Glad I cold help, I wracked my brain trying to get my screen to stop trying to kill me. ;-)
                  Yeah thanks a million. Here's what I ended up doing.

First, I cut the 10 inches off the bottom of my screen so now it's even with the floor. Side note, during this process, I discovered my screen from Carl's wasn't exactly square and the grommets on the left side don't line up with the grommets on the right side. But whatever, I made it work.

Then I added some tension to both sides using eye screws into studs in the wall and bungee cords. I did one low on each side of the screen and one near the middle of the screen on each side. I am finding the more tension I add, the less bounce back I am getting (which seems weird).

Now for my next challenge, I need to rig some netting up top. My screen is only 8 feet tall and wedges hit right near the top of the screen and sometimes spin up over it. As a temporary measure, I have been using some impact netting I already have but in order to make it "seamless" where the top net meets the top of the screen, I am draping more netting down the back behind the screen. It works great to stop balls from hitting my ceiling but I don't like seeing the outline of the netting behind the screen (the projector shines through it).

Comment

I suspended a tarp from the ceiling, attached to the ceiling closest to my launch area and lowered about 10" next to the screen. Almost a suspended ceiling concept. Takes care of those high shots and absorbs the impact.
                    Not before I put a few craters in the garage ceiling though...

Comment

I suspended a tarp from the ceiling, attached to the ceiling closest to my launch area and lowered about 10" next to the screen. Almost a suspended ceiling concept. Takes care of those high shots and absorbs the impact.
                      Not before I put a few craters in the garage ceiling though...
                      Good idea for a garage setup. Unfortunately that won't work for me, main reason being my sim is located in the house where I don't want a tarp draped like that all the time, and it's in a room with a sloped ceiling so I would have to get the ladder out every time I wanted to set it up or take it down.

I think I have a solution worked out in my head using netting, planning to test it out this weekend.

Comment

Good luck, you'll get it, it just may take a few iterations.. Every space presents its own particular obstacles.

Comment

Working...
                        X