HELP wanted! Simulator build out and recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP wanted! Simulator build out and recommendations

Thanks advance for any advice! I’m building a two story garage 10 foot ceilings and 24x24 area.

I’ve ordered the Skytrack and have a carpet mesh like impact screen from my uncle. I’ll still need the screen as this has mesh like holes all over it.

Here’s where I need your help and recommendations.

1) best projectors to use ($500-800 preferable) this will be used for golf simulator and football games
    2) how far does this need to be mounted? The electric is installed in two weeks and want the outlet where it should be placed. I’m assuming an adjustable height ceiling mount will do?
    3) how big would you make the screen? I’m a 3 handicap but will have friends over that aren’t amazing. I’m also dealing with my fiancé who doesn’t love this simulator idea so I’m trying to make it as little as possible. Possibly side nets that taper down that I can remove when not in use?
    4) Best practices to install screen? Again I have that carpet type impact screen and I know I need to get a white screen to go in front. Any recommendations here would be helpful.

Thank you for any insight!!

The length that your projector is from your screen will all depend on screen size, so I would figure out how big you want your screen first and then do some research on short throw projectors. You will want a short throw projector so that it can be over top of you instead of behind you which will cast a shadow. My personal set up I have a 9’x10’ screen and my shorty throw projector sits roughly 6 ft from the screen. I bought an optoma short throw which is right in your price range but simple research on google and YouTube will find out everything you need to know in an hour or so.

Comment

• Bender96
      Bender96 commented
      Editing a comment
      I also made my frame from 1” EMT piping and then bungee cord the screen in. I put paddi around the outside to cover up the metal in case anyone shanks one of a bar. If you are looking for an enclosure I haven’t had any experience with them but the ones from Carl’s golf look pretty good at a good price point, you could buy it all at once and leave most headaches out of the way. Hope this helps and best of luck on the build!

Do you know what model projector yours is?

Comment

• Bender96
      Bender96 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the Optoma GT1080Darbee short throw gaming projector.

Bender96 - What did you use for padding on your 1” EMT? I have heard that regular 1” pipe insulation doesn’t do much to soften bounce back. Some have done some custom-cut foam mattress topper. I am mostly concerned about the EMT across the top.

Comment

• Bender96
      Bender96 commented
      Editing a comment
      I made my own padding by using 1” insulation and 3” memory foam and then wrapped it in a blackout curtain and hung them on wood. If I were to do it again I would put netting or an enclosure on it, attached to the screen to take the 1” EMT completely out of play

I am in the process of building mine right now, and learned some valuable lessons. I went with Carls Place DIY enclosure, 4:3 aspect ration 12x9 screen, and 10' depth enclosure to block out as much light as possible, and maximize protection for stray shots. The enclosure could not have been easier to build and I was very impressed with it. I wish I had upgraded to the premium screen material however. The first projector I purchased was the Optoma gt1080 darbee, based solely on reviews from gamers and such, this turned out to be a mistake. There a few critical dimensions that have to be met in order to place the projector. I am not even close to an expert on projector and any of this, however vertical offset, keystone, and throw distance are the main things to consider. The Optoma Gt1080 seemed great, however, for my screen size it wanted a 16" vertical offset (mounted 16" above the screen) and a 7' throw distance. In my case, this completely interfered with my enclosure. There is really no way to get around the mounting distance on gt1080, it must be correctly mounted. The vertical offset can be corrected by tilting the projector up or down and then using the keystone adjustment to make it symmetrical again. I decided not to mess with all that, returned it, and purchased the BenQ TH671ST, which is much better as far as setup in a golf sim application. This projector wanted an 11'6" throw distance, and only a 3" veritcal offset. That place the projector well outsde the enclosure, and basically at the same height as the top of the screen. Not only that, it has optacle zoom, so you can fie adjust the size of the image. Much better in my opinion. Image quality, I have no idea, its a golf sim. The other thing to consider is the aspect ratio if you want to watch movies. If your screen is setup for 4:3, the mounting location of the projector will be a good 2' further away than the mounting location will be for 16:9, which movies are in. I will be making a slider so, I can bring the projector forward to get proper 4:3 and 16:9. All of these calculations can be done very easily with this calculator.

With our free projector screen calculator, you can find the perfect screen size for your needs by calculating viewing distance, aspect ratio, and more. Get started today!

Comment

Working...
    X