Garage Insulation Questions..Help/Experience Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Insulation Questions..Help/Experience Needed

I use my garage for my sim room and have a 4 slanted hip style roof. It's a detached, 25' x 23', 2 & a half car, cinder block garage. I have an old 100k luxaire hanging heater/furnace in the corner. There is no insulation whatsoever in it. The attic is open with 2 vents. My hitting area is aligned to where I dont want to drywall or cover the attic up as I need the height in between joists for swinging/follow through. My garage door is 7.5x18 ft and non insulated as well. I've been debating on putting 1 1/2 insulation in the garage door and putting batt or boards up along the roof joists to insulate the ceiling to help the warm air not escape. I dont want to enclose my attic as I use it for storage as well. I also dont want to stud and insulate the perimeter walls either as itll be too much work/money and i dont use it nearly enough yo justify the cost. Any ideas on if this would be worth it to just do the garage door and ceiling slants? Itd run me about $400 give or take to buy all the insulation and do it myself. Just wonder if its be worth it to do those n not the block walls. It takes about 30 to 45 mins from it to go to 70 to 55ish once the heaters off. Michigan weather where I see single digits. Any input or suggestions appreciated! Pics of room and insulation board, but I'd probably use insulation batt instead of the board way for cost purposes.

My garage door had plenty of air leakage around the top and sides, I bought some strips of flexible stuff designed to seal around the door, they nail into the frame outside the door and a pliable flap sits tight to the door when it closes. Lowe’s has it, parts cost maybe $30, put it up myself in about 1/2 hour. Helps, won’t fix all your issues of course.

Comment

I'm certainly no expert but I would say any insulation is better than no insulation. However, i doubt you see too much difference and if you are comfortable while its cold outside i don't know that i would worry about it. If this is a cost savings issue, it might be a handful of seasons til you recover the money for the supplies.

my garage is almost exactly the same size and fully insulated. Theres a lot of concrete and wall space that retain the cool temperatures and once my heater goes off it starts dropping pretty quick in mine. Its 32* and snowing at my house, i bet my concrete floor is about 35* and when i walk out tonight i bet its still about 35*.

Comment

Check out the forum at garagejournal, you may get some ideas there or some feedback if you post. Got a few ideas for my garage from there. I’ve seen some just simply putting up tarps to create a barrier.

Comment

Originally posted by trhuke View Post
          My garage door had plenty of air leakage around the top and sides, I bought some strips of flexible stuff designed to seal around the door, they nail into the frame outside the door and a pliable flap sits tight to the door when it closes. Lowe’s has it, parts cost maybe $30, put it up myself in about 1/2 hour. Helps, won’t fix all your issues of course.
          Thanks, I'll check into the weather stripping as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Taco View Post
            I'm certainly no expert but I would say any insulation is better than no insulation. However, i doubt you see too much difference and if you are comfortable while its cold outside i don't know that i would worry about it. If this is a cost savings issue, it might be a handful of seasons til you recover the money for the supplies.

my garage is almost exactly the same size and fully insulated. Theres a lot of concrete and wall space that retain the cool temperatures and once my heater goes off it starts dropping pretty quick in mine. Its 32* and snowing at my house, i bet my concrete floor is about 35* and when i walk out tonight i bet its still about 35*.
            It's more so that I'm running the heater constantly just to keep it to temp for a good half hour then to run it more. Doing on 2 days a week, times 4 for the month, for a few hours each time, just seems like it adds up. 8 days or so in total per month. At least it's natural gas and cheaper to run. I have all weather carpet all laid on the floor at least. Your walls are insulated/drywalled also n you have a big heater?

Comment

Originally posted by wbond View Post
              Check out the forum at garagejournal, you may get some ideas there or some feedback if you post. Got a few ideas for my garage from there. I’ve seen some just simply putting up tarps to create a barrier.
              For sure, I did research on google n that forum popped up. Maybe I'll join n make a post there. Appreciate it.

Comment

Some more pics of the space & ceiling for reference.

Comment

In the winter, I tack up those foam mats over the vent hole in the roof. I also have a gable vent at one end and in the summer, I put a small window fan up there to blow out the hot air and in the winter, i move it to a different spot and blow the hot air from up there down towards the ground. i was surprised at how much it helps.
                  Originally posted by Kgray247 View Post
                  Some more pics of the space & ceiling for reference.

Comment

Originally posted by wbond View Post
                    In the winter, I tack up those foam mats over the vent hole in the roof. I also have a gable vent at one end and in the summer, I put a small window fan up there to blow out the hot air and in the winter, i move it to a different spot and blow the hot air from up there down towards the ground. i was surprised at how much it helps.
                    Yeah I was talking with my supervisor today and he mentioned to block the vents off for winter as well. Thatll be done asap.

Comment

Working...
                    X