Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Monovision (GROSS) and @Joe_S (NET) winning the TGC1 2020 SUMMER TOUR - Rocket Mortgage Classic!

Join this weeks TGC1 2020 SUMMER TOUR - John Deere Classic with 2 rounds at Banff Springs (Pro Tee): https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...-deere-classic
See more
See less

Overwhelmed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwhelmed...

Recently discovered this forum and must say what an absolute wealth of knowledge and expertise resides here... so much so, that I am truly overwhelmed with trying to decipher it all. Have a lot of questions.

I just moved into a new home where my wife has given into my desires for a dedicated golf cave, giving me the media room for my sim. I would like to ask your opinions as I begin the build including your recommendations for the components, ie screen, projector, computer, mat, etc. I purchased a Foresight GC2 with FSX 2019 last year during their Black Friday sale.

My media room is 13.8’ wide x 18.8’ deep with 9’ ceilings. I am looking at having the ceiling raised to 10-10.5. Not sure if I can, nor if I need to - I am 6' tall and think I can swing my driver without hitting the ceiling. Its gonna be expensive, my media room is on the second floor, so I have enough room in that attic space to raise the ceiling, but have some structural concerns with the roof.

Question 1: IS A 9' CEILING TOO LOW? DO I SPEND THE CASH TO RAISE THE CEILING A FOOT OR SO?

I have a couple of “must-haves”… my wife wants the space to also be used as a media room. I want a projector that can not only display the golf sim in great resolution, but also be able to project HD movies, tv, etc. Also I want to maximize the screen size, so I believe a 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio would work best for my room dimensions (13.8’ wide x 18.8’ deep x 9’ tall).

I looked at Carl's Golf Sim Enclosures, and their 16:10 8.5' x 13' - 181" diagonal screen with a 10' enclosure looks like it would best fit in my space. And after researching on Projector Central, I found an Optoma EH515 TST projector that looks pretty good that projects a WUXGA 16:10 image 180” diagonal, 152.64” wide, 95.4” tall, at a throw distance of 10.50’. I believe this projector would best "fill-out" the screen, however the Optoma doesnt have a zoom feature, so it must be placed exactly 10.5" from the screen. I am concerned with a 9' ceiling that I could potentially hit the projector in my back swing, and also that given that it must be placed at 10.5" there maybe a shadow. Ties into question 1.

Question 2: GIVEN THE ROOM DIMENSIONS, WHAT ASPECT RATIO IS BEST, 4:3, 16:9. 16:10?
    Question 3: IS A CEILING OR FLOOR MOUNTED PROJECTOR BETTER?
    Question 4: ANY RECOMMENDATION ON A BETTER CHOICE FOR A PROJECTOR?

Since I purchased the launch monitor from Foresight Sports, I emailed their design team for their design and components... They gave me a very detailed quote with very nice components - coming in at about $17k USD.

So, I reached out to the fine folks at Par2Pro and they have given me a quote on everything required for a golf cave, and I mean everything... screen mats, computer, projector, baffles, curtains, putting green...everything. And everything has a cost... they quoted me about $12k USD.

I think that if I do it myself, I can purchase everything from Carl's and Amazon for about $8-9k USD.

Question 5: HAS ANYONE USED PAR2PRO FOR THEIR DESIGN, COMPONENTS, INSTALLATION?
    Question 6: IS PAR2PRO WORTH THE EXTRA $3-4K FOR THEIR SERVICES AND "PEACE-OF-MIND" KNOWING THAT EVERYTHING IS ALREADY PACKAGED TOGETHER AND IS GOING TO WORK?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I'll post some pics when I start the build...

Joe

Nice build so far. What turf are you using that goes level with the CCE mat? I’m having trouble finding a turf that will go level with a fiberbuilt hitting strip(similar height to CCE which I also own but will not use as a stance mat- hoping to use turf for stance). I’m looking at 1” MMA EVA mats plus turf and trying to get it up to level with an inserted FB hitting strip but most turf I’m finding is only 1/2 inch thick, which together with 1” EVA comes a little short.

Comment

looks amazing - cant wait to see it all finished. superb

Comment

Originally posted by lawrencejp42 View Post
        You are a true craftsman. I love the ceiling. Did you cut the joists?
        I like the way you created the level surface and I want to do the same. What is the thickness of your 5X5 Real Feel Country Club Elite stance mat?
        Lawrence - would love to take the credit for the ceiling; however, I contracted out the work... far beyond my skill set. The crew did a great job. They had to cut the joists and install collar ties. They also installed an electrical power outlet and ran HDMI cables for the projector.

The stance mat is about 1 1/2 inches thick. The dri-lock tile is 3/4 inch thick and the turf is also 3/4 inch.

Here are some pics from the ceiling construction...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0541.JPEG
Views:	498
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	274446

Name:	IMG_0542.JPEG
Views:	443
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	274447

Name:	IMG_0540.JPEG
Views:	442
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	274448

Comment

Originally posted by Aaijala View Post
          Nice build so far. What turf are you using that goes level with the CCE mat? I’m having trouble finding a turf that will go level with a fiberbuilt hitting strip(similar height to CCE which I also own but will not use as a stance mat- hoping to use turf for stance). I’m looking at 1” MMA EVA mats plus turf and trying to get it up to level with an inserted FB hitting strip but most turf I’m finding is only 1/2 inch thick, which together with 1” EVA comes a little short.
          I ordered the PRO12 Turf from P2P. Its about 3/4 inch thick. When laid over top the dri-lock tiles, its perfectly flush with the stance mat.

Comment

Today, I finished the backstop... must say it turned out great. Kudos to MSUGOGRN for his idea of using memory foam and his installation idea. It works great.

I purchased 1.5 lb mattress foam from a local company called "The Foam Store". They make and cut custom foam. I had (3) 50" x 96" foam "panels" cut to cover the entire screen (my screen is 152 inches wide x 96 inches tall). Each panel is 2 inches thick. I then took 2 inch wide MDF trim boards and sandwiched the foam between and secured with carriage bolts. I purchased 20 feet of bungee cord from Lowes and cut into 12 inch sections to fabricate the hangars. I installed angle iron about 3 inches from the back wall and then simply hung the foam panels. Each panel gives a little which hopefully will lessen the noise from the screen impact as well as prolonging the life of the impact screen.

Here are the pics...

This is one of the foam panels... its still wrapped in plastic.

Name:	IMG_0498.JPEG
Views:	505
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	274455

Here is a pic of the foam sandwiched between the MDF boards and the carriage bolts squeezing the foam...

Name:	IMG_0500.JPEG
Views:	439
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	274456

This is the bungee cord and the hangars... each hangar was cut to 12 inches, after a loop was made on each each the length is 9 inches.

Name:	IMG_0521.JPEG
Views:	442
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	274457

Name:	IMG_0524.JPEG
Views:	436
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	274458

Name:	IMG_0525.JPEG
Views:	441
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	274459

Name:	IMG_0526.JPEG
Views:	435
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	274460

Name:	IMG_0530.JPEG
Views:	439
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	274462
            Attached Files

Comment

• steve51523
              steve51523 commented
              Editing a comment
              how did this end up working out? is it very quiet? how far do the balls bounce back? Think you could do this and only have the impact screen 6 inches from the wall?

• JakeGeezy
              JakeGeezy commented
              Editing a comment
              How much was the foam your ordered?

Great pictures. Really lays out the process for anyone to replicate

Comment

Duplicate post
              Last edited by Virtualadam; 06-12-2020, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Well my build is 99% complete.. I played my first round of golf yesterday . It was awesome.

This picture was taken before I adjusted the graphics and image size. The new and improved image completely "fills-up" the visible screen.

Thanks to everyone for your expertise, advice and motivation to make this dream a reality!

Name:	IMG_0546.JPEG
Views:	408
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	275059

Comment

• dudley286
                  dudley286 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That turned out AMAZING!!!! Great job and thank you for all the pics and updates!!

what projector did you end up going with?

Comment

I went with the Panasonic PT-VZ580U. I like it... it has a great image and the native 16:10 made the most use of my wall / screen size.

Comment

I need to revisit this post. Is the 6 feet wide enough for lefty's and righties? do you have to hit off center?
                    i have enough space to go up just not sure how wide it will be when i do?

Comment

Really cool build! Fun to read about your progression from overwhelmed to ambitious! Congrats man!

Comment

• Bazooka_Joe
                        Bazooka_Joe commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks brother... must say that I am loving it!

Great build. What is the 2” thick turf that you used to trim out the sides? I am looking for something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by mikestuewe View Post
                        Great build. What is the 2” thick turf that you used to trim out the sides? I am looking for something similar.
                        I used the rough turf provided by P2P...

My receipt has it listed as:
                        Rough Turf
                        • 2" Pile Height
                        • Field/Eastern ONLY
                        • 15' Wide roll

Give Preston Hicks a call... he really helped me out a lot.

Comment

How does the putting turf roll? Is it fast/slow?

Comment

Working...
                          X