Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sim Build Finished for now - COVID rush job!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sim Build Finished for now - COVID rush job!

I've been in my house for 5 years, and the entire time I've struggled with how to do an immersive simulator build. I have a 1/2 court basketball court attached to my basement, with windows from the main floor looking down from both inside the house to see what's going on, and outside the house to allow daylight into the room. I wanted to find a way to do a sim build in this room, without taking away from the basketball if we want to play that. Because of my inability to put something together, I've just done a net return, CCE hitting mat and a TV. This has used up a minimal amount of space, and it's broken down quickly when we wanted to play basketball.

Enter COVID. I just wanted a more immersive experience set up ASAP, and decided to pull the trigger quickly 2 weeks ago to get some parts before the country started shutting down. I figured anything was better than nothing. I ended up buying a Carl's Premier Screen 16:10 DIY enclosure. If I had to do it again I'd probably do their largest 4:3. Same 13.5' across, but 10' tall instead of 8.5' tall. I just never really considered another other than 16:10 thinking it would be inferior, but right now I'd really love to have the extra 1.5' in height since my ceilings in this room are 18' tall. I love the 13.5' wide screen, it's PLENTY big. I could have went much, much bigger and I'm glad I didn't.

I bought a slightly used EIKI EK308U projector. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this projector. It's 6000 lumens, native WUXGA 16:10 resolution, and in full daylight creates a nice image on the screen. It is the projector that ForeSight uses for their Sim-In-A-Box systems. Not having to worry about lighting my hitting area because I can play with the lights on is awesome. I have it mounted 20' away from the screen, I hit 11' away from the screen and I get no shadows. Seriously, Take a look at the photos. The last one of the kids playing Switch was with the full lighting turned on inside the gym and the screen still looks amazing.

And of course, and I knew we would, we have used this area for lots more than golf since putting it together 2 weeks ago. Video games, family game night, kids watching movies, and my daughter live-streaming her dance classes on a 190" screen is awesome. Wish I would have done this 5 years ago! I think it's actually less of an impact on the room than the old setup was.

i wish I could find a $1,000 used EIKI EK-308U on Ebay for $1,000. Great deal

Comment

I saw that you wrote about going from 16:10 to taller 4:3 aspect ratio. But wouldn't that hurt screen resolution in a big way?

Comment

Nice set up....... padded floor and a few kids to chase balls and you are all set.

Comment

Originally posted by walb0034 View Post
          I've been in my house for 5 years, and the entire time I've struggled with how to do an immersive simulator build. I have a 1/2 court basketball court attached to my basement, with windows from the main floor looking down from both inside the house to see what's going on, and outside the house to allow daylight into the room. I wanted to find a way to do a sim build in this room, without taking away from the basketball if we want to play that. Because of my inability to put something together, I've just done a net return, CCE hitting mat and a TV. This has used up a minimal amount of space, and it's broken down quickly when we wanted to play basketball.

Enter COVID. I just wanted a more immersive experience set up ASAP, and decided to pull the trigger quickly 2 weeks ago to get some parts before the country started shutting down. I figured anything was better than nothing. I ended up buying a Carl's Premier Screen 16:10 DIY enclosure. If I had to do it again I'd probably do their largest 4:3. Same 13.5' across, but 10' tall instead of 8.5' tall. I just never really considered another other than 16:10 thinking it would be inferior, but right now I'd really love to have the extra 1.5' in height since my ceilings in this room are 18' tall. I love the 13.5' wide screen, it's PLENTY big. I could have went much, much bigger and I'm glad I didn't.

I bought a slightly used EIKI EK308U projector. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this projector. It's 6000 lumens, native WUXGA 16:10 resolution, and in full daylight creates a nice image on the screen. It is the projector that ForeSight uses for their Sim-In-A-Box systems. Not having to worry about lighting my hitting area because I can play with the lights on is awesome. I have it mounted 20' away from the screen, I hit 11' away from the screen and I get no shadows. Seriously, Take a look at the photos. The last one of the kids playing Switch was with the full lighting turned on inside the gym and the screen still looks amazing.

And of course, and I knew we would, we have used this area for lots more than golf since putting it together 2 weeks ago. Video games, family game night, kids watching movies, and my daughter live-streaming her dance classes on a 190" screen is awesome. Wish I would have done this 5 years ago! I think it's actually less of an impact on the room than the old setup was.

I'm jealous of your sport court and sim set-up - well done.

I'm working on my garage build and struggling with screen size. I have 11' ceilings, so I have the room for a 4:3 screen but planned on getting a 13x8 16:10 res. Why would you do it differently?

Comment

Working...
          X